I need a more serious heater core flush suggestion - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

I need a more serious heater core flush suggestion

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
I need a more serious heater core flush suggestion

heat has been a problem since i just bought my truck (94 s10 pickup 4cyl), replaced the thermostat and then deduced that my heater core was obviously quite clogged (in-flow is very hot, out-flow was cold).

so i took it to a self serve car wash, and stuck the nozzle to the in-flow pipe and now the in-flow is very hot, out-flow is only luke-warm, making the inside heat work maybe 40-50% of its whole power.

the truck i bought, had been sitting for about a year so i figure the is alot of buildup of gunk in the heater core, so is there anything else anyone can suggest that i throw at it (or in it more-less) to clean this thing out?

Id prefer a method that would be quick, but all suggestions are welcome (and i live in an apartment with no water-hose)

maybe i should go back and put the power-washer through the out-flow tube of the core and let it flow out the other in-flow tube too? or will the pressure maybe hurt the core?

thanks-
Mark
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #2

Re: I need a more serious heater core flush suggestion

get a new core
Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
4 Doors FTW

I don't think you should try putting a power washer to it again. I think you dodged a bullet on that one.

I know you said you live in an apartment complex with no hose-pipe available, but that would be the best thing to use IF you could find one. An easy back and forth a few times will get some stuff out. Then maybe try putting some of the prestone cleaner in and let soak for a while before flushing with the hose-pipe again.

Maybe that will save you from getting a new core right now. Hope that helps a little.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
gmo
Fixer of Everything broke

i say a new core cause what says that it wont happen a little down the road its only 38.00 a advanced auto parts
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #5

If you put in about a cup of CLR and run the engine warm for about 15 minutes, heater cranked high of course. This should break down the calcium deposits that are causing your problem. I wouldn't recommend any longer due to the fact that the CLR "could" cause some issues with seals. A plugged heater core is caused by people not putting "Distilled water" and quality coolant in the cooling system. I'm not saying that this is the end all be all to fix your issue but it's easier then tearing the dash out to change a heater core. (not so much fun from experience)

Tom
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 AM   #6

sounds good everyone, also does anyone think the prestone radiator/coolant system cleaner would do anything?

and on the note of heater core install, the only heater core ive ever installed was on an 85 caprice (which is all under the hood) so it was easier than anything.

but as for s10`s, my haynes book says i need to disconnect the steering column and other stuff, is the a heater core install really this complex on these trucks?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Ticket Magnet

User is: Online

Get the cleaner, not the flush. Follow the directions, then find someplace to flush heater core in both directions...not the pressure wash.

BTW...it is a pain in the butt to change the core.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Ticket Magnet

Quote: Originally Posted by Tomcat1983
heater cranked high of course.
This really will not make a difference in our trucks as there is no water shut-off valve to the core. Heat is determined by an electric door on top of the core case.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by mklimek4
sounds good everyone, also does anyone think the prestone radiator/coolant system cleaner would do anything?

and on the note of heater core install, the only heater core ive ever installed was on an 85 caprice (which is all under the hood) so it was easier than anything.

but as for s10`s, my haynes book says i need to disconnect the steering column and other stuff, is the a heater core install really this complex on these trucks?
I believe the complete dash board has to come out to do the core, just like the v-6. Takes the usual guy probably 6+ hrs...not fun
Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #10

just on the off chance it may work, i switched the in and out hoses to back flush the system, and now its blowing out scolding hot. cant believe it worked.

but now im worried that there is some amount of crap floating around my system. should i drain the system and refill?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit
This really will not make a difference in our trucks as there is no water shut-off valve to the core. Heat is determined by an electric door on top of the core case.
lol good point, my bad.

Tom
Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by mklimek4
just on the off chance it may work, i switched the in and out hoses to back flush the system, and now its blowing out scolding hot. cant believe it worked.

but now im worried that there is some amount of crap floating around my system. should i drain the system and refill?

Can't hurt for the cost of it.

Tom
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
gmo
Fixer of Everything broke

yeah replacing the core is a pain but also it gives you that piece of mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.