Manual Transmission Fluid - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Manual Transmission Fluid

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password


 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
Location:
User is: OffLine
Manual Transmission Fluid

I have 2000 5-speed chevy s-10 pickup. I just bought it and want to change the transmission fluid. Can someone tell me what type I need to use, and the capacity? Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
I break stuff.
 
Hiigara's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 115
Location: Springfield, MO
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

I use Royal Purple Synchromax - it's listed as a "transmission additive" but it's actually the fluid the NV1500 transmissions use. Usually 3Qt does it for me.

(Filling tip: Get 4ft or so of 3/8" ID Nylon tubing from Lowe's or somewhere, run it through your driver's side wheel well along the frame rail to the fill hole - makes it insanely easier to fill the transmission)
Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Powder Coat Specialist
 
xtrememeasures10's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,717
Location: St Louis Area
User is: Online
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid


I bought a 12ft garden hose, cut the ends off and to a reasonable length and a funnel. drop it down from under my hood put it in the trans and dump it in the funnel til its full.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Tech Mod
 
beandip's Avatar

 
Age: 26
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 29,308
Location: South, OK
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Also unscrew the fill plug first not the drain. if for some reason you cant get the fill plug off and the transmission is drained...well you get the idea.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Powder Coat Specialist
 
xtrememeasures10's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,717
Location: St Louis Area
User is: Online
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by beandip
Also unscrew the fill plug first not the drain. if for some reason you cant get the fill plug off and the transmission is drained...well you get the idea.
^^^ I dont know why i didnt throw that in. Thats very important, or your in for a big headache.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
4 wheels aren't as fun
 
serpentracer's Avatar
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,941
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

just use 5w motor oil. it works a hell of a lot better than the over priced (basically atf) synchromesh fluid.
I've used synthetic motor oil in mine since 2000 or so.

Last edited by serpentracer; 05-20-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
Tech Mod
 
beandip's Avatar

 
Age: 26
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 29,308
Location: South, OK
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

^ not going to start shit but that has been covered before, i wouldnt do it.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
4 wheels aren't as fun
 
serpentracer's Avatar
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,941
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

already been done. been using it for more than 150k miles.
most transmissions use oil. just like a motorcycle does.

you can't use "gear" oil. it's way too thick. 5w motor oil is just about the same viscosity as the synchromesh.

Last edited by serpentracer; 05-21-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
BTR
 
misfitsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,108
Location: prestonsburg ky.
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Can't you just take the shifter out of the top of the tranny and pour it in that way? I was told you can, but have never tried.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
Registered Un-dependent
 
Mechnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,802
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer
already been done. been using it for more than 150k miles.
most transmissions use oil. just like a motorcycle does.

you can't use "gear" oil. it's way too thick. 5w motor oil is just about the same viscosity as the synchromesh.
Motorcycle oil has additives for the shearing that transmissions do to oil plus friction modifiers.... In the end it's your truck though..you could use water if you want... I use the Royal Purple and it fixed a problem with my 2nd gear syncro- smooth as silk now
Old 05-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Better post-em.
 
comics22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,620
Location: Middle of freakin IL
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

owners manual should say...

i think my 95 is just reg ol 80w90 gear oil...
Old 10-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 25
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

dam auto store sold me 80x90 gear oil for my trans, I didn't even look at the bottle. Well until the thing would not shift. Lucky for me i drained it they gave me a nice store credit and the right pensoil syncro oil for free! A good day.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Age: 22
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by xtrememeasures10
^^^ I dont know why i didnt throw that in. Thats very important, or your in for a big headache.
lol you could flip the car over, thus turning the drain plug into the fill plug
Old 10-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Team Sheen
 
TobyTheSandwich's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,673
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by 198s10
dam auto store sold me 80x90 gear oil for my trans, I didn't even look at the bottle. Well until the thing would not shift. Lucky for me i drained it they gave me a nice store credit and the right pensoil syncro oil for free! A good day.
Ehhhhhh. Let us know if it didn't screw your transmission up bad.

Always check the bottle first.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Registered User
 
skfury440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 935
Location: Anchorage
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by Mechnix
I use the Royal Purple and it fixed a problem with my 2nd gear syncro- smooth as silk now
How bad was your 2nd gear syncro? Mine has been bad for about a year now, the transmission shop said it would be cheaper to find a used tranny but I still haven't found one. I might try that though if it actually made a difference, my syncro grinds anytime I shift into 2nd when I'm not at the right rpm. A lot of times it just drops right in but sometimes especially in the winter when it's easy to spin tires it just doesn't. Anything similar to what you had?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 25
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by TobyTheSandwich
Ehhhhhh. Let us know if it didn't screw your transmission up bad.

Always check the bottle first.
2nd gear grinded once today, but other then the one time she is smooth . The truck has 203,000 miles. New rear end is on its way and i may find a cheap low mile 5 speed to install in it.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #17
Registered User
 
chris14029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 181
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

where dose one even begin to search for the new venture tranny, i have never been able to find one. i dont need one mine is in perfect con. but just woundering
Old 10-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #18
Registered User
 
mikecrts's Avatar
 
Age: 20
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Location: Vandalia, MI
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

I used Penzoil Syncromesh in my Jeep with a speed before I turned it into an all time trail rig and still use it after beating the piss out of the tranny and clutch. It is cheaper than the Royal Purple and I believe the same quality for less price.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #19
Team Sheen
 
TobyTheSandwich's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,673
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by chris14029
where dose one even begin to search for the new venture tranny, i have never been able to find one. i dont need one mine is in perfect con. but just woundering
what do you mean? the NV1500 can just be looked up by "s10 transmission" and the given year. It's pretty simple. Not many people go by transmission codes unless they are autos.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 25
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

i stripped my bolt... anybody wanna send me one there arent using or tell me where to get a new one..?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
alway's changing somethin
 
S10dude's Avatar

 
Age: 61
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 48,610
Location: Sacramento,Ca.
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

nope
Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
Powder Coat Specialist
 
xtrememeasures10's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,717
Location: St Louis Area
User is: Online
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by chrisinator13
i stripped my bolt... anybody wanna send me one there arent using or tell me where to get a new one..?
Get it out w/ a large bolt extractor and get one from the dealer. or a hardware store dude.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
Registered User
 
Age: 66
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 24
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Bought a used sonoma. 97 4.3 5spd... The Lub in the transmission is a Black Thin Oil.. I just put a slave cyl in it. drained the transmission and did not know whether to put it back in or replace... What the heck does the Correct stuff look like????? So far, its back in the transmission while if figure this out...
Old 10-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
Registered Un-dependent
 
Mechnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,802
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by skfury440
How bad was your 2nd gear syncro? Mine has been bad for about a year now, the transmission shop said it would be cheaper to find a used tranny but I still haven't found one. I might try that though if it actually made a difference, my syncro grinds anytime I shift into 2nd when I'm not at the right rpm. A lot of times it just drops right in but sometimes especially in the winter when it's easy to spin tires it just doesn't. Anything similar to what you had?
Not super bad... just noticed it after buying truck, when it was cold and usually on the second shift into second it would act up... been fine now for years with the R/P-syncromesh
Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
It's "Neanderthal"
 
SH-60B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,991
Location: Meriden/CT/USA
User is: OffLine
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid

Quote: Originally Posted by cobraearl
Bought a used sonoma. 97 4.3 5spd... The Lub in the transmission is a Black Thin Oil.. I just put a slave cyl in it. drained the transmission and did not know whether to put it back in or replace... What the heck does the Correct stuff look like????? So far, its back in the transmission while if figure this out...
AC Delco Synchromesh friction modified part number 88900399. You need to buy 3 quarts and fill it till it runs out the filler plug while the truck's level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2011, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.