Intake "Pop" on startup - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Intake "Pop" on startup

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #1

Intake "Pop" on startup

Hi everyone

got a 95 sonoma 2.2.. 10,000 miles ago i put on a brand new cylinder head (old one was cracked), timing chain and tensioner. recently when i go to start the truck, warm or cold start, it pops through the intake. it fires up and runs great after that, i don't get it. no loss of power, no smoke or anything. when i did the head, i cleaned the egr and injectors, new o-rings around injectors, new gaskets everywhere, new IAC valve, new plugs, wires, etc. i followed the head installation procedure and torquing specs in the chiltons to a T. the truck has 192,000 miles on it. any additional questions i can answer about the truck just let me know. i appreciate everyone's input!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
It's "Neanderthal"

User is: OffLine
Re: Intake "Pop" on startup

You might have a leaking injector.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #3

Since your engine repairs were 10,000 miles ago and the issue recently occurred, the list of what you did is a bit of a Red Herring.
The first thing that comes to mind when you mention intake popping is lean mixture,but you didnt list the long and short term fuel trim data. I would expect that monitoring the oxygen sensor voltage during the popping, would provide useful information.
Another piece of useful information would be the fuel pressure during the popping compared to the fuel pressure when the popping stops.
A lot of guys here seem to have coil issues, and repeat coil issues if they use aftermarket coils. I doubt a popping would be caused by a coil, but it wouldnt hurt to spray them down with a fine water mist and watch for arcing.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

thank you for the suggestions fellas. i'll certainly check out the coils. the odd thing about the popping is that some days it will happen a couple times. others, it starts up just fine all day long. eventually i'll find the culprit!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #5

try turning the key and wait for the pump to stop priming before starting and see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.