How To: Replace Timing Chain - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How To: Replace Timing Chain

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
1996 2.2l auto reg.cab DD

User is: OffLine
Exclamation How To: Replace Timing Chain

Here it is! It will be done on my 1996 s10 2.2l reg. cab short box 4x2 with 153k. I know it needed it so needless to say I did it lol I know this isn't a how to but it shows what you will be facing. I did run into some snages but I had my dad there to help me out the whole way. I know every one needs/wants to do it but wants to see pics and A LOT of them so I took a good amount to show some things. Hope you like it!

The parts I used
  • timing chain
  • timing sprockets (2)
  • chain tensioner
  • shaft seal
  • cover gasket
  • sylicone (blue stuff)
all of it was bought from Napa for about $115 out the door.(everything) so on with the pics since I know that's why you are looking at this! lol

My ride, feel free to compliment a 11 year old stock DD. I made that push bar and I'm making a new big warn bumper(a big one) this year in shop class at Blaine High

Remember daily driver lol

Start by undoing the air filter housing hose that goes to the shroud with a flat head. basic lol

Don't forget to unclip the sensor on the bottom of this hose.

Yet again, undo this one as well but no sensors

Then you have somthing like this. I went mudding 6 months ago and I really wish I wouldn't have. I did go through more mud than my buddie's 2001 blazer with 4x4 and I was balls deep. Good thing for my good tires that I suggest getting if you are DD looking for some new rubber Firestone Discoveries A/T

Unscrew these four screws to remove the fan shroud

Getting there. You should be looking like this. Hopefully cleaner though lol

Unclip the over flow hose for the coolant. Don't damage clips

To unsecure the bottom of the fan shroud, use a flat head to push between the tab and the fan shrould wall to release the push-in clip(from the top side of engine bay). Its undone here already to show you what it looks like. (middle of pic) Then it should be loose and then take it up around the fan

Looking good, pretty easy ehh?

Just loosen these four nuts around the fan clutch/pulley. ONLY LOOSEN, KEEP BELT ON TELL I TELL YOU TO TAKE IT OFF!

Now you can *loosen* the water pump pully bolts (on right side middle) then you can take off the belt.

Behind fan pulley

Take off the water pump pulley. I just replaced mine last week, so if you ever need to replace it this is how you get at it.

Take the serpentine belt tensioner off with these three* bolts sorry for the shacky hands lol.

Don't forget to take this lil guy out. Its the oil filter drain pan screw.

You should be here by now.

Now for this guy, this would be the cover for your *timing chain*. For the big pulley, use a screw driver to wedge up against the bottom right corner of the cover that has a 90 angle and unscrew the bolts. I did the out side three then the middle one.

You should be looking at somthing like this

Then you need some kind off puller like this. You pull the thing out and its actually on the end of this puller. The puller threads into the outer three bolt holes then you twist and ta da its out. It's takes a while to get it out, cramps are common! Take a breather and have a pop or beverage of choice.

So now you can see the round seal or shaft seal that you will be replacing. If you have to run to the auto store you can buy a seal puller or just use a good old srew driver and a hammer(like me).

Take out all bolts holding the front cover on.

DON'T FORGET THESE NUTS! They are at the bottom of both corners of the cover underneath.(sry about the sec. pic. the nut is 2/3 to the right and 1/2 way down behind the line runing left to right in pic. for the bottom pic above)

To take to cover off...pull it free of the seal. Make both studs on the bottom corners loose..then pull them up evenly or the right then the left side. What I did was pulled the right side up then pulled the cover really hard towards the alternator then out towards the front bumper..it should pop right out. It took me about 30min to get it but I didnt have a clue of how to go about the best way so thats how I did it. Basically just get the pain in the a$$ out of there. I had to undo the two bolts on the right of the alternator. The one on the back and the one in the front. (both the right ones all the way out) then loosen* the left front one to just swing it out of the way.

Just a pic of what it looks like if you want to know. I knew every one wants to just see it so here you go guys look at it like the new mag. in the mail jk

Now pull the big sprocket of with "two large flat head srew drivers" as the chiliton manual says

Some pics of the orifice, every one wants to replace but no one can find. Sorry again for the shaking hands

Take off the chain tensioner and use a pulley puller to remove the smaller sprocket. Then before moving on, push some towels into the oil pan opening to make sure nothing big gets in there or hopfully nothing at all if possible

If you ever see a truck like this always backed up in a garage every weekend in Blaine Mn its most likly me lol jk but its always in there, not because anything broke but because I work to get money and I spend it on my pride and joy lol my anti drug if you want to say

Where you should be.

Time to clean the cover off with gas and a metal or hard like brush then clean and rinse with dawn dish soap or what every you prefer. By the way this is my inspiration to life, my dad. look at the trooper just clean that baby right up!

So now you have to clean all the old silicone off and all the places where you see build up that need to be cleaned. I used my finger nails alot but I used a utility knife to get the big stuff, just watch you oil pan so nothing drops in there. re-assemble and enjoy your new timing parts!

Here is some pics of the wear on my old tensioner.

the groved or unlevel spots are where the chain wore it down.

My dad said it was definitely worn but not to the point of desperate need of attention. He did say its better to change it now then when you are rushed and have to change it out of the blue.

I bleed for my truck. I was pulling a pry bar out and I couldint get it so my dad says "What, you can't pull it out?", So I pulled really hard, the bar gave then hit the power steering/frame, slide between my palm and then my thumb first into the frame and it was a gusher lol it hurt like hell! I was half way done and it suck when my blood pressure raised and it would throb, have sharp pains but it was worth it!

Im glad that I did it and I hope this has been helpful to all that have viewed this. Feel free to help others with questions about anything related. I will try to keep up, but I'm maxed out at work and I'm in high school so you know where I'm at. If I'm not caught up on here, so help each other when I'm not around please lol. Comments for the first person (me) to show how to do this would be very nice lol jk if you want. and you are welcome.

Last edited by What?; 04-14-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling, grammar, punctuation
Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
tu-tu guru

re: How To: Replace Timing Chain

nice write up!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
Currently Spoolin

Quote: Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn
nice write up!

x2 nice write up man.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
always something new

excellent how and write up....great job!

oh...and nice pic's too!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Tech Mod

Awesome writeup
Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #6

thanks guys!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
shifting gears

Nice.

So the alternator gets to stay in place, but you do have to undo some of the alternator bolts to get the cover off?

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
tu-tu guru

if matt was a good mod hed make this a sf he was a good mod ticky....i
Old 09-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #9

the altinator just had to sweep to the left like a hing on the front left mount bolt. you have to take both the right mount bolts off. one on the back side and one on the front. then it can slide out of the way. but just back the left bolt out about 3 turns or just enough so it can slide/rock on the 1 remaining bolt.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #10

but you can get the cover off without doing this but its harder. like i did but i couldint get the cover back on with out doing this to the alt.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #11

Thanks man.. Thats great.

Dont know if I will ever attempt this though..lol
Old 09-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #12

why not? i thought the same when i knew i should. Im not that great at working on it but i get by. Its painless, the hardest thing is to take to cover off then putting it back on. do it EXACTLY as i explaned it other wise it will not go in. I was trying for an hour just to get it out then 2 to get it back in. i was pissed and i was just laughting at how pathetic it was just because i couldint get it to move 1/8" more for the bottom right stud to get homed so i was joking and i said and did this while i was saying it to my dad which was histarical with me-

" first you do this, then do that then push like *%$#@ &%^$# (you get the point) and then it's in, and it did go in!!!
my dad said "unbelievable, now take it out and do it again
he said that because we striped all the new glue off and the gausket because we couldint get the cover in and the cylicone was drying so i was just pissed and joking around with it just about to walk away for awhile
Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
Oasis Customs

looks good, now i dont feel to bad about having to eventualy do this. where did you get all the parts?

Edit: i saw napa when i looked again lol.

Last edited by NevurMind85; 09-08-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #14

yep. if you need any more info like more detailed just ask. im on here just about every night thinking whats next?! lol
Old 09-10-2008, 01:14 AM   #15

Thanks for the write up! Great job with the pics!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #16

thanks! i didnt think it was going to be a big hit or not i just thought i would take a few just to show people how easy it was. if it could be made a sticky i think it would help alot of people see it and let them know how? if every one thinks it would make a good sticky that is lol its up to the modds or who ever
Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #17
tu-tu guru

matt doesnt do anything on here
Old 09-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #18

would i beable to talk to him or is it hard to? lol its okay tho, i was just seeing if every one thought it would make a good sticky or somthing
Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #19
tu-tu guru

Quote: Originally Posted by Blaine.:.North
would i beable to talk to him or is it hard to? lol its okay tho, i was just seeing if every one thought it would make a good sticky or somthing
pm him
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #20

Nice writeup, wow this is such a easy chain to do vs a lot of vehicles lol.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #21

i dont know who matt is. other wise i would lol
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #22
tu-tu guru

What?

thats his forum name
Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Quote:
pm him
I dont know where I can contact him. like idk who he is or what his display name is. I have never had to contact a person out of the blue on here. Thats what im trying to get to. lol
Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #24
tu-tu guru

"What?" is his name on here...lol...i wasnt asking what
Old 09-13-2008, 12:21 AM   #25

okay lol but anyways idk if it would make a good sticky or anyhting so thats why i ask you if you think you could ask matt or who ever has to be asked or just let me know so i can pm them
Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #26
SlammedSonoma96

I love the write up, but, I have been without my truck for a month now. My Timing tensioner broke on me, luckily I was sitting at a stoplight when it happened, so I was lucky to not bend any valves. My problem is, I have taken the timing apart 3 times now, and the timing still seems to be off. The number 1 piston is at TDC, but the truck still wont turn over right. Any pointers on setting the cam and the crank pulleys to the right spots?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #27

i think, i think you would have to do somthing to look at the pistons or somthing. I dont know much about that isue because we made sure that the shafts didnt rool on use. we knew that we could have 1/5 turn and line the key slots back up but if they went any father then you would have to look at the pistons go up and down idk just my thoughts. I hope some one can read this and help you out. any idea how to make this a sticky? so you can have some better luck getting alot of help
Old 09-16-2008, 12:22 AM   #28
SlammedSonoma96

I figured it out. All of my intake valves got bent. Now I have to rebuild the head. Luckily no damage to anything else. When we looked at it before they did not look bent, but they were, just barely.

Last edited by SlammedSonoma96; 09-16-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #29

Advance Auto Parts had all the timing parts in stock. I think it ran around $80 with the chain, gears, tensioner, front seal, gaskets and the sealer comes with it. I did have to get a gear puller ($20) but I did have a harm. balancer puller for the hub. I couldn't get the damn torx studs out so I was worried about sliding the cover into place and messing up the sealer but it didn't leak thank God. Now the thing purrs like a kitten. Only thing I have left is it sounds like a heat shield is resonating at certain rpm so I need to get to that.

Every s10 I see going down the road has the damn timing tick. I think I'll put an ad in the paper and start a business fixing them on the weekends. haha
Old 09-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #30
Adapt And Overcome!

Im diggin the writup and love the hat man! i prefer the digital but started with the camo! once again nice write up helps a lot
Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #31

that was my dad with that hat lol i have the same one, its his company logo printed on a como hat.

hey todthebod
Quote:
Only thing I have left is it sounds like a heat shield is resonating at certain rpm so I need to get to that.
does it sound kind of like a sputter or like a very solid like rattle so to speak. I have it to and i dont think its a bearing cus it happend only at a certain vibration frequece and some times its not in high"er" rpms and it comes and goes when i drive. any ideas, it sounds like by the tranny and engine bay area. I noticed it now sence i got ride of some noise with the timing chain and bad down pipe now im going for this rattle noise. we should talk about it.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 AM   #32
Forum Dictator

In the Performance/How To: Sticky

Would been there sooner if chris wasn't being a retard
Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #33

Re: How To: Replace Timing Chain

Quote:

is there any way i can conact him and talk about it or is it a matter or time? lol i just want people to see it so they know they can do it befor its to late
Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #34

What are the alignment marks you use when putting the cam and crank gears back on. I know on the old small block chevy's, they use a round mark on each gear that you line up. I didn't see any marks on the gears in your pictures.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #35

yes they are the same. the key slots also help as long as you dont alow the shafts to roll. but yes you right

you can see the one on the bigger sprocket with about a 1/4 hole through the top. the other sprocket just has about a 1/8 inpresstion/ not drilled through. you have to sprinn/rotate the gears to get the timming marks looking at each other befor you pull them off. alot of precations lol
Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #36

Thanks for the information. I like the old school way of lining up the cam and crank gears using timing marks. By the way, great job on the how to post. I hope they make it a sticky.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #37

i do to lol i cant seem to find any one to inform me how to go about that, getting it a sticky
Old 09-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #38

They have already made it a sticky in the "How To" section.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/h...-chain-368017/

No need to contact anyone. Your now published.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #39
tu-tu guru

Quote: Originally Posted by What?

its always my fault
Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #40

thank you colabear! i realy hope it incurages people to get it done befor its to late lol. i realy didnt think it was going to be a big thread but i didnt notice tell i heard that almost or a good majority of people need to get it done or they just dont like the "timing tick" noise...but thanks again guys!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #41

A friend and I replaced the timing chain, guide fingers, sprockets, etc. on my 1996 S-10 LS 2WD 2.2L already. It ran great for about 3 weeks. It backfired while driving one evening, & now it is back to running like it did prior to the timing chain replacement. My friend is an ASE certified Master Tech, but I know mistakes can happen. Unfortunately, he moved out of state for his wife's new job and is no longer available for assistance. Any suggestions? Could it be that the chain has stretched? The Service Engine Soon light is on now, but was not on prior to that chain replacement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #42
Bring back *DARK STYLE*

Quote: Originally Posted by sonikdragn75
A friend and I replaced the timing chain, guide fingers, sprockets, etc. on my 1996 S-10 LS 2WD 2.2L already. It ran great for about 3 weeks. It backfired while driving one evening, & now it is back to running like it did prior to the timing chain replacement. My friend is an ASE certified Master Tech, but I know mistakes can happen. Unfortunately, he moved out of state for his wife's new job and is no longer available for assistance. Any suggestions? Could it be that the chain has stretched? The Service Engine Soon light is on now, but was not on prior to that chain replacement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Easiest thing to do would be to get the codes checked at autozone or whatever auto store you have locally. Then you will have a little more info on whats the problem. An welcome to the forum.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #43
tu-tu guru

hopefully the chain didnt jump a tooth
Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #44

Quote:
hopefully the chain didnt jump a tooth
im with him. i would read the codes and go from there. best of luck man!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #45
keepin it freshhh

how long does this whole job take??

good right up, i'll be using it shortly
Old 12-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #46

it took me about 8 hours. I could have gotten it done in about 5 or 6 if I had all the propper tools. You will run into the timing cover not coming off but just do exactly as i said in the thread. If you have any questions just post them up, more then glad to help you out, i wish i had somthing or somone to go off of when i got stuck lol. text me if I'm not around on here when your doing it. 612-558-1103 only use it for this tho, not forward mess. or anything in that nature please, as goes for all who may consiter texting the number.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #47

This is such a great post and pictures!! Hi, I am new here but was doing a search on google and found this site and your post.

Now for my problem, I have a 95 S-10 and it developed a whining noise in the lower front of the motor. My question was what noise if any was your truck making before you changed the timing gear and chain. I am about 80% sure that is what is making my noise (worn out guides) but before tearing in I would like a second opinion.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #48

Anyone know the torque spec for the 3 bolts that attach the crank pulley to the pressed on crank hub???
Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #49
2Low2Tow

TORQUE SPECS FOR:

CRANKSHAFT PULLEY BOLT(S) = 37 (ft. lbs)
CRANKSHAFT PULLEY/HUB-TO-CRANKSHAFT BOLT= 77 (ft. lbs)
Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #50

I would like some info on how to get the timing chain cover off. I got all the bolts out. And I'm unsure about that seal in the crank. not sure what you are talking about with a screwdriver. but it seems to be stuck. the hex 2 bolts on the bottom that goes into the oil pan are blocking me from lifting it out or im just not doing it right.

I got a 1997 chevy s10 2.2L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.