Gas Tank Removal - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Gas Tank Removal

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
scrapes speedbumps

User is: OffLine
Gas Tank Removal

I have a manual 2000 S10 2.2L 2200, and I was wondering, how hard is it to pull the gas tank out to replace something. i have an EVAP code that keeps popping up, and i took it in to see what was wrong and they said they had to pull the gastank out to replace a vent or something that measures pressure in the tank, just wondered how hard this was cause the sensor is like 20 bucks he said, but its 2 hours labor which is like 60 bucks an hour. does this sound right to anyone else?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Gas Tank Removal

I think it is better to pull the bed off than to drop the tank. Thats just my .02 cents. When i replaced the fuel pump a couple months ago thats what i did. The bed is only held on by 8 bolts, but you will need a buddy or 2 to help you remove it.
also, spray the bolts down before you mess with them, it helped on my 94.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #3
scrapes speedbumps

Quote: Originally Posted by FireBall
I think it is better to pull the bed off than to drop the tank. Thats just my .02 cents. When i replaced the fuel pump a couple months ago thats what i did. The bed is only held on by 8 bolts, but you will need a buddy or 2 to help you remove it.
also, spray the bolts down before you mess with them, it helped on my 94.
i was thinking the same thing, shouldnt be too hard to do with some help, but the guy said you had to pinch off some wires when pulling it off, but i could leave the tank on and just take off the bed, now i just need to figure out what the dude was talkin about, any help with that anyone?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
I Like Fire....HaHaHa

I don't think there are any Evap emission sensors right on the tank. Think the only "sensor" near the tank regarding the Evap and emissions is the solonoid located on the tank crossmember right above the driveshaft. If so, its a synch. Find out if thats the sensor they are talking about.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
MVP

Quote: Originally Posted by mikedd_87
i was thinking the same thing, shouldnt be too hard to do with some help, but the guy said you had to pinch off some wires when pulling it off, but i could leave the tank on and just take off the bed, now i just need to figure out what the dude was talkin about, any help with that anyone?
When doing the bed, you have two screws holding the filler neck in, a ground going to the filler neck, and the wires he was talking about are for the taillights. You just need you take the lights out and run those wires down throught the bed (take bulbs out so they don't break before running wires). then unclip the wires from under the bed by the rear bumper.

Its a simple job, just need someone to help lift the bed on and off.

I'm not sure what the problem is but if its the pump/filter/sending unit then its easy to fix.

Last edited by FireBall; 05-23-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.