FYI PO178 & PO179 Codes - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

FYI PO178 & PO179 Codes

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #1

FYI PO178 & PO179 Codes

Did some research on the 2 blasted codes as my 2000 2.2 Flex was throwing them and no help from local shops or really an explanation on this site. There is a fuel composition sensor in line on the 2.2 flex fuels that measure the amount of ethanol mix in the gas if your running flex fuel. It is located in the fuel line on the frame rail behing the LF inner fender. No parts stores carry the sensor and from what I've read GM wants like $600 for it. Basically if your running regular gas you don't have to worry about it. I drove mine for 50k miles with it and finally thought I'd look into it. If you do have to change it your best bet is to go to a junk yard like a cash n carry and you can get it for around $5-$10. Yes it's a used sensor but the cost definatley justifies it. Just thought I'd put up the post letting everyone know what I found.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
my hoopty

User is: OffLine
Re: FYI PO178 & PO179 Codes

good to know
Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
LS3 - T56 coming SOON !

Good Lookin Out!......thank's....
Old 04-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
BeatSkeeter

He should get bonus points for putting the code number in the thread title too... Good job!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #5

Just to help set the record straight, this flex fuel sensor is on trucks that use regular gas too. If your truck has the 5 in your VIN (code L43 on your build sheet), then you will have this sensor even if you run your truck on regular gas.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #6

That is the flex fuel code isn't it? From what I read it is on flex fuel trucks. I only ran regular gas but if my research was correct the sensor measures the amount of ethanol in a blended fuel and adjust the engine accordingly. Bottom line that I meant was that unless you are running blended fuel or need it to pass inspection, it's not that important of a sensor and if you have to change it now you know where it's at and to get it from a junk yard since the dealer will rip you a new one. Funny thing was that all 3 shops and 2 parts stores I talked to (Well 1 and a half NAPA and Advanced1/2) was that nothing they had including computerized diagnostic software told them anything about it except go see hte dealer. Tell me they don't have that scam running full speed ahead.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #7

Yes, those are the flex fuel codes. If your truck throws those codes, your sensor has failed and needs to be replaced. I have those codes up on my truck right now but I don’t have the funds to get the sensor yet. My gas mileage has turned to crap because this sensor is feeding the wrong data back to the computer for fuel management.

You are correct where it is located and that you have to go to GM to get the part.

That was a good idea to see if you can find one in the wrecking yard if you can get it for $20 to $30 bucks. If it works, that’s a cheep fix. If not, then you’re not out a lot of cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.