Gen question about 2.2L Vortec - S-10 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10

User is: zephyr is offline
Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Hello,

I am new on this forum and had a general question about the 2.2. I'm considering buying a used 99-2003 S-10/Sonoma and considered the 4.3 but with no heavy hauling anticipated am considering the 2.2 for mileage, trips etc.

I was just wondering what the consensus is on the longevity of this engine? I'm also thinking auto tranny, power is not an issue, but mileage is.

Thanks

MB

zephyr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 02-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36

User is: CraiGM is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

2.2 is not a vortec, and is a turd. Same ohv pos engine thats in the Cavaliers. They dont like head gaskets, so they blow them up. Gas mileage is not that big of a difference either.
CraiGM is offline  
post #3 of 34 Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
one of a kind
 
southernrock20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SA TX
Age: 30
Posts: 1,983

User is: southernrock20 is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

just browse around, there are several threads floating around about what mileage pple get as far as longevity goes.

DTS Turbo pushing close to 230rwhp, MSD full ingition (wires, dis-2 box), Greddy boost controller, Snow Performance meth injection kit, ASP performance Pullies, Hurst short throw shifter, Zexel Posi Unit, Cal trac Bars, Z28 rear sway bar, full drilled and slotted rotors, Disc brake conversion in the rear, 2/3 belltech leaf drop with nitro shocks, Foose 17x8 polished Rims, Wings West full body kit, Custom made s10 and turbo badges
southernrock20 is offline  
post #4 of 34 Old 02-11-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10

User is: zephyr is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernrock20 View Post
just browse around, there are several threads floating around about what mileage pple get as far as longevity goes.
Well I know roughly what mileage it gets. Was more interested in longevity.
Problem with browsing around is that no matter what engine you're talking about (even the most reliable) forums are going to contain umpteen accounts of problems. This is why I was asking what the gen consensus is. I know this is a low tech push rod engine with limited power. This will be a second vehicle and power is not important, longevity and mileage are. I also thought I read that the 4.3 had it's own gasket problems.
zephyr is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM
2.2 Extremist
 
GMC Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Inverness, Florida
Age: 24
Posts: 4,221

User is: GMC Motorsports is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

2nd post is full of fail,

The 98-03 Chevy 2.2L is a Vortec motor, that is why its refered to as a Vortec 2200, and yes, they are notorious for head gaskets, but alot of people on here haven't had to replace the head gasket and are pushing close to 250,000 miles, these motors are slow, and if you don't plan on heavy hauling then a 2.2 automatic is great for just normal driving, I've seen a few s-10's people I know own get decent gas mileage, it just depends on the overall condition of the trucks driveline. and as for longevity, mine personally has 167,648 miles, and the only things I've had to replace is my ECT, valve cover gasket, and my plugs and wires, and I know that my dad used to run the piss out of this truck,

2000 GMC Sonoma SLS
ECSB 2.2L Flex Fuel L43 bored 0.40, 0.20 head shave, 5-Speed, 4.10 gears, Space Blue Metallic, Graphite Int, OBX Header, straight pipe cat delete, Thrush Welded, urethane motor mounts, ZQ8 sway bars, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, ClutchMasters 9lbs flywheel

Other Rides: 09 Canyon 5.3 ZQ8, 05 Duramax, 85 Monte Carlo SS.
GMC Motorsports is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 PM
one of a kind
 
southernrock20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SA TX
Age: 30
Posts: 1,983

User is: southernrock20 is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
Well I know roughly what mileage it gets. Was more interested in longevity.
Problem with browsing around is that no matter what engine you're talking about (even the most reliable) forums are going to contain umpteen accounts of problems. This is why I was asking what the gen consensus is. I know this is a low tech push rod engine with limited power. This will be a second vehicle and power is not important, longevity and mileage are. I also thought I read that the 4.3 had it's own gasket problems.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f137/h...r-dimes-53800/

I know there where at least 2 more threads just in the 2.2 section in the past week or so with pretty much the same question, so thats why I said browse because there where a few threads to answer your longevity question

DTS Turbo pushing close to 230rwhp, MSD full ingition (wires, dis-2 box), Greddy boost controller, Snow Performance meth injection kit, ASP performance Pullies, Hurst short throw shifter, Zexel Posi Unit, Cal trac Bars, Z28 rear sway bar, full drilled and slotted rotors, Disc brake conversion in the rear, 2/3 belltech leaf drop with nitro shocks, Foose 17x8 polished Rims, Wings West full body kit, Custom made s10 and turbo badges
southernrock20 is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
always something new
 
S10dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sacramento,Ca.
Age: 63
Posts: 54,071

User is: S10dude is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

mine's got 160K with original headgasket and runs perfect (slowbut perfect). and i still have oem timing chain...if taken care of they last a long time

All truck pics
http://s93.photobucket.com/user/sdim...?sort=3&page=1.........


Marc .........."01" ExCab 2.2 - 5sp ......On Air......
.......... 2014 Harley Street Glide Special
S10dude is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old 02-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered User
 
Dropped'01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chino So-Cal
Age: 33
Posts: 2,531

User is: Dropped'01 is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Its a good motor, easy to work on, and reliable. I would personally go 5 speed over auto. W/ stock wheels and 60r15 tires and engine mods, i was getting 24mpg city 31+/- highway. It decreased a little w/ the 18's, i think its 22 city now.

'01 S10 2.2L 5 speed, 3"-4" drop, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster, 56mm TB, OBX header, STS Pulleys, Cavi Seats, envoy handles, 8k HID Headlights & Fog Lights, SS Mirrors & Gen III bumper cover, 18" 225's.
Dropped'01 is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36

User is: CraiGM is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Motorsports View Post
2nd post is full of fail
Lol, then you say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Motorsports View Post
and yes, they are notorious for head gaskets,
This guy.

You get one chance to tell me why the 2200 is an actual vortec motor. And dont tell me it is because your little air box says so, or that your manual says so...
CraiGM is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 AM
one of a kind
 
southernrock20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SA TX
Age: 30
Posts: 1,983

User is: southernrock20 is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiGM View Post
Lol, then you say...


This guy.

You get one chance to tell me why the 2200 is an actual vortec motor. And dont tell me it is because your little air box says so, or that your manual says so...
umm, I would think that if the manual and air box has it on there, then I would presume that it would be considered an actual vortec engine. I dont think Gm would label a 2.2 a 5.7 you know.

DTS Turbo pushing close to 230rwhp, MSD full ingition (wires, dis-2 box), Greddy boost controller, Snow Performance meth injection kit, ASP performance Pullies, Hurst short throw shifter, Zexel Posi Unit, Cal trac Bars, Z28 rear sway bar, full drilled and slotted rotors, Disc brake conversion in the rear, 2/3 belltech leaf drop with nitro shocks, Foose 17x8 polished Rims, Wings West full body kit, Custom made s10 and turbo badges
southernrock20 is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36

User is: CraiGM is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernrock20 View Post
umm, I would think that if the manual and air box has it on there, then I would presume that it would be considered an actual vortec engine. I dont think Gm would label a 2.2 a 5.7 you know.
Oh but they do young grasshopper... They do...
CraiGM is offline  
post #12 of 34 Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10

User is: zephyr is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Doesn't matter what is labeled (or mislabeled) or even what the OM says, GM considers this engine part of the Vortec family so there you have it. Case closed. Great thing about a free country is that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however...fact is another matter.
zephyr is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 02-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36

User is: CraiGM is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
however...fact is another matter.
Yes it is. So please, tell me the facts. Other than reading somewhere that the 2200 is a Vortec motor... Like your air box or owners manual.
CraiGM is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM
one of a kind
 
southernrock20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SA TX
Age: 30
Posts: 1,983

User is: southernrock20 is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

how about this, tell us why its not

DTS Turbo pushing close to 230rwhp, MSD full ingition (wires, dis-2 box), Greddy boost controller, Snow Performance meth injection kit, ASP performance Pullies, Hurst short throw shifter, Zexel Posi Unit, Cal trac Bars, Z28 rear sway bar, full drilled and slotted rotors, Disc brake conversion in the rear, 2/3 belltech leaf drop with nitro shocks, Foose 17x8 polished Rims, Wings West full body kit, Custom made s10 and turbo badges
southernrock20 is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered Hoosier
 
Hoosier Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Frankton, Indiana
Age: 58
Posts: 3,687

User is: Hoosier Rick is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

If you don't mind a stick, They have a little more power, and get better mileage. I currently own a 2002 2.2 at. It has 203,000 miles on it, runs good, and will get about 25 mpg hwy. My 95 2.2 5 speed [rip] got 31.22 mpg hwy best.

1992 rcsb 4.3,at 357,000 miles.
2000 Jimmy 4x4 4dr. 252,000 miles
2002 rcsb, 2.2 at, 253,000 miles
1967 C10
Hoosier Rick is offline  
post #16 of 34 Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10

User is: zephyr is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiGM View Post
Yes it is. So please, tell me the facts. Other than reading somewhere that the 2200 is a Vortec motor... Like your air box or owners manual.
The fact is that it's looking like the world according to CraigGM is kinda'..... Groovy.
zephyr is offline  
post #17 of 34 Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36

User is: CraiGM is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernrock20 View Post
how about this, tell us why its not
Yeah right. That would end this thread right quick, ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
The fact is that it's looking like the world according to CraigGM is kinda'..... Groovy.
True... But thats still not fact my friend.

Why doesnt GMC motorsports reply back after that "2nd post full of fail" comment and educate us on exactly why it is a Vortec motor. Then maybe I am wrong, and the world is right.

But from what Ive gathered so far is I know (fact) its not a Vortec motor, and no one here yet knows why it is. But hey, keep calling it a Vortec, I dont care.
CraiGM is offline  
post #18 of 34 Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
one of a kind
 
southernrock20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SA TX
Age: 30
Posts: 1,983

User is: southernrock20 is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiGM View Post
Yeah right. That would end this thread right quick, ha.


True... But thats still not fact my friend.

Why doesnt GMC motorsports reply back after that "2nd post full of fail" comment and educate us on exactly why it is a Vortec motor. Then maybe I am wrong, and the world is right.

But from what Ive gathered so far is I know (fact) its not a Vortec motor, and no one here yet knows why it is. But hey, keep calling it a Vortec, I dont care.

DTS Turbo pushing close to 230rwhp, MSD full ingition (wires, dis-2 box), Greddy boost controller, Snow Performance meth injection kit, ASP performance Pullies, Hurst short throw shifter, Zexel Posi Unit, Cal trac Bars, Z28 rear sway bar, full drilled and slotted rotors, Disc brake conversion in the rear, 2/3 belltech leaf drop with nitro shocks, Foose 17x8 polished Rims, Wings West full body kit, Custom made s10 and turbo badges
southernrock20 is offline  
post #19 of 34 Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 23
Posts: 61

User is: s10newbies10 is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

ok well since u dont want to reply and make this kid look like a fool i will. the way that it is a vortec motor and why all other vortec motors are vortecs is because it make a vortex in the cumbustion chamber. sooo there u got ur answer not quit being a fool.
s10newbies10 is offline  
post #20 of 34 Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Better post-em.
 
comics22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Middle of freakin IL
Posts: 11,036

User is: comics22 is offline
Send a message via AIM to comics22
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10dude View Post
mine's got 160K with original headgasket and runs perfect (slowbut perfect). and i still have oem timing chain...if taken care of they last a long time
same as mine (knock on wood) mine desperately need the lifters replaced but i dont wanna ruin the perfect head gasket haha. kinda like inadvertently fixing things that aint broke.

overall mines been great 161k on it and doesnt use oil between changes, cold startups sound god awful due to lifter tick (pretty common, but mines been at it for years and 50K miles haha) seems the newer trucks have timing chain issues so pay close attention to ticks and replace before it goes.

starters always go out around 110-130K miles alternators arent far behind that (just wear out it seems)

valve cover gasket will prolly leak so that will need replaceing (10 min job)

internal wise its been great, just stay on top of maintenance (plugs wires fluids, 3-3.5K oil changes) and you will be great
comics22 is offline  
post #21 of 34 Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 AM
m m m myyyyy sonoma
 
eyeofthetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 33
Posts: 193

User is: eyeofthetiger is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

The 2.2 is one of the best truck engines, ever. My last truck only had a 355 in it. I mean, it was pretty fast, could tow a lot, sounded pretty sweet, and was dead reliable, but it was certainly no 2.2.

#20: 1996 GMC Sonoma 2wd xtendocab 2200cc 4L60E
modz: Powertrax Lock-Right, kthxbai.
eyeofthetiger is offline  
post #22 of 34 Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36

User is: CraiGM is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10newbies10 View Post
ok well since u dont want to reply and make this kid look like a fool i will. the way that it is a vortec motor and why all other vortec motors are vortecs is because it make a vortex in the cumbustion chamber. sooo there u got ur answer not quit being a fool.
NICE! Except it actually doesnt... But still, good answer. And your username is s10newbies... I love it.
CraiGM is offline  
post #23 of 34 Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10

User is: zephyr is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiGM View Post
NICE! Except it actually doesnt... But still, good answer. And your username is s10newbies... I love it.
All engines make a vortex as part of the combustion process, this is just a part of any engine design and intake port tuning. This process was even more important before FI in the carb. days as a way of mixing air/fuel. Vortex is just a name like Atlas or Powerstroke. There are no mechanical features that distinguish Vortex engines other than that they were designed and intended to be used in trucks and they were. That said, I challenge anyone to come up with a reason why the 2.2 (designated and classified by GM as a Vortex family engine) is not.
zephyr is offline  
post #24 of 34 Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36

User is: CraiGM is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
I challenge anyone to come up with a reason why the 2.2 (designated and classified by GM as a Vortex family engine) is not.
You got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
There are no mechanical features that distinguish Vortex engines other than that they were designed and intended to be used in trucks and they were.
So how come my 2001 Cavalier with the 2200 is not capitolized as a Vortec? Same motor...
CraiGM is offline  
post #25 of 34 Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
484
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 75

User is: 484 is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

You will have more pep and better fuel mileage with the 5 speed. Not to mention the overall better control in inclement conditions. I wish I could swap my auto for a 5 speed.
The 2.2 was a fine engine, in 1956 or whenever it was designed. I have had a 96 and 2000, and have had a lot of problems with them. Granted, I didn't put the bulk of the mileage on them and dont know how they were treated before me. However, I have a hard time believing that the majority of 2.2 owners sabatoged their head gaskets. The folks who haven't had a HG pop yet--you should go buy a lotto ticket.
That said, I would buy another 2.2 s10, but it would be with the expectation of and commensurate pricing that the engine needed rebuilt.
484 is offline  
post #26 of 34 Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 38

User is: TCB2Country is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiGM View Post
You got it.


So how come my 2001 Cavalier with the 2200 is not capitolized as a Vortec? Same motor...
Just because it is the same displacement and same size block doesn't make it the same engine package as a whole... Also, taking your rationale into account, no GM engine can be proven to be a vortec because they are all based off of engines that are pre vortec.
TCB2Country is offline  
post #27 of 34 Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 38

User is: TCB2Country is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Just my .02... I've owned my 2.2 for 12 years now since it was new and I was 16... That being said, I have by no means been kind to it. It has over 170k and never had ANY engine work. I've done my own maintainence, oil, etc. Changed ball joints, u joints, AC, alt. But no block work and it burns no oil. I foresee rebuilding, but judging by the way it sounds, feels, runs... That won't be for another 40-50k. Reliable motor, easy and cheap to work on makes it a joy to own. If I want to go fast, I'll hop on my motorcycle.

TCB
TCB2Country is offline  
post #28 of 34 Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10

User is: zephyr is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiGM View Post
You got it.


So how come my 2001 Cavalier with the 2200 is not capitolized as a Vortec? Same motor...
However the engine or a similar one was applied to another vehicle does not in any way prove that the 2200 in the S-10 is not a Vortec. Read the definition I gave.
zephyr is offline  
post #29 of 34 Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
2.2 Extremist
 
GMC Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Inverness, Florida
Age: 24
Posts: 4,221

User is: GMC Motorsports is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

now, I ain't saying that I know everything, but with that said, If you do your research you would find just waht I said, the 94-97 2.2 is not considered a Vortec but the 98 and up is. I can't exactly tell you why its labeled as a Vortec, but it is, and thats the way it stands, but you want me to explain why it is and you've yet to explain why it isn't. I'm not here to be right all the time, but I was this time. I can tell you I know that it has to do with something the factory did to the head and thats what gave it the distinction of a Vortec motor

2000 GMC Sonoma SLS
ECSB 2.2L Flex Fuel L43 bored 0.40, 0.20 head shave, 5-Speed, 4.10 gears, Space Blue Metallic, Graphite Int, OBX Header, straight pipe cat delete, Thrush Welded, urethane motor mounts, ZQ8 sway bars, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, ClutchMasters 9lbs flywheel

Other Rides: 09 Canyon 5.3 ZQ8, 05 Duramax, 85 Monte Carlo SS.
GMC Motorsports is offline  
post #30 of 34 Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 PM
No more blazer
 
83blazerlaynframe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Warren, mi
Posts: 1,235

User is: 83blazerlaynframe is offline
Send a message via AIM to 83blazerlaynframe
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Lol the intake manifolds are different between cavi and s10...

Other then that.... im out of ideas.

What makes the 6.0 in my silverado a vortec 6000, and not just.... 6000?

Who knows. GM adopted the name they wanted to use in thier line of trucks, and that they did.

Notice that all trucks from the mid 80's to present (GM) have a vortec engine... No cars do. Not one. But alot of the same vehicles share the same block and head.. Intakes are the biggest difference.

You dont see a vortec 6200, 6000 (ect) in a corvette do you? Nope. You do however see an ls9, ls6, ls1 ect.......

Also, my silverado (6.0) and the corvette (5.7,6.0,6.2 ect...) are all LS series engines. Same as GTO, G8, ect.....

Vortec is an adopted name... thats all.

Oaktown Trucks
minitruckin is not just an obsession, its a lyfstyl
All the Blood, All the Sweat, All the Tears, I live for this.
My build- http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...90-s10-358408/
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniblazinbmx View Post
everything is more work than it's worth. Minitruckers FIND the worth in it. That's what makes it custom.
83blazerlaynframe is offline  
post #31 of 34 Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
No more blazer
 
83blazerlaynframe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Warren, mi
Posts: 1,235

User is: 83blazerlaynframe is offline
Send a message via AIM to 83blazerlaynframe
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Back on topic,

I have a 2.2 s10 5 speed w 167k on it and the head gasket has been leaking for awhile. I believe the timing chain/belt(whatever) took a crap. But thanks to a buddy i dropped another 2.2 in it from his old truck w 45k on it...

I drive a ton of city miles and almost zero highway and last time i checked my mileage i was getting 20-22 depending..

Couldnt tell you on the freeway... never done it.

Oaktown Trucks
minitruckin is not just an obsession, its a lyfstyl
All the Blood, All the Sweat, All the Tears, I live for this.
My build- http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...90-s10-358408/
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniblazinbmx View Post
everything is more work than it's worth. Minitruckers FIND the worth in it. That's what makes it custom.
83blazerlaynframe is offline  
post #32 of 34 Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10

User is: zephyr is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

I know the 5-speed has more zip and better mileage. Just tired of driving sticks in semi urban setting and having to deal with replacing the clutch. Also, when buying a used truck, there is probably less chance it was dogged with an auto as opposed to a stick. Does the 4.3 fare better in longevity and major/minor probs?
zephyr is offline  
post #33 of 34 Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36

User is: CraiGM is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83blazerlaynframe View Post
Lol the intake manifolds are different between cavi and s10...

Other then that.... im out of ideas.

What makes the 6.0 in my silverado a vortec 6000, and not just.... 6000?

Who knows. GM adopted the name they wanted to use in thier line of trucks, and that they did.

Notice that all trucks from the mid 80's to present (GM) have a vortec engine... No cars do. Not one. But alot of the same vehicles share the same block and head.. Intakes are the biggest difference.

You dont see a vortec 6200, 6000 (ect) in a corvette do you? Nope. You do however see an ls9, ls6, ls1 ect.......

Also, my silverado (6.0) and the corvette (5.7,6.0,6.2 ect...) are all LS series engines. Same as GTO, G8, ect.....

Vortec is an adopted name... thats all.
Win.
CraiGM is offline  
post #34 of 34 Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10

User is: zephyr is offline
Re: Gen question about 2.2L Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83blazerlaynframe View Post
Vortec is an adopted name... thats all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiGM View Post
Win.
Ain't that the point I've been making? So if Vortec is an adopted name w/o distinction, how on earth can you disqualify an engine from the family? Maybe it's only possible in the world of .... Groovy!
zephyr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome