Gen question about 2.2L Vortec - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #1

Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Hello,

I am new on this forum and had a general question about the 2.2. I'm considering buying a used 99-2003 S-10/Sonoma and considered the 4.3 but with no heavy hauling anticipated am considering the 2.2 for mileage, trips etc.

I was just wondering what the consensus is on the longevity of this engine? I'm also thinking auto tranny, power is not an issue, but mileage is.

Thanks

MB
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

2.2 is not a vortec, and is a turd. Same ohv pos engine thats in the Cavaliers. They dont like head gaskets, so they blow them up. Gas mileage is not that big of a difference either.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
one of a kind

User is: OffLine

just browse around, there are several threads floating around about what mileage pple get as far as longevity goes.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by southernrock20
just browse around, there are several threads floating around about what mileage pple get as far as longevity goes.
Well I know roughly what mileage it gets. Was more interested in longevity.
Problem with browsing around is that no matter what engine you're talking about (even the most reliable) forums are going to contain umpteen accounts of problems. This is why I was asking what the gen consensus is. I know this is a low tech push rod engine with limited power. This will be a second vehicle and power is not important, longevity and mileage are. I also thought I read that the 4.3 had it's own gasket problems.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
2.2 Extremist

User is: Online

2nd post is full of fail,

The 98-03 Chevy 2.2L is a Vortec motor, that is why its refered to as a Vortec 2200, and yes, they are notorious for head gaskets, but alot of people on here haven't had to replace the head gasket and are pushing close to 250,000 miles, these motors are slow, and if you don't plan on heavy hauling then a 2.2 automatic is great for just normal driving, I've seen a few s-10's people I know own get decent gas mileage, it just depends on the overall condition of the trucks driveline. and as for longevity, mine personally has 167,648 miles, and the only things I've had to replace is my ECT, valve cover gasket, and my plugs and wires, and I know that my dad used to run the piss out of this truck,
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
one of a kind

Quote: Originally Posted by zephyr
Well I know roughly what mileage it gets. Was more interested in longevity.
Problem with browsing around is that no matter what engine you're talking about (even the most reliable) forums are going to contain umpteen accounts of problems. This is why I was asking what the gen consensus is. I know this is a low tech push rod engine with limited power. This will be a second vehicle and power is not important, longevity and mileage are. I also thought I read that the 4.3 had it's own gasket problems.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f137/h...r-dimes-53800/

I know there where at least 2 more threads just in the 2.2 section in the past week or so with pretty much the same question, so thats why I said browse because there where a few threads to answer your longevity question
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
alway's changing somethin

mine's got 160K with original headgasket and runs perfect (slowbut perfect). and i still have oem timing chain...if taken care of they last a long time
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #8

Its a good motor, easy to work on, and reliable. I would personally go 5 speed over auto. W/ stock wheels and 60r15 tires and engine mods, i was getting 24mpg city 31+/- highway. It decreased a little w/ the 18's, i think its 22 city now.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by GMC Motorsports
2nd post is full of fail
Lol, then you say...

Quote: Originally Posted by GMC Motorsports
and yes, they are notorious for head gaskets,
This guy.

You get one chance to tell me why the 2200 is an actual vortec motor. And dont tell me it is because your little air box says so, or that your manual says so...
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
one of a kind

Quote: Originally Posted by CraiGM
Lol, then you say...

This guy.

You get one chance to tell me why the 2200 is an actual vortec motor. And dont tell me it is because your little air box says so, or that your manual says so...
umm, I would think that if the manual and air box has it on there, then I would presume that it would be considered an actual vortec engine. I dont think Gm would label a 2.2 a 5.7 you know.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #11

umm, I would think that if the manual and air box has it on there, then I would presume that it would be considered an actual vortec engine. I dont think Gm would label a 2.2 a 5.7 you know.
Oh but they do young grasshopper... They do...
Old 02-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #12

Doesn't matter what is labeled (or mislabeled) or even what the OM says, GM considers this engine part of the Vortec family so there you have it. Case closed. Great thing about a free country is that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however...fact is another matter.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:50 AM   #13

however...fact is another matter.
Yes it is. So please, tell me the facts. Other than reading somewhere that the 2200 is a Vortec motor... Like your air box or owners manual.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
one of a kind

how about this, tell us why its not
Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
Registered Hoosier

If you don't mind a stick, They have a little more power, and get better mileage. I currently own a 2002 2.2 at. It has 203,000 miles on it, runs good, and will get about 25 mpg hwy. My 95 2.2 5 speed [rip] got 31.22 mpg hwy best.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #16

Yes it is. So please, tell me the facts. Other than reading somewhere that the 2200 is a Vortec motor... Like your air box or owners manual.
The fact is that it's looking like the world according to CraigGM is kinda'..... Groovy.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #17

how about this, tell us why its not
Yeah right. That would end this thread right quick, ha.

The fact is that it's looking like the world according to CraigGM is kinda'..... Groovy.
True... But thats still not fact my friend.

Why doesnt GMC motorsports reply back after that "2nd post full of fail" comment and educate us on exactly why it is a Vortec motor. Then maybe I am wrong, and the world is right.

But from what Ive gathered so far is I know (fact) its not a Vortec motor, and no one here yet knows why it is. But hey, keep calling it a Vortec, I dont care.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
one of a kind

Yeah right. That would end this thread right quick, ha.

True... But thats still not fact my friend.

Why doesnt GMC motorsports reply back after that "2nd post full of fail" comment and educate us on exactly why it is a Vortec motor. Then maybe I am wrong, and the world is right.

But from what Ive gathered so far is I know (fact) its not a Vortec motor, and no one here yet knows why it is. But hey, keep calling it a Vortec, I dont care.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #19

ok well since u dont want to reply and make this kid look like a fool i will. the way that it is a vortec motor and why all other vortec motors are vortecs is because it make a vortex in the cumbustion chamber. sooo there u got ur answer not quit being a fool.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
Better post-em.

Quote: Originally Posted by S10dude
mine's got 160K with original headgasket and runs perfect (slowbut perfect). and i still have oem timing chain...if taken care of they last a long time
same as mine (knock on wood) mine desperately need the lifters replaced but i dont wanna ruin the perfect head gasket haha. kinda like inadvertently fixing things that aint broke.

overall mines been great 161k on it and doesnt use oil between changes, cold startups sound god awful due to lifter tick (pretty common, but mines been at it for years and 50K miles haha) seems the newer trucks have timing chain issues so pay close attention to ticks and replace before it goes.

starters always go out around 110-130K miles alternators arent far behind that (just wear out it seems)

valve cover gasket will prolly leak so that will need replaceing (10 min job)

internal wise its been great, just stay on top of maintenance (plugs wires fluids, 3-3.5K oil changes) and you will be great
Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #21
m m m myyyyy sonoma

The 2.2 is one of the best truck engines, ever. My last truck only had a 355 in it. I mean, it was pretty fast, could tow a lot, sounded pretty sweet, and was dead reliable, but it was certainly no 2.2.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #22

Quote: Originally Posted by s10newbies10
ok well since u dont want to reply and make this kid look like a fool i will. the way that it is a vortec motor and why all other vortec motors are vortecs is because it make a vortex in the cumbustion chamber. sooo there u got ur answer not quit being a fool.
NICE! Except it actually doesnt... But still, good answer. And your username is s10newbies... I love it.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #23

NICE! Except it actually doesnt... But still, good answer. And your username is s10newbies... I love it.
All engines make a vortex as part of the combustion process, this is just a part of any engine design and intake port tuning. This process was even more important before FI in the carb. days as a way of mixing air/fuel. Vortex is just a name like Atlas or Powerstroke. There are no mechanical features that distinguish Vortex engines other than that they were designed and intended to be used in trucks and they were. That said, I challenge anyone to come up with a reason why the 2.2 (designated and classified by GM as a Vortex family engine) is not.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #24

I challenge anyone to come up with a reason why the 2.2 (designated and classified by GM as a Vortex family engine) is not.
You got it.

There are no mechanical features that distinguish Vortex engines other than that they were designed and intended to be used in trucks and they were.
So how come my 2001 Cavalier with the 2200 is not capitolized as a Vortec? Same motor...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #25

You will have more pep and better fuel mileage with the 5 speed. Not to mention the overall better control in inclement conditions. I wish I could swap my auto for a 5 speed.
The 2.2 was a fine engine, in 1956 or whenever it was designed. I have had a 96 and 2000, and have had a lot of problems with them. Granted, I didn't put the bulk of the mileage on them and dont know how they were treated before me. However, I have a hard time believing that the majority of 2.2 owners sabatoged their head gaskets. The folks who haven't had a HG pop yet--you should go buy a lotto ticket.
That said, I would buy another 2.2 s10, but it would be with the expectation of and commensurate pricing that the engine needed rebuilt.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #26

You got it.

So how come my 2001 Cavalier with the 2200 is not capitolized as a Vortec? Same motor...
Just because it is the same displacement and same size block doesn't make it the same engine package as a whole... Also, taking your rationale into account, no GM engine can be proven to be a vortec because they are all based off of engines that are pre vortec.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #27

Just my .02... I've owned my 2.2 for 12 years now since it was new and I was 16... That being said, I have by no means been kind to it. It has over 170k and never had ANY engine work. I've done my own maintainence, oil, etc. Changed ball joints, u joints, AC, alt. But no block work and it burns no oil. I foresee rebuilding, but judging by the way it sounds, feels, runs... That won't be for another 40-50k. Reliable motor, easy and cheap to work on makes it a joy to own. If I want to go fast, I'll hop on my motorcycle.

TCB
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #28

You got it.

However the engine or a similar one was applied to another vehicle does not in any way prove that the 2200 in the S-10 is not a Vortec. Read the definition I gave.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #29
2.2 Extremist

now, I ain't saying that I know everything, but with that said, If you do your research you would find just waht I said, the 94-97 2.2 is not considered a Vortec but the 98 and up is. I can't exactly tell you why its labeled as a Vortec, but it is, and thats the way it stands, but you want me to explain why it is and you've yet to explain why it isn't. I'm not here to be right all the time, but I was this time. I can tell you I know that it has to do with something the factory did to the head and thats what gave it the distinction of a Vortec motor
Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #30
No more blazer

Lol the intake manifolds are different between cavi and s10...

Other then that.... im out of ideas.

What makes the 6.0 in my silverado a vortec 6000, and not just.... 6000?

Who knows. GM adopted the name they wanted to use in thier line of trucks, and that they did.

Notice that all trucks from the mid 80's to present (GM) have a vortec engine... No cars do. Not one. But alot of the same vehicles share the same block and head.. Intakes are the biggest difference.

You dont see a vortec 6200, 6000 (ect) in a corvette do you? Nope. You do however see an ls9, ls6, ls1 ect.......

Also, my silverado (6.0) and the corvette (5.7,6.0,6.2 ect...) are all LS series engines. Same as GTO, G8, ect.....

Vortec is an adopted name... thats all.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #31
No more blazer

Back on topic,

I have a 2.2 s10 5 speed w 167k on it and the head gasket has been leaking for awhile. I believe the timing chain/belt(whatever) took a crap. But thanks to a buddy i dropped another 2.2 in it from his old truck w 45k on it...

I drive a ton of city miles and almost zero highway and last time i checked my mileage i was getting 20-22 depending..

Couldnt tell you on the freeway... never done it.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #32

I know the 5-speed has more zip and better mileage. Just tired of driving sticks in semi urban setting and having to deal with replacing the clutch. Also, when buying a used truck, there is probably less chance it was dogged with an auto as opposed to a stick. Does the 4.3 fare better in longevity and major/minor probs?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #33

Quote: Originally Posted by 83blazerlaynframe
Lol the intake manifolds are different between cavi and s10...

Other then that.... im out of ideas.

What makes the 6.0 in my silverado a vortec 6000, and not just.... 6000?

Who knows. GM adopted the name they wanted to use in thier line of trucks, and that they did.

Notice that all trucks from the mid 80's to present (GM) have a vortec engine... No cars do. Not one. But alot of the same vehicles share the same block and head.. Intakes are the biggest difference.

You dont see a vortec 6200, 6000 (ect) in a corvette do you? Nope. You do however see an ls9, ls6, ls1 ect.......

Also, my silverado (6.0) and the corvette (5.7,6.0,6.2 ect...) are all LS series engines. Same as GTO, G8, ect.....

Win.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #34

Quote: Originally Posted by 83blazerlaynframe
Win.
Ain't that the point I've been making? So if Vortec is an adopted name w/o distinction, how on earth can you disqualify an engine from the family? Maybe it's only possible in the world of .... Groovy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.