No high speed fan - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

No high speed fan

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #1

No high speed fan

I have no hi speed blower motor. I have replaced the fan switch, the blower relay,and still have ni High speed, on a/c or vent or anything. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: No high speed fan

I have this exact same problem. I replaced the blower motor resistor inside the housing ($10 for an AC Delco brand new part), also replaced blower motor, blower motor relays, and the HVAC control unit all with brand new AC Delco parts, still didn't figure out how to fix it...
Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #3

same problem, on the 2000 S10 which wire(s) control the high setting? I'm getting low (somewhat) but no high fan.

I know the lower settings go though the resistor and I changed the relay. Another thing I noticed was lack of 12 volts at the plug when set on "high"

The HVAC fuses in the dash panel are good

Help!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
4 wheels aren't as fun

our 2006 chevy work truck was doing that and it was the plug/wires from the motor to the control.
for that truck it was a service bulletin. they gave us a new plug with heavier wires and connectors and now it works.
but ours was a plug inside the truck to the heater box. didn't even have to take anything off the dash to fix.
I would bet you guys have the same problem.

http://www.motorcity1.com/TSB_Heater.htm

Last edited by serpentracer; 12-30-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

I know this article is old, but I have had the very same issue now forever. I have replaced the blower motor, Hvac control module on the HVAC housing under the hood and today I replaced the blower switch on the dash, yet still cant get number 4 speed to work. Sometimes it does pop on and work and other times it wont. Where abouts is this hush panel/close out panel located . I have a 2001 S10 2.2 litre.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
m m m myyyyy sonoma

Sometimes my high fan speed starts working if I pound my fist on the dash, but it usually stops the next time I go over a bump. Oh, well.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #7

Samething here eyeofthetiger. It comes on at odd times and not when you wan it to come on, im thinking its a bad ground or short in the wire. Myabe a factory issue?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #8

You know I had a similar issue. My fan would only blow on low and would stop working altogether at times. And if I turned my heat on and off real fast my abs and brake light would flash...

Anyway it turned out to be my ignition switch (by ignition switch I mean the cluster of wires attached to the ignition). I looked closely and the plastic was slightly melted by the contacts and they were corroded. Swapped out the ignition switch and the fan worked perfectly on all settings. It also got rid of the flashing lights. Its been over 6 months and its still running great.

I've read up on it and it seems bad ignition switches can cause some strange electrical problems with stuff like blower motors and electric windows in s10's. That might be your problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by SunnyDeez
You know I had a similar issue. My fan would only blow on low and would stop working altogether at times. And if I turned my heat on and off real fast my abs and brake light would flash...

Anyway it turned out to be my ignition switch (by ignition switch I mean the cluster of wires attached to the ignition). I looked closely and the plastic was slightly melted by the contacts and they were corroded. Swapped out the ignition switch and the fan worked perfectly on all settings. It also got rid of the flashing lights. Its been over 6 months and its still running great.

I've read up on it and it seems bad ignition switches can cause some strange electrical problems with stuff like blower motors and electric windows in s10's. That might be your problem.
Yes i was reading about this also in another post, I guess it would be worth a shot at looking at it. I hate chasing down electrical gremlins. This morning when i got onto the on ramp for highway 70, I hah forgotten i had the blower switch set on number 4, well when i hit the gas to speed up, it came on, but wasnt working before??? Im trying to make note of when it does come on and what was done when it came on, in hopes to track it down to the problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #10

Oh sunny, question, when you replace your ignition switch can you use your old key or do you have a new one you have to use? I know this is probably a dumb question, but the way the make cars now and days, I never know what to expect.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #11

You dont need a new ignition. Its easy to swap. Just drop the steering wheel and its cake.

Heres a link to the part on ebay. They have cheaper versions, but ACdelco is always the way to go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACDEL...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #12

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.