Hit Brakes --> Reverse Lights Come On - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Hit Brakes --> Reverse Lights Come On

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #1

Hit Brakes --> Reverse Lights Come On

Alright so last night I got pulled over for what I figured was my tint.. However he came to the window and said that something was going on with my brake lights. He had me hit them for him again then did it for me to show me the problem..

Somehow when you hit the brakes, the brake lights dim and the reverse lights come on. Also the right turn signal goes very fast when the headlights are on, but not when they're off?

Any idea whats causing this? It really sucks cause it caused me to get a ticket for my tint as well when he noticed that.. Less than a week and I have to remove it already. =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

Re: Hit Brakes --> Reverse Lights Come On

Found this on popular mechanics..

My Reverse Lights Come on When I Hit the Brakes
August 2, 2010 at 2:04:00 PM by Mike Allen | 0 comments
Q: Every couple of months when I hit the breaks in my 1995 Toyota Camry, the reverse lights come on. They will do this for about a week and a half and then go back to only coming on when in reverse. What is causing this and how do I fix it?

A: There’s a bad ground somewhere near the tail lights, causing the brake lights to source their ground through the backup lights. Check ground point Ba1, which is in the trunk.

Read more: My Reverse Lights Come on When I Hit the Brakes - Popular Mechanics

Gonna mess with the ground by passenger side headlight, looks sort of corroded.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
i saw what you did there!

User is: OffLine

yeah the dimming lights tell you bad ground issue

check the ground bolt on frame rail under tail end of bed near bumper it needs to be clean dry and good

may need to remove the bolt and clean rust etc

if that doesnt work then you may need to run new ground wires to both lights and make a nice new ground, can do it in sheetmetal as well
Old 06-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #4

thats exactly what I did and it worked... found this post on google: http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1381686-c...il_light_issue

turned out my ground was terrible.. was checking the 5 grounds first then the main ground just snapped right off... took me about a half hour to get the bolt off due to rust... then i had to scrape the rust off and put a new connector on there.. and they work perfect now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.