gear ratio question? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

gear ratio question?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #1

gear ratio question?

I have a 1999 s10 xtreme ext. cab. It has the 2.2L, auto, 4.10 gear. I know switching to a 3.73 would make it more of a dog, but would the difference in gas mileage on the highway be worth it? I couldn't tell you what it gets right now because I don't ever drive it. But in January I will be getting a new job that will require me to drive an hour to work so the blazer will be retired as the dd and replaced with the xtreme. I also plan on doing CAI, cat-back exhaust, pulleys, e-fan, and computer tune. So what do you think, would it be worth switching to a 3.73 gear?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Local Tech

User is: OffLine
Re: gear ratio question?

ehh..... probably not by very much..... yes, it would lower ur rpm's at highway speeds in top gear, but like i said, not by much...... imo, the 2.2 has so little to begin with..... why would you make it slower? especially if ur gonna spend money to make it quicker later?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #3

ya i agree i have a s10 with the 4.10 gears and its still slower then all get out lol id leave it cause idk if it would help maybe 1 or 2 mpgs im guessing
Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #4

The other mods are ment to help with mpg, not trying to make it fast. lol... But if I could pick up 2mpg or more I think it would be worth it. I realize these trucks are already very slow in stock form, but thats why I have my trans am if I want to go fast. The s10 is just needed to be a reliable dd with the best gas mileage I can get out of it.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Local Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by millertime21
The other mods are ment to help with mpg, not trying to make it fast. lol... But if I could pick up 2mpg or more I think it would be worth it. I realize these trucks are already very slow in stock form, but thats why I have my trans am if I want to go fast. The s10 is just needed to be a reliable dd with the best gas mileage I can get out of it.
i understand ur point, but its not worth it imo...... even if you do the job yourself, and leave everything else alone.... a gear set is about $180 give or take, plus gear oil, cover gasket..... figure $200.... how many miles would you have to drive to have that even pay for itself?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
forum idiot

i think it would help but you would be giving it more gas to go faster since it will be slower...and that would mean less mpg
Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
Forum Dictator

You need more mods to compensate the ratio change, then that's where different gearing will help you on highway mainly and city, rather improve some mpg on highway and decrease in city
Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
built for stangs

if your looking to get better mpg. You may laugh at me but it works. look into hho/brown gas/hydrogen. If you know how to work on cars you could install one of these systems and get some serious savings. I have a tutu for a daily driver and after seeing the mpg my buddy is getting with a crappy system I am starting to buy the parts to do mine. I will post a thread once I finish it in a couple weeks. i am looking to get about 45 mpg. right now i get 30. THese system are no joke once you get it tuned you can get some serious mpg. CHeck out fuel-saver.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.