Hard start. Flooding. 20 bucks to whoever answers correctly - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Hard start. Flooding. 20 bucks to whoever answers correctly

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Hard start. Flooding. 20 bucks to whoever answers correctly

2000 s10. 2.2.

Hard to start after been park for short time. If I pull the fuel pump relay it wi start and run off the gas in the cylinders then shut off. I pit the relay back in and it starts right up.

I assumed it was injectors. Replaced them but that didn't fix it. All injectors ohm out to 3. And each injector is getting .5 volts with the power off. Is that normal?

How is gas getting into my motor while the truck is off?

Whoever has a logical idea that leads to the cure they wi be paypaled 20 bucks.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #2

Re: Hard start. Flooding. 20 bucks to whoever answers correctly

I would say its an injector issue still. my suggestion is have a professional diagnose it.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

i tried that it was there for 3 weeks and they told me the fuel pressure was good and charged me 218 bucks. **** that

can someone meter their injector harness while the car is off and see if each of their injectors gets .5 volts?

it HAS to be an injector issue because thats the only way gas is going to get in the motor.. but im wondering is it leaking out the whole time? or is the ecu for some reason leaving the injectors open for a little while after the ignition is cut off and it leaks out then. or maybe when i turn the key over to start does it open wide open and just pour gas in.

BTW i can unhook the injector harness while it sits, plug it back in inbefore i start the truck and still have the same problem
Old 11-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
On da bottle

User is: OffLine

how do you know the cylinders are filling with gas?

pull the injectors and rail together and cycle the switch a few times to build up pressure and see what happens.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Better post-em.

is it all the cyl or is it one? im sure an injector can go bad (get a chunk of rust/somehting keeping it cracked open where it allows gas into the cyl)
Old 11-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
On da bottle

Something else have you tried cycling the switch a few times (turn switch to run and let the pump run then stop and repeat) before you attempt to start it?. My truck was hard starting after sitting and still is even after an engine swap. I think its in the pump assembly like a check valve is leaking and not holding fuel pressure. I cycle the pump a few times and she fires right up. If I dont it take multiple attempts to start.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #7

ok guys lets recap.

i can pull the fuel pump relay and the motor will start and run for about 2 seconds till it burns the gas out of the cylinders, then after the relay is replaced it will fire right up first try.

this is also true by disconecting the fuel injector harness. it allows for the same basic principle. to STOP allowing more gas into the already flooded cylinders.

there for it kinda removes the option of it being fuel pump, filter, or regulator.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
On da bottle

Quote: Originally Posted by gtianator
ok guys lets recap.

i can pull the fuel pump relay and the motor will start and run for about 2 seconds till it burns the gas out of the cylinders, then after the relay is replaced it will fire right up first try.

this is also true by disconecting the fuel injector harness. it allows for the same basic principle. to STOP allowing more gas into the already flooded cylinders.

there for it kinda removes the option of it being fuel pump, filter, or regulator.

I still say pull the rail and injectors together, cycle the switch a few times and see if they bleed down some. Have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail? Maybe it has to much pressure?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #9

fuel pressure looked correct when they showed me at the shop. nothing crazy high or anything.

i will pull the rail again soon and pressure it up but itll prolly have to wait for the weekend i have to have it for work every morning.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
4 wheels aren't as fun

something might be wrong with one of your sensors. like cam or crank position sensor. maybe even the tps.
all of them are used to control the fuel amounts etc.
bad sensors don't always set off a CEL (check engine light)

autozone's website has guides for testing all of the sensors. this is what I used to tell my tps wasn't set correctly even though it doesn't have adjustable slots, the voltage from it was too low where it was.
twisted it as much as it would go until it read the minimum .5 volts and now my truck quit throwing the low tps voltage output code.

Last edited by serpentracer; 11-17-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #11

2000 s10. 2.2.

Hard to start after been park for short time. If I pull the fuel pump relay it wi start and run off the gas in the cylinders then shut off. I pit the relay back in and it starts right up.

I assumed it was injectors. Replaced them but that didn't fix it. All injectors ohm out to 3. And each injector is getting .5 volts with the power off. Is that normal?

ok i believe it is injector but not electrical ,mechanical i think there is a check valve in them or a spring pressure to keep shut it's one or the other. what's happening is when you shut off it dribbles off fuel from remaining pressure instead of complete lock off.check plugs for some identification maybe the one will be fouling a little bit to see which cyl it is..just my 2 cents good luck
Old 11-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #12

I've been reading alot of posts about this. My 2000 2.2 does the exact
same thing, almost every time. In the morning or when it's been sitting more
then 2 or 3 hours, it will start right up. If I've been driving, and shut it off,
and come back out in less then a half hour, I get the cranking situation,
and then when it starts it it runs rough for about 2 seconds like a it's a bit
flooded. It does it about 90 percent of the time. Seems like quite a few
people have this warm start problem.
Regards Sonny
Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #13

really i think the only thing this could be is a leaking or stuck injector, how else can the engine get flooded while sitting, try replacing the injectors and o-rings
Old 11-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by dmax
really i think the only thing this could be is a leaking or stuck injector, how else can the engine get flooded while sitting, try replacing the injectors and o-rings
Thats pretty much what I said earlier.

just because they say they're in spec on the ohms, doesnt mean they're good. gotta pressure test em.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #15

Is the 0.5 volts with the key off? If it is, then you have a bad contection or ground or your ecm is sending a voltage singal when it should be sleepin
Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #16

I'm not sure in my case that it is actually flooding, it just kind of acts like
it, but it could very well be. Once the weather warms up again I may check it out. It's not that much of an issue for me since I don't really do much stop and go, and it still only takes about 3 or 4 seconds to start, tops.
Regards Sonny
Old 11-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
2Low2Tow

Check your fuel pressure regulator, if you havent already. As well as the fuel injector connectors/harnesses. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #18

When you’re trying to start it hot give’r full throttle and she will fire right up. My cavalier does the same thing… no idea why…
Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
405AWDHP

You should have no voltage at the injectors with key off. This half volt is causing leak down issues, find out why you have voltage there. Bad ground, bad ecm.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #20

first off like i said in the first post iv already replaced the injectors.

second has anyone actually went to there truck and confirmed they have no voltage at the injector harness at all?

i just did a text by pressurizing a injector with water and i could not get it to open with only 5 volts. 1.5 volts did open it tho. but id still like 100% confirmanation that there is not supposed to be any voltage at the injectors.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #21
On da bottle

first off like i said in the first post iv already replaced the injectors.

second has anyone actually went to there truck and confirmed they have no voltage at the injector harness at all?

i just did a text by pressurizing a injector with water and i could not get it to open with only 5 volts. 1.5 volts did open it tho. but id still like 100% confirmanation that there is not supposed to be any voltage at the injectors.
You should have NO voltage at the injector with the key off..
Old 11-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #22

bought new leads for my meter, now showing no voltage to the injectors. must have been the bad leads.

so no voltage at the injectors, new injectors, fuel pressure checked ok.

im waiting till tomorrow or sunday to pull the injectors and check to see if there bleeding off the pressure.

althought i took the old 4 injectors and pressurized them with water and air and none of them leaked... i tested at 40 psi and at 50 psi.

im sure its a flooding problem because if i pull the fuel pump or unplug the injectors it will run of the gas in the motor. but...

could it be coil packs not firing at full potental when there hot therefore casusing it to not spark and flood? but if that was the case why is it after it starts up it runs just fine...

im out of ideas...
Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #23

I'm also having the same problem I was told it could possibly be the fuel pressure regulator.
I also read "If a fuel pressure regulator diagram ruptures it can allow raw fuel into the engine through the vacuum feed line attached to the intake manifold"

Last edited by yfzmxracer; 11-20-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #24

Quote: Originally Posted by yfzmxracer
I'm also having the same problem I was told it could possibly be the fuel pressure regulator.
I also read "If a fuel pressure regulator diagram ruptures it can allow raw fuel into the engine through the vacuum feed line attached to the intake manifold"
This.

This happened on my 1999 S10 several years ago. Gave the exact same symptoms that the OP is having.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #25

I have another fuel pressure regulator laying around that I'll have to throw on and see if it helps. Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #26
piss and vinegar

did this resolve your issue?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #27
rideitwideopen

Talking Re: Hard start. Flooding. 20 bucks to whoever answers correctly

2000 s10. 2.2.

i also have a 2000 chevy s10 /2.2l and i have replaced everything still no luck either 2 repair shops and a chevy dealer looked at it and still no luck . i will be watching this forum closley for any new ansers for the hard starting.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #28
rideitwideopen

i also have a 2000 s10 with the same thing and replaced everything , put it to the floor and starts rite up . first thing in the morning , starts rite up .im thinking coils too but it runs so good once its started ? out of answers
Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #29
Better post-em.

coils usually die once thier hot and work fine when thier cold
Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #30
rideitwideopen

Quote: Originally Posted by comics22
coils usually die once thier hot and work fine when thier cold
ok ,thanks , ill keep waiting till i hear of a possible answer
Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #31

Take it to a professional Mechanic!

Can I have my 20 dollars now?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #32
Yes, they're all mine

A- You have to either have a leaky injector or a leaky o-ring. Nothing else will let fuel in the cylinder.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #33

Quote: Originally Posted by rideitwideopen
i also have a 2000 s10 with the same thing and replaced everything , put it to the floor and starts rite up . first thing in the morning , starts rite up .im thinking coils too but it runs so good once its started ? out of answers
So doing a "Clear-flood" request gets it started? That's sound alot like mere injector leakage/leak-down... or even possibly ruptured FPR diaphragm, like another here suggested.

BTW: When even just one of the coils fail, it'll just run on only half of it's cylinders... No "Two-ways" about it.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #34
2.2 Extremist

User is: Online

I had this issue real bad a few months ago. Changed fuel pressure regulator and problem solved. Apparently I was running at 81 psi.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
Yes, they're all mine

Quote: Originally Posted by pwtr02ss
A- You have to either have a leaky injector or a leaky o-ring. Nothing else will let fuel in the cylinder.
wheres my $20?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.