help! truck won't start, new starter, flywheel turning - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

help! truck won't start, new starter, flywheel turning

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Mobile Stylz Owner/CEO

User is: OffLine
Exclamation help! truck won't start, new starter, flywheel turning

99 chev s10 4 cyl 2.2....
For a while now a couple weeks maybe the truck wouldn't start rite away then after a try or two a couple min. wait it'd turn over. Now I came out to start after a day of no driving and it won't even turn over. Tried again and again and again.
Replaced the starter.... Nothing..
I can see the flywheel teeth turning when my gf tries to start it.... the starter is working the flywheel is turning but the serpentine is not turning nor are any of the pullies.
I need advie FAST!!!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 AM   #2

Re: help! truck won't start, new starter, flywheel turning

first off, the crank has to be turning if the flywheel is turning. They are bolted together. unless the bolts are sheared off on the flywheel.

Second, if the bottom pully is turning, and nothing else...then check the timing belt/chain.

Let me know what happens.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
got me some 20s

yea i agree..how can the flywheel turn and nothing else unless your crank is broke in half lol
Old 10-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Mobile Stylz Owner/CEO

no pullies are turning, not even the bottom one its not turning at all... none of them... So I either broke my crank or the flywheel? fudge.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #5

if the flywheel broke, how would that turn? wouldnt it just jam up becuase its a loose and flopping around in there?

what kind of noise is it making?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Works too much!

Quote: Originally Posted by a.graham52
if the flywheel broke, how would that turn? wouldnt it just jam up becuase its a loose and flopping around in there?

what kind of noise is it making?

it will. I have a 92 4.3 that had a broke flywheel. It was broken all the way around the bolts. I could still crank the motor, but it dragged really bad.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #7

now that i ponder how that could work, i figured it out. i seemingly spaced on the fact taht the whole clutch assembly or tourqe converter is pushing on that as well. i had the mind set that it would break and come completly dislodge
Old 11-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #8

i would pull the tranny and see what you can find.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Mobile Stylz Owner/CEO

I'm gonna pull the tranny off today see whats goin on in there... I pray it is not the crank. I recently did the clutch about 7k miles ago maybe that has something to do with it, I tend to over torque bolts like maybe the flywheel bolts were too tight... By the way the sound is not good it makes it while tryin to start and a couple seconds after sounds like somethings turning uggily. Hopefully it is a broken flywheel. Thx for the tips guys, Be back after I pull the tranny.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Mobile Stylz Owner/CEO

Well the tranny is off. Nothing strange that I could see weirdest thing when I turn the flywheel by hand the pullies all turn. Why weren't they turning before when I was trying to start the truck?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
GOT LN2┐

do you have the starter shimed correctly. it could grab some teeth and not others may sound like its cranking but really not
Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
Mobile Stylz Owner/CEO

I could actually see the flywheel turning when it was trying to start before. The bolts holding the transmission on were all loose every one of them ( I recently changed the clutch) wonder if that has something to do with my problem.

Last edited by fullsteez; 12-01-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
Slow as hell

Are you sure that your flywheel is actually turning and not that the ring gear is turning and is actually separated from the fly wheel??

This is what happened to me. The ring gear on the flywheel had separated. I thought that the flywheel was turning the first time I looked cause the teeth of the ring gear were moving. The ring gear is just installed on the flywheel with a "press fit" where they heat the ring gear and cool the flywheel and drop it on. They have been know to come apart on our trucks.

You will need to replace your flywheel or at the very least tack weld the ring gear onto the flywheel.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
Mobile Stylz Owner/CEO

hrmmmm... more time more work I shall try replacing the flywheel. The crank has to be good right? I mean when I manually turned the flywheel bolts (with tranny removed) the pullies would spin. If its the motor I'm gonna just have to stop payin on this thing n let it get repo'd... If its the flywheel I guess its worth keepin thanks for the advice cyclone.....

Quote: Originally Posted by cyclonegrey06
Are you sure that your flywheel is actually turning and not that the ring gear is turning and is actually separated from the fly wheel??

This is what happened to me. The ring gear on the flywheel had separated. I thought that the flywheel was turning the first time I looked cause the teeth of the ring gear were moving. The ring gear is just installed on the flywheel with a "press fit" where they heat the ring gear and cool the flywheel and drop it on. They have been know to come apart on our trucks.

You will need to replace your flywheel or at the very least tack weld the ring gear onto the flywheel.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
GOT LN2┐

oh man dont let it get repoed thats the worst thing..... dont want to screw up your credit!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by cyclonegrey06

Good luck!
I used to have a 1999 S10 2.2 and this is PRECISELY what happened to me. The ring gear was slipping. I ended up just putting a new fly wheel on it. Worked perfectly, no further issues. I know tack welds don't weigh that much, but I would think (at least in theory) that it could throw off the balance of the flywheel. Like I said, just a theory.

Quote: Originally Posted by fullsteez
hrmmmm... more time more work I shall try replacing the flywheel. The crank has to be good right? I mean when I manually turned the flywheel bolts (with tranny removed) the pullies would spin. If its the motor I'm gonna just have to stop payin on this thing n let it get repo'd... If its the flywheel I guess its worth keepin thanks for the advice cyclone.....
If you turned the crank via the flywheel bolts and the pullies turned, then yes, that's a good solid indicator that the crank is fine.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #17
Mobile Stylz Owner/CEO

ya the guy at napa was sayin that too about the tack welds throwin off the balance. I ordered a new flywheel. Just got a new battery in today and success. good to go! Needs clutch bled bad .. - the odometer now not coming on nor no tach nor mph. Speedo not connected? Haven't checked yet as my arm has been broken. All I could do was change oil & swap a battery.

Last edited by fullsteez; 01-31-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #18

im having issues with my starter.....i tested my old starter and it was bad..the gear wasnt coming out and starting it so i bought another one..i put it on and nothing the gear sounded like it was spinning but not engaging with the flywheel..so i took it back and bought another one..i put this one on and the same thing happened..just sounds like it was spinning and not touching anything...THEN i started reading on here and saw something about some shims..so i shimmed it same thing NOTHING...this is the wierd thing...I PUSH STARTED IT AND DROPPED THE CLUTCH AND GOT IT RUNNING..RUNS FINE!!! then i parked it and started it like 10 more times..STARTED EVERY SINGLE TIME.....Thing is when i went back out to my truck 20 mins later it didnt start again..its doing the same thing it was doing before just spinning and sounding like the gear is not touching anything...BUT THE STARTER WAS JUST WORKING????? IM LOST CAN U GUYS PLEASE HELP I WOULD APRECIATE IT>>IVE TRIED EVERYTHING
Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #19

BUMP!!! anyone have this problem^^^^
Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #20

Anyone Can Shed Some Light Please Ive Been Trying Everything Today
Old 05-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #21

same problem, not crank, truck runs great once started, not fly wheel ring gear because when you look underneath the flywheel is turning straight and not wobbling back and forth, not starter because its turning the flywheel, has anyone heard of the bolts breaking or the dowel pins???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.