Major Issue! Crank Position Sensor broke off in block! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Major Issue! Crank Position Sensor broke off in block!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Go big or go home

User is: OffLine
Angry Major Issue! Crank Position Sensor broke off in block!

Things started out bad. Im working on a 2000 s-10 and the bolt holding the sensor in was rusted and almost rounded off. Next, upon working on the sensor itself, it broke in half . Half of the sensor is still in the block! Ive tried screwing a sheet rock screw into the center of it and pulling it out and using some other forms of mechanic advantage but with my knuckles turning white, the threads gave out and the screw started pulling out. Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to do here. My last resort is drilling it out because I cant get a straight shot at it. There is too much in the way. Id have to jack up the motor to access it with a drill. Im stumped here. Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

Jeremy

Last edited by Dont-Own-A-S10; 05-09-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
AVTekk is my HERO

Re: Major Issue! Crank Position Sensor broke off in block!

dunno if you can get like a reverse threaded screw and screw into it and pull it out? I'd need to see the situation to know really i'm almost gonna bet your gonna need to pull the motor out or whatever to get a clean shot at it... I dunno
Old 05-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Gone Fisting!

Oh snap.....my guess if it broke off is your going to have to pull the pan and hope to get lucky..
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Go big or go home

I will take some pictures tonight and have them posted at some time in the wee hours of the morning.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
Go big or go home

Ive been trying to knock it loose for a while by actually driving it in. Once it knocks loose, then I will try to pull it back out. Now, I havent been able to make it budge. Im wondering if there is anything that keeps it from going in further than it already is.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
Go big or go home

Ok, its picture time. First picture is of the new sensor compaired to what broke off the old one. Second one is the screw going through the center of whats left of the sensor that Im using to pull on. Third is of the vice grips to grab the sensor. Forth is the same, just a different angle. In the last picture you can see the screw driver handle im using as a pivot point to give me a better mechanical advantage on that screw. Im bending the vice grips over the handle and it pulls screw (obviously... just trying to erase any possibilities of confusion here). So there ya go. Now you can fully understand and see whats going on.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:51 AM   #7
Ross Racing Engines

The reluctor ring on the crank is keeping you from pushing it in. If you can, try heating up the steel where the sensor goes. The expansion may give you enough slack to pull it on out.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:52 AM   #8
AVTekk is my HERO

is it not budgine is the screw sliding out what? if the screw isnt sliding off make sure the vice grips are hella tight and yank that fuc|<er outta there
Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
Go big or go home

Wayfastwhitey, Shouldn't there be a gap between the sensor and the ring? It's probably not much but I dont think it's right up against it.

Spyonyou, It's not budging. The screw is in so tight that it feels like it will snap the head off if I tighten it anymore. Those vice grips are on there harder than I ever throught I could possibly get them and they still slide off and pull the threads off the screw.

I haven't given up yet and I dont take NO for an answer, so we'll see how this goes.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
Ross Racing Engines

You're only talking about a few thousandths gap between the two. Like I said, try heading up the mount boss.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #11
Go big or go home

Smile Re: Major Issue! Crank Position Sensor broke off in block!

Finally some good news. Ive made much progress. I spent a little more than 6 hours today working on this thing and its coming along pretty good . Like I said, I dont take NO for an answer and I just dont see justice in pulling an engine for a $20 sensor. So, I made a tool for myself and it works great. I took a small slide hammer with threads on the end of the shaft and I found 2 nuts that thread on. I then threaded them on about 2" apart and welded them to a pair of vice grips. I gripped the screw that I was using to pull out the sensor with and went to town. First 10 slides of the hammer and I noticed it was working. It moved about 1mm but it was progress. I got the sensor to come out to the point where I can see the metal part of the sensor, then the plastic split and the screw kept sliding out. I then drilled a pilot hole down the center of what was left of the sensor and really ancored the screw in it. Put the vice grips on it and hammered away. I couldnt believe what happened next. The internals of the sensor came out and left the metal casing in the bore. Like I did before, I took a screw and penetrated the metal and then vice gripped that. Of course it pulled out and only enlarged the hole so I kept doing it, each time with a larger screw/bolt. I got it to the point where the hole as the size of the bore. I then stuffed some paper towels through the hole to keep shavings from entering the inside of the engine and used my dremel with a mini carbide bit and went to town on the metal casing that was left over from the sensor. I got side tracked after that but with a few more minutes it should be out. I just so pleased that it's nearing the end of this hell ride and I can soon get this kid his truck back. Ill post pictures tomorrow when this whole thing is finished up of what happened the sensor and the tool so anyone in the future with this problem can try this idea out before they take the plunge and pull the engine.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #12
Hello there!

Those sensors do that all the time. Normally technicians resort to taking the oil pan off and tapping the sensor out from the inside.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Sprint Car Addict.

mine just did this..... Dont-Own-A-S10....thanks for posting that....i am going to do this right now...can you take pics of the tool you made?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
is a fungineer

Well, since he hasn't logged on in 4 years, I doubt it.

View Profile: Dont-Own-A-S10Dont-Own-A-S10 OffLine
Go big or go home
Last Activity: 09-22-2006 03:07 PM

:edit: His profile has an AIM screenname, try seeing if he's on there?

Last edited by ka_jd7and1; 07-22-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
Sprint Car Addict.

wow i didnt realize how old this post was.....sorry guys!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
is a fungineer

At least you're searching....
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
Sprint Car Addict.

exactly....lol....i got it out and new one in....she runs now....but something is leaking down the back on the motor and dripping right onto the y-pipe...i cant tell what it is because it burns off right away....
Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #18

I found a much simpler solution. After the plastic broke off I used sandpaper wrapped around my finger to clean out the hole in the block. I used wet dry 220 paper soaked in WD40. It is tedious and you just have to keep working at it. It took an hour of rubbing to give me the clearance to pull it out with a screw. The good news is it made a big difference in how the engine ran.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
Forum Dictator

I was going to say to get a plug that fits in the hole.

Use the oil from previous oil change. Put the plug in but a little gap to sip the oil in to the very top and plug it. Wait for a while to let oil soak in there to make it easier to pull out. Remember it's very dry as you pull it out, having lube and to seep thru past o-ring will help even more.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #20

I had to replace my sensor today. Its been sputtering and randomly dying lately, which was a combination of a dying battery and this sensor. Luckily mines an 03, so there wasn't much trouble. After reading through this thread, I was very careful not to break the plastic off. I soaked the whole thing in b'laster. When the sensor came, I stuck some sandpaper between the plastic and engine case, and did a little sanding. Got it out, and cleaned it up a little better on the inside. The o'reily sensor was too big, I guess due to manufacturing problems. An autozone sensor fit perfectly. Runs fine now, although haven't had time to drive it for a full test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.