How To: Injector Swap for 98+ - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How To: Injector Swap for 98+

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
It Burns When I Pee

User is: OffLine
How To: Injector Swap for 98+

I searched and searched and found a few different answers on how to change the injectors on a 98+ 2.2 so I decided to do a write up on it.

The only tools you will need are:
  • 10mm socket
  • 13mm socket
  • Random Socket Extensions
  • Flat Head Screwdriver
  • Door Panel Clip Tool
  • Fuel Line Quick Release Tool
  • Vaseline
I started by running the truck without the fuel pump relay in it until it shut off. This will release most of the pressure from the fuel system. You can release it with a shrader valve that is located at the rear of the fuel rail. Next step DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. Just in case.

Then I took the intake assembly off starting at the throttle body loosening all 4 of the hose clamps down to the air filter (don't forget the one under the upper radiator hose on the left side). At this point you can take the 10mm bolt and PVC hose off the upper intake box and pull it out. After that is out of the way you can use the clip release tool to remove the 3 clips holding the intake hose to the fan shroud and pull this bazooka looking hose out of the way. This is what the clip tool looks like.

You can now pull the fan shroud by removing 6 10mm bolts, 3 on the core support and 2 down on each side

At this point it should look like this:

Now it's time to deal with the fuel system. I started with releasing the flexible fuel line from the hard line that goes to the fuel rail. Start with taking the clip off the connection and unbolting the bracket that holds the line to the intake manifold. Then to make things easier I bought a quick connect release tool at Autozone for 6.95 and it only took a second to jam it into the connection and pull to release it.

Now the tricky part. You have to get the fuel rail disconnected, so start by disconnecting the wiring harness at the fuel rail right on top of the valve cover towards the rear. Then you have to release the 2 10mm bolts holding the rail to the intake manifold. They are really hard to get to but having the right tools and taking your time helps, I used a bunch of different extensions and swivel joints to get them out. Here are pics of where the bolts are after I got the fuel rail out.

This is the rear one between cylinder3 and 4 and the front one is between 1 and 2. They are kind of hard to see but they are the bronze looking bolt holes.

There is a Metal plate on the rear of the valve cover that you have to take off also, it has 2 13mm bolts that go into the valve cover and a 10mm bolt on the back of the valve cover towards the firewall. Do not take the 10mm bolt out all the way because the bracket just slides onto it and you only need to loosen it to take the bracket off.

This is the bracket.

Once the fuel rail is unbolted you can carefully pull on the fuel rail until you hear the injectors pop out. You are ready to slide it right out the front of the intake, but you have to be really careful not to snag the injectors on anything because you don't want to damage them unless you are replacing them, but even then you have to be careful putting them in.

Once it's out you can release each injector by unplugging the wire to each one. It comes off by pulling up on the blue clip until it hits the black tab and pushing on the tab to release it.

Then you release the clip holding the injector to the fuel rail with a screwdriver, be careful because it goes flying when you release it, so make sure it is pointed away from you when you pop it off.

Installation is the same as removal except I put a little vaseline on the injector seals and the intake hose that goes under the upper radiator hose to make everything slide together a little easier.

This is the lower intake hose I was talking about putting vaseline on. Do not use too much because you don't want any residual in your intake or injectors.

Good luck with it, and feel free to add any other info that will help people in doing this. You are liable for the work that you do so be careful and take your time.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #2

re: How To: Injector Swap for 98+

I don't have a need for this but thanks for taking the time to do this write up. I'm sure some one will find it very useful
Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
tu-tu guru

nice write up....way different for 94-97 though lol
Old 10-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
ohhhh yeahhhhh

def good write up. sticky!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Have a nice day!

what injectors did you swap for? or did you just replace them with stock
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
where's my chippy?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
It Burns When I Pee

Quote: Originally Posted by ProTouring2.2
what injectors did you swap for? or did you just replace them with stock

I am chasing a misfire. I decided to swap the injectors from cylinder 3 to cylinder 4 to see if the misfire moves with the injector before I went and bought a new one.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #8

Re: How To: Injector Swap for 98+

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-C-F...spagenameZWDVW

These make removing fuel lines easy. Nice write-up btw
Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
It Burns When I Pee

Quote: Originally Posted by 2002dime
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-C-F...spagenameZWDVW

These make removing fuel lines easy. Nice write-up btw
Thanks. I got the cheapo one from autozone, but that is a good set if you work on a lot of cars.

Also thanks to whoever corrected the name of the thread.

This is a better pic of the one I used:

Last edited by orangedime; 10-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
rb25det inside :D

very nice write up i will be using ur words very soon please sticky this !!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
tu-tu guru

lol, ive got like 4 of those tools in my garage...now i know wat they're for
Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #12

great writeup...i think theres a couple floating around here for the 4.3 too
Old 10-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
Kurrupted Kreations

nice!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #14
Forum Dictator

Took care of name and already listed in sticky
Old 10-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #15
It Burns When I Pee

Quote: Originally Posted by What?
Took care of name and already listed in sticky

Thank you
Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #16
It Burns When I Pee

Quote: Originally Posted by orangedime
I am chasing a misfire. I decided to swap the injectors from cylinder 3 to cylinder 4 to see if the misfire moves with the injector before I went and bought a new one.
Well, I reset the computer and drove it until the check engine light turned back on. The misfire moved with the injector, time to buy a new one and do it all over again.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #17
always something new

User is: Online

very nice write-up...good job!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #18
NOT AN S10

I'd suggest using new o-rings, they are like $10 for all eight. Just be sure you dont mix them up since they are different for upper and lower.

I'm a fan of doing jobs once. I had to replace my injectors at 210K miles, i think the original o-rings had enough.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #19
It Burns When I Pee

Quote: Originally Posted by tg900
I'd suggest using new o-rings, they are like $10 for all eight. Just be sure you dont mix them up since they are different for upper and lower.

I'm a fan of doing jobs once. I had to replace my injectors at 210K miles, i think the original o-rings had enough.
Good call. I inspected mine and they were perfect after only 45k, but if yours show any visible wear. Replace them.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #20
Tech Mod

Great writeup. I always thought you had to take the intake manifold off to get to those injectors.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #21

man this is a blessing because I thought you had to take the intake off as well!! and... I am possibly getting ready to do the same thing as I am having a misfire and my computer has said that its in injector #4, already have the injector.. but I better go get those fuel line removal tools that I will probably never use again! lol
Thanks orangedime
Old 10-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #22
It Burns When I Pee

Quote: Originally Posted by rican 25
man this is a blessing because I thought you had to take the intake off as well!! and... I am possibly getting ready to do the same thing as I am having a misfire and my computer has said that its in injector #4, already have the injector.. but I better go get those fuel line removal tools that I will probably never use again! lol
Thanks orangedime

I also believed that you needed to take the intake manifold off to do the swap. But when I looked at it, I thought "why wouldn't it just slide out the front if I move everything out of the way?". I'm glad I tried it, hope this helps you through the process. Don't buy the injector until you swap them and confirm that it is the injector, no reason to spend $80 on a part if it's not going to fix the problem.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #23
NOT AN S10

meh i took my intake manifold off because i was hoping to do a cavi intake setup at the time..but the a/c blower box got in the way so all i did is change injectors and not intake.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #24

does the fuel pressure regulator fit thru the intake manifold?

or do you have to remove it?

how does it come off? i removed the torx screw but i didnt have any luck getting it off the rail but i was reluctant to pull to hard or pry.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #25
It Burns When I Pee

Quote: Originally Posted by duaneb9729
does the fuel pressure regulator fit thru the intake manifold?

or do you have to remove it?

how does it come off? i removed the torx screw but i didnt have any luck getting it off the rail but i was reluctant to pull to hard or pry.
I didn't have a regulator on mine, maybe you can include a picture and someone can help you out.

This is a picture of what I pulled out as a full assembly

Old 10-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #26
NOT AN S10

The flex fuel models dont have a regualtor on the fuel rail...its in the fuel fuel sensor located right near the coilpacks

If you really need a picture I can take some this weekend...I got all kinds of fuel rails at home
Old 08-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #27

To bring this thread back to life, i would like some info on that fuel pressure regulator and how to get it off.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #28

I ended up using a light dab of motor oil to lube it up instead of vaseline.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #29

Nice info, I will be performing surgery soon.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #30

I replaced my injector and it didnt help.Took it to the dealer and they took the intake off.They ended up saying the injectors wasnt bad but the computer was..I guess thats a way for them to make some money by taking it off..
Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #31

can anyone give info on fuel rail with regulator removal for this project.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #32

Quote: Originally Posted by A CLEANMACHINE
can anyone give info on fuel rail with regulator removal for this project.
I tried with no luck to pull just the rail, pull the intake. 3 hour job tops.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #33

thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #34
Working on aircraft

I do not have those little blue clips and mine is a 98. Mine are metal and they like to break.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #35
piss and vinegar

the regulator has a torx screw securing it to the rail. remove that and the regulator pops out of its place. it needs to come off to slide the rail out of the intake anyway.

by the way, those injectors are different than my 98, im assuming yours is a flex motor? my injectors are silver/black and quite a bit bigger around.

also, my 98 has metal wires holding the harness to the injector. the wire clip doesnt pop out, you depress it to unlock it and then slide it off.

Last edited by jed.only; 01-03-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #36

DEF Sticky worthy! Thanks man!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #37
It Burns When I Pee

Quote: Originally Posted by jed.only
the regulator has a torx screw securing it to the rail. remove that and the regulator pops out of its place. it needs to come off to slide the rail out of the intake anyway.

by the way, those injectors are different than my 98, im assuming yours is a flex motor? my injectors are silver/black and quite a bit bigger around.

also, my 98 has metal wires holding the harness to the injector. the wire clip doesnt pop out, you depress it to unlock it and then slide it off.
Thanks for adding the info for the regulator for people who have them.

My truck is a 2003 so they used a mixed bag of parts to put them together, my vin says the truck is a non flex-fuel but some of the parts for the fuel system are shared with the flex trucks. I always buy OEM parts and look them up using my vin so I couldn't tell you which works with which.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #38
piss and vinegar

Thanks for adding the info for the regulator for people who have them.

My truck is a 2003 so they used a mixed bag of parts to put them together, my vin says the truck is a non flex-fuel but some of the parts for the fuel system are shared with the flex trucks. I always buy OEM parts and look them up using my vin so I couldn't tell you which works with which.

that's right, i did read somewhere the 03 uses alot of flex parts and there were 0 flex motors that year.

the torx bolt on the FPR in the non-flex 2.2L is a T30. even with the FPR pulled out, the flange it pops into makes it pretty tough to slide the rail out. would be easier if you removed the upper rad hose, but i didnt. would also be easier if you remove the plug wires, if yours run thru the intake like mine did, but i didnt remove mine. the slots on the rail and the nut on the input fuel line are 24mm on both sides, so two 24mm wrenches or a wrench and a channel-lock will break that free.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #39

What does that door panel clip tool you mentioned look like and where is it needed?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:48 AM   #40
It Burns When I Pee

Some of the ac and intake hoses were held to the fan shroud with clips similar to door panel clips, you can just use a screwdriver if you want but you will most likely break the clips and have to go to the parts store for more.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #41
Broke down

Hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm chasing a misfire. What is the approximate time to do this?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #42

does anyone know what size stock injectors are? im boosting my 2000 2.2l and want to know what size to go with
Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #43
Working on aircraft

I am also boosting, is there a way to bypass the stock regulator? Does anyone make an aftermarket fuel rail?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #44

is your 2000 a flex fuel,if so stock injectors are 28 lb@58psi
stock 98-99 are 17lb@43psi
Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #45

Quote: Originally Posted by ablues10
I am also boosting, is there a way to bypass the stock regulator? Does anyone make an aftermarket fuel rail?
why are you bypassing stock f/p reg,ru boosting with bigger inj or fmu either way you don't need to change it.if you bigger get 42lb if fmu run in return line to increase f/press and adjust on pressure for boost.if you use an fmu it'll make stock inj increase like 40-60%.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #46
Working on aircraft

I dont want to use an fmu, I have HP tuners. Should I bypass the regulator and get an aftermarket one?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #47
It Burns When I Pee

Quote: Originally Posted by black2002ls
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm chasing a misfire. What is the approximate time to do this?
Stickies are never considered old threads, they are useful information that should be updated from time to time. You could easily do this in an afternoon, the only thing that takes time is wiggling the fuel rail out and that takes 10 minutes max. Just make sure you have plenty of extensions and swivel joints for your socket set, some of the bolts are hard to get to.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #48
Broke down

Stickies are never considered old threads, they are useful information that should be updated from time to time. You could easily do this in an afternoon, the only thing that takes time is wiggling the fuel rail out and that takes 10 minutes max. Just make sure you have plenty of extensions and swivel joints for your socket set, some of the bolts are hard to get to.
Thank you!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #49

I just finished swapping out the fuel injectors. thanks so much for this thread!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #50
I hate thieves

I have a feeling that I need to replace my injectors, as I have a strong fuel vapor odor during/after driving that comes from the engine bay. Is it safe to drive until I get parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.