How To: Serpentine belt remove/install - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How To: Serpentine belt remove/install

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Better post-em.

User is: Online
How To: Serpentine belt remove/install

HOW TO: Change A Serpentine Belt on a 1994-2003 2.2L Chevy S-10

First make sure you have the proper tools. You will need either a serpentine belt removal/installation tool (available at most auto parts stores) or a 3/8” drive breaker bar.

First you will need to buy a new belt. There are different sizes /styles/ price ranges. I highly recommend the Dayco Poly Cog belt from Advanced Auto Parts (Same store as Checker, Parts America, etc) Any auto parts store carries belts so its up to you and they will assist you so you buy the right belt.

Start by making sure you can get to everything safely. Your engine compartment may or may not look like the following pictures as I have done several other modifications.

I used a 3/8” drive breaker bar. Insert the square end into the corresponding square hole in the belt tensioner as shown. CAUTION: DO NOT place a socket over the bolt that is lower than the hole, this will release the tensioner from the truck and can cause injury or damage. To release the tension, pull the handle in the direction of the arrow. While holding it back, slide the belt off any of the pulleys. Then SLOWLY release the tensioner.

Weave the belt out from around the pulleys and the fan (not shown) until it is free from the truck.

Then open your new belt and compare the sizes to make sure they’re the same. NOTE: The new belt might be slightly smaller than the old one as the old one has stretched and wore out with time.

To reinstall: Follow the belt routing diagram commonly found on the core support at the front of the truck.

Once the belt is crudely wrapped around each pulley as the diagram shows, to reinstall its much easier if the last part you have to slip over is on the backside of the belt (non ribbed side) as shown in the picture.

Then with one hand pull the tentioner the same direction as you did to remove the old belt. Then with your free hand slip the last bit of belt over the pulley. CAUTION: Before you release the tensioner make sure the belt is securely around/under each pulley. If not the belt could slip off and cause damage/injury.

Once you are certain it’s all lined up, slowly release the tensioner. The belt should become snug.

Now start the truck with the hood open and look at the belt making sure its riding in the middle of each pulley.

You have successfully replaced a serpentine belt. The same concept and cautionary statements apply to every car equipped with a serpentine belt so you can use your knowledge to replace any belt on any car.

if an admin could please link this in the sticky under the general tuneup section that would be great.

I had to make a small how to or instruction manual as a school project, so i chose something easy but useful, thats why it sounds all proper grammar and whatnot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Currently Spoolin

User is: OffLine
Re: HOWTO: Serpintine belt removal/instalation

Nice write up man good job.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Forum Dictator

Re: How To: Serpentine belt remove/install

Done and done
Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Better post-em.

sweet thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #5

Very Nice Thanks alot
Old 06-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #6

this was very helpful, i just replaced the a/c compressor on my 95 2.2l s10 and my dumb ass was actually crankin on the bolt instead of the little square slot and the bolt was turning so i was like wait wtf, i better go look this shit up haha
turned out pretty good though everything works perfect just gotta get the lines vacuumed, go ahead and replace all of my o rings since i have a whole pack of them and get it filled up with some lube and leak dye
Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #7

I remove tension from the bottom, easier for me.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #8
Better post-em.

i would but i don't like to be under things that have alot of tension and force that could fly off THEN fall on my head haha.

if the breaker bar/socket wrench happens to slip out of the hole or belt slips off the tentioner is gonna fling the pully down (i have seen them break) it can send shards of broken tensioner at your face or even small rust particles in your eyes if your under it.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #9

VERY nice write-up......I feel like such a dumb@$$ now, lol. Now that I know how to release the tension on the belt, I have to figure out how to get the fan/clutch, and water pump pulley off so I can replace my water pump, ugh.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Better post-em.

if its a 94-97 then you just have to remove 4 nuts as seen above, if its 98+ then you need to rent or make a special fork tool to hold it and i THINK its a left hand thread to get it off...
Old 09-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
Banned

Quote: Originally Posted by comics22
HOW TO: Change A Serpentine Belt on a 1994-2003 2.2L Chevy S-10

First make sure you have the proper tools. You will need either a serpentine belt removal/installation tool (available at most auto parts stores) or a 3/8” drive breaker bar.

First you will need to buy a new belt. There are different sizes /styles/ price ranges. I highly recommend the Dayco Poly Cog belt from Advanced Auto Parts (Same store as Checker, Parts America, etc) Any auto parts store carries belts so its up to you and they will assist you so you buy the right belt.

Start by making sure you can get to everything safely. Your engine compartment may or may not look like the following pictures as I have done several other modifications.

I used a 3/8” drive breaker bar. Insert the square end into the corresponding square hole in the belt tensioner as shown. CAUTION: DO NOT place a socket over the bolt that is lower than the hole, this will release the tensioner from the truck and can cause injury or damage. To release the tension, pull the handle in the direction of the arrow. While holding it back, slide the belt off any of the pulleys. Then SLOWLY release the tensioner.

Weave the belt out from around the pulleys and the fan (not shown) until it is free from the truck.
how to replace a serpentine belt

Then open your new belt and compare the sizes to make sure they’re the same. NOTE: The new belt might be slightly smaller than the old one as the old one has stretched and wore out with time.

To reinstall: Follow the belt routing diagram commonly found on the core support at the front of the truck.

Once the belt is crudely wrapped around each pulley as the diagram shows, to reinstall its much easier if the last part you have to slip over is on the backside of the belt (non ribbed side) as shown in the picture.

Then with one hand pull the tentioner the same direction as you did to remove the old belt. Then with your free hand slip the last bit of belt over the pulley. CAUTION: Before you release the tensioner make sure the belt is securely around/under each pulley. If not the belt could slip off and cause damage/injury.

Once you are certain it’s all lined up, slowly release the tensioner. The belt should become snug.

Now start the truck with the hood open and look at the belt making sure its riding in the middle of each pulley.

You have successfully replaced a serpentine belt. The same concept and cautionary statements apply to every car equipped with a serpentine belt so you can use your knowledge to replace any belt on any car.

if an admin could please link this in the sticky under the general tuneup section that would be great.

I had to make a small how to or instruction manual as a school project, so i chose something easy but useful, thats why it sounds all proper grammar and whatnot

Typically, the heart of the routing network, you need the right size for the key and push or pull with the other hand, releasing the belt tension. When the tension is released, use the other hand, move the belt out.

Most vehicles are in the engine compartment to replace the Velcro strap to ensure it is correct. Otherwise, be sure to look at the map and draw a picture or what it replaced.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
4 wheels aren't as fun

just a fyi for everyone.

a 97 is calling for the wrong part # for the belts at stores. the part they have listed will let the tensioner pully touch the crank pully when installed. a 98 calls for a belt that is 1" shorter. use it instead.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
4 wheels aren't as fun

Quote: Originally Posted by comics22
if its a 94-97 then you just have to remove 4 nuts as seen above, if its 98+ then you need to rent or make a special fork tool to hold it and i THINK its a left hand thread to get it off...
my 97 screws on the pully with a large nut. it was on so tight from the factory I cut it off with a saw.
now I use anti-seize on it so it doesn't rust up like the stock one.

and btw, you don't have to remove the fan to do the belt. (if that's what the other guy was thinking)

can you tell a difference with that under drive pully on your crank?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
Better post-em.

yea, freed up alot or torque, that and the efan did the most bang for the buck so to speak.

maybe yours was a late 97 and got a 98 engine or parts of it. my moms 97 tarus had a 98 trans in it, that was fun at the parts store getting a new gasket haha
Old 10-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #15

Hey just wanted to say " thank you!!!" again this forum saves me time and money. i just signed up.just did my tensioner and belt i just used a 3/8 socket on the tensioner and i was good.but why such a cheap piece of plastics.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #16
XLn

Should I gauge the belt tension with a tool or will it be fine once installed.

Truck has 92000 miles on it belt just started squealing but its never constant.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #17

hey, great tut! but I have to ask, my belt squeals super loud and i think its my broken ac. can i bypass the ac? if possible do i need a smaller belt or will the tensioner be able to handle it?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
It's "Neanderthal"

Get a belt for a truck without AC
Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #19

Thanks
Old 03-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #20

Thanks the diagram really helped.........On my '99 2.2L(w/AC & power steering) I found it easiest to work from the bottom. It was hard to get leverage from the top with all the stuff in the way. I did the alternator pulley last since it's near the tensioner. You definitely have pull down hard on the tensioner to get the play in the belt. Safety glasses are a good idea when working on the bottom.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #21
Better post-em.

safety glasses are a good idea when working at all under a vehicle.

not fun paying to go to the eye doctor because something was in my eye from just bending over to look under the truck. The wind picked up and felt a buncha stuff hit my face and hit my eye behind my normal glasses. Eye doc had to flip my eye lid not once but twice to find a piece of black road cinder stuck in there. Was a tad smaller than a pin head.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 AM   #22
Forever breaking this S10

It may just depend on your body/arm type to see if it's easier to do top or bottom. I'm a small guy so I was able to get the belt around fine from top side.

The biggest bitch of changing these belts is having the giant fan in the way. Same thing with changing out the alternator. If the clutch fan wasn't there, it would be several times easier. Probably the #1 motivator for me to get an e-fan is just to make it easier to work near the belt area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.