I have no idea what is wrong with my truck. HELP! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

I have no idea what is wrong with my truck. HELP!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
I have no idea what is wrong with my truck. HELP!

Hey, I have a 2000 Chevy S10 2wd 2.2L 4 Cylinder automatic. It is hard to explain what my truck is doing but ill try to explain it and hopefully you guys can understand. I stop at a stop sign or a stoplight and then when I push the accelerator to go it like hesitates to go, like it putt putts and then it doesn't accelerate anymore after a few seconds. (The truck is still running and everything) It kinda feels like if no gas is going to the motor or something. So then I have to put it in park, turn off the truck and then turn it back on and everything is good. It happens once or twice every time I drive it. Does anyone might know what this can be? I took it to the shop and they ran all sorts of tests on it and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

-Thank you!
Jae_Hampton
Old 11-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
always something new

Re: I have no idea what is wrong with my truck. HELP!

that's a default limp mode and you reset it when you shut it off so it comes
out of limp mode....mine did that and it was the connection at the big fuse box under hood for relays..the battery connection from battery was dirty and the ecu was getting a bad connection for power. clean all battery connections and grounds
Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
The photo terrorist

I have had similiar symp from simply a clogged fuel filter .Power would come on and off .Just a simple suggestion if electrical is good as stated above ..
Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by S10dude
that's a default limp mode and you reset it when you shut it off so it comes
out of limp mode....mine did that and it was the connection at the big fuse box under hood for relays..the battery connection from battery was dirty and the ecu was getting a bad connection for power. clean all battery connections and grounds
Alright cool. Thanks! Ill go check that out right now.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by postal
I have had similiar symp from simply a clogged fuel filter .Power would come on and off .Just a simple suggestion if electrical is good as stated above ..
Yeah I got a couple people saying the same thing. The guy at the shop said it was fine and if it was the fuel filter then the problem would be going on all the time. But I am going to buy the fuel filter anyways and put it on myself, it wont hurt. Thanks you!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
johnny drama

i would look at the throttle position sensor
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #7

I've got a 94 2.2 with the same issue.

New fuel pump (just last week)

New fuel filter about 7k miles ago

New 02 sensor about 10k miles ago

New throttle body sensor about 10k miles ago

still keeps cutting out on me, it hesitates only when at lower speeds, flat out dies sometimes at stop signs or stoplights, chugs like a fuggin frog on crack and nobody can seem to figure out what it is. i'm DOA right now, had to pull over. the thing is, i drive all over the place. lately it's been on a tow truck more than it's been under my command, seems like.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
Better post-em.

a sticky EGR valve will do this. simple test is to undo the vacum connection to it, plug the vacum line with a golf tee or bolt and try driving it around.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #9

You might want to check (or have checked) the idle air controller. I'm told now, this has been the issue all along. I have spent almost $2,000 throwing parts at it for the last year. The IAC was the first thing that was changed! But I'm being told now by a dealership mechanic that not only was it installed incorrectly, but that it was installed with only one gasket, and it supposedly needs two.

I'm looking at parts sites for said gasket, but can't find it. I can find IAC's all over the place, but not seeing gaskets sold with it. I'm really at the mercy of whatever a mechanic says, because when the truck is not running it ends up at "Joe's Shop" usually on a tow truck. Not a mechanic, lol, i just wish i was in my spare time to rake in the $100 hourly diagnostic fees.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #10

I have changed the fuel filter and had some more people checked my truck out to see what the problem is and still no one can find what is wrong with the stupid thing. I talked to a friends friend of mine and he said he has had the same problem. He told me if I put any additives like octane booster in my fuel tank, and I said yes. (Right after i did so, that is when the problem actually started happening) He told me that the additives effect the catalyst converter. He said once he replaced it, that the problem never happened again. So I'm going to replace it and see what the result is. Has anyone put additives in the fuel tank and had this problem??
Old 12-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by Jae_Hampton
I have changed the fuel filter and had some more people checked my truck out to see what the problem is and still no one can find what is wrong with the stupid thing. I talked to a friends friend of mine and he said he has had the same problem. He told me if I put any additives like octane booster in my fuel tank, and I said yes. (Right after i did so, that is when the problem actually started happening) He told me that the additives effect the catalyst converter. He said once he replaced it, that the problem never happened again. So I'm going to replace it and see what the result is. Has anyone put additives in the fuel tank and had this problem??
I meant to say Catalytic Converter.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Varides.com

TPS sensor. Or check your electrical.

To check the tps just hook up a scanner and monitor the truck while running or off. The tps voltage should go up with the gas pedal down and voltage should decrease when let off.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Broke down

The catalytic converter should throw a code for down stream O2.

However, I've had a similar issue, the cat came apart and left a "ball" inside, this ball would make its way back and block off the exhaust and cause the engine to choke itself out.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by Jae_Hampton

Before you wast 2-300 dollars on a new cat!!!!!!! Plug it up to a scan tool. Nothing worse than a parts hanger. Any decent shop will have one that can monitor the flow through the cats from the o2 sensors. I highly doubt it would be the cat.

Last edited by boostedef123; 12-03-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #15

Mine was doing the same thing. I replaced my trans filter, fluid flush, installed a new tps sensor and fuel filter. I figured all needed changed. I wish I would of figured out which was the culprit, but I figured all needed replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.