Fuel Pressure Regulator Change-out (How To) - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Fuel Pressure Regulator Change-out (How To)

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

User is: OffLine
Fuel Pressure Regulator Change-out (How To)

Okay for YEARS I have had the hard-start issue. Think most of all of us have.

I finally got around to getting all the small and annoying things taken care of on the truck.. and trying to get it all done before winter.

Changed out the FPR and for the first 3 starts it has fired right up.. CROSS YOUR FINGERS..

With any service you do, there are some tricks and tips. I know this isn't the most challenging thing there is to do.. but I ran into a couple things and thought I would post em up.

There it is.. that miserable choking beast.. I wonder if she knows I am about to slay her?

She tried and succeeded in making me wait to take her out.. the 24MM bolt that holds the fuel line into her caused me some grief when I found out I didn't have that size wrench.. which postponed her fate 1 more day..

Innocent looking enough.. tucked into the back of the fuel rail and slightly under/in the intake.. As any predator does.. I stalked my prey..

the bolt gave way and she didn't waiver.. she was going to hold on to the very end.

Nut off.. this is *IMPORTANT* put a small piece of tape on the line a few inches back from the FPR. IF YOU DON'T.. the nut will slide BEHIND THE ENGINE.. ON TOP OF THE BLOODY TRANSMISSION.. and you will have a BITCH of a time getting it back up to connect it. Ask me how I know? Does 1 jack, 1 jackstand and 10 minutes of being full on pissed off give you a hint? AND I will say this.. it is harder than FOOK to get to because there is NO room for hands or arms in those areas

Ahem.. back to the story. She bled only slightly as I took the line out.. mere drops.. little did I know she was stabbing me in the back.. the nut went behind the engine with me unknowing. She would be sure to inact revenge even after she was gone.. an act of a scorn lover it seems. Had she wanted to stay.. why did she not work? THAT is the question.. I guess she was not happy being on the fuel rail but didn't want to not be on it either..

I tried different sockets and none were able to either fit around the bolt holding the FPR on the rail, or if they did.. didn't move a thing. As any of you may do.. you stick your finger over the bolt to try to leave an impression on your finger you can check real quick with the socket.. (at least I do this if I can't see the bolt) I wasn't able to get anything but a depression.. hmm... Knew it would not be a screwdriver.. but wait? A torque head bolt possibly? I have 2 extra fuel rails inside the garage so I went and checked. I pulled some bits out and found the right one.

The bolt is a T30 torque head bolt.. the bolt it's self is round, which would be why I wasn't able to get any mustard while turning sockets on it.

1/4" drive, 1/4" socket and a T30 bit.

I took her off.. oh she bled.. but the rail bled more. She seemed to hurt all around her. I let the rail bleed.. it stopped and I took the bitter part to compare.. neh.. to see who would replace her..

Clipped the end of the vacuum hose since it had already been used and was stretched.

I put the Vacuum hose on and popped it back into the socket on the rail.

Put the Torque head screw back in and cranked her down. Reinstalled the line and this is when the bitter FPR struck it's last bit of revenge on me..

I had to jack it up, put a stand under it and spend about 10 minutes fighting to get the nut up enough to where I then got on top of the engine (laying on top of the engine) all the while using one hand to get the nut moved up and back onto the new FPR.. FECK!

Back on. Took me about an hour to do because of taking pics, finding the right size of tools to use, and the damn fuel rail nut.

Got a new Air Filter (other one that was a shorty.. just kinda fell apart..)
Old 11-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator Change-out (How To)

BTW first 3 starts are all good. No excessive cranking.. LET'S HOPE THIS IS THE KEY!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #3

nice job i hope it works for you.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Time will tell. I am hoping it is not bad injector seals
Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
Wondersmith

$ of new one?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

sorry $55.00 for the 99 2.2L.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 AM   #7
i saw what you did there!

fuel injector pressure regulators are on average around 40 bucks or so, but could be less or more depending on application

if the reg is ruptured then there will be raw fuel in the vacuum hose when you yank it off the reg..

i just replaced one on a 2000 silverado 1500 pickup the other day with the 5.3 engine

it was very badly ruptured and was hard to start and ran badly and could smell the extra fuel it was sucking into the intakr through the vacuum hose to it

replaced it and all those problems and things went away
i erased the code with the scanner and its been fine ever since

we come across ruptured vacuum fuel regs pretty often,,

ford and gm both,, 3800 engines all years, 3.1 and 2.8 engines early 90s and older,, ford tauruses etc., trucks, and on, and on

if you totally disconnect it then it alllows full fuel injector pressure at idle, start, crank, etc,

Last edited by fast68chevy; 11-05-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

FPR is good, I am still thinking it is a bad injector. New thread on Injectors coming right up!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #9

Resurrection! I am getting ready to replace this because of my hard starting issues and tried of having it...hope this does it.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

I thought a crescent wrench was a 24mm...

I need to take may vacuum line off and check for gas. @$55 it better be dry!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

heard that! Good luck. Hard start is still an issue for me. Not all the time, just about 65% of the time like it has been for 5 yrs now
Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #12

I pulled the vacuum line off the top of the throttle body (the one most to the front) and put it on and off and never saw liquid or spray.

You are supposed to be able to start with no use of the accelerator. I've cranked mine like that so far today and it fires right up. So far.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Let's hope that is what you needed
Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #14

I can't seem to get the fuel line bolt off... I'm feeling like its going to yank the entire mounting backet off the fuel rail. Any suggestions?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
Air ride & Audio

Torx*
Old 07-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #16

I must say this has been the most amusing HOW TO I have read to date, I feel like I went through an adventure.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #17

ive having some problems too like fuel related runing like shit i also have a cell and stock sending unit but this also mite be bad on mine because is sayin like lean on bank one and 4 and emssons codes pop up i deleted the evap box and ran lines stright to the pump so idk
Old 07-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Wicked.. I wish I knew more about it. It is a problem I THINK GM should have addressed. Too many of our trucks and other makes with hard start, and fuel level issues.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Quote: Originally Posted by sprinterman52
I must say this has been the most amusing HOW TO I have read to date, I feel like I went through an adventure.
LOL

welcome to my life
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #20

Sorry to resurrect but I just did this today. I wanted to post my experience.

Why I replaced it.....about 25% of the time I would get a hard hot start...Then it became more around 50% of the time and started taking increasingly longer crank before firing. Then you could smell a lovely scent of raw fuel after it fired and became increasingly worse.

At first I thought it may have been a bad fuel pump. But it wasn't. Oh yeah always check grounds when a fuel pump don't work. Thats another story just figured I'd throw it in there. Then after reading and reading I got to thinking it sounded more like an fpr. So I removed the vacuum line and smelled after running it and it stank. Also the original line cracked and broke so had to replace that too.

So today I went and bought the 54.99 dollar part from Autozone and since it was a special order the guy was sending an employee to another autozone and they happened to have one in stock so he had her bring it back with her. So I had to wait an hour and half to get it but was better than waiting an entire day I guess.

The 24mm came off rather easy of course and I cut corners and didn't tape that to the fuel rail and boom it slid to the bottom of the line. and I tried from the bottom to get it then from the top to get it. Then I reached into the wheel well and that was pretty easy to get from there. So if it slides down on you because you forgot to tape it go for the wheel well first you'll feel it in there. The T30 also came out easy.

Now comes the fun part. I was able to get the T30 back in easyily. and mounted the FPR with relative ease. Then came that 24mm collar bolt. What a pain in the ass that was. The line didn't go back in as easy as it came out so I was pushing and pushing on it then I slide the bolt up to see if I could get more leverage that way. I ended up having to grease the tip of the line and sliding the bolt up and then carefully placing pliers behind it (I say carefully cause you don't wanna apply any force to the handle of the pliers otherwise you'll crush the line.) and used it as sort of a wall to push on so I could apply more pressure. after a bit more it finally pushed the line back into the FPR and I tightened it back down and was done.

Although it took 5 minutes to get the thing off. It took about 45 minuets to get the line back into it. Otherwise I suspect it would take on average around 20 minutes to 25 minutes.

Anyways thats my story with this pos. Anyone who is gonna do this if you don't tape that bolt as the OP suggested you will be cursing the crap out of it.

I wanna say thanks to the OP for the pics and information it helped save me a lot more time.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #21

Do you got to have two wrenches one to hold the one side the other to take it off what size wrench should i use
Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #22

Thats good information to know
Old 08-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #23
King of Cupcakes

sorry to bring up an old thread, but when the FPR is going out, did any of you have this symptom? my 96 blazer, 4dr 2wd 4.3, when i turn the key on, but not start, shows i have like 60 psi of fuel pressure gauge. then i hear a "click" and it goes to zero psi. the "click" sounds like its coming from under the dash, passenger side... im not sure whats causing it, but if it doesnt start after a few cycles of turning the key off and back on, i have to pour a little bit of gas down the throttle body. the current pump/assembly in the blazer is about a year and a half old. im already going to drop the tank and check it out, had a buick that we thought the fuel pump went out in and it was the little rubber hose had a crack on the side and all the fuel was just pouring back into the tank..maybe thats it.. but once it starts up, it runs great...and when you shut it off, it fires right back up. i do smell fuel, like its running rich.. but its not like someone is pouring fuel somewhere. and the hard to start kinda leads me to the FPR.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #24

Quote: Originally Posted by jonathank
I can't seem to get the fuel line bolt off... I'm feeling like its going to yank the entire mounting backet off the fuel rail. Any suggestions?
I put a large screwdriver between the FPR and the rail to counter the wrench torque.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #25

I replaced my FPR today - just wanted to add a few notes:- I put a zip tie on the fuel line to keep the nut from sliding down behind the engine
- a 15/16" wrench works as well as a 24mm
- I taped the T30 bolt to the bit with electrical tape so it didn't fall out while installing it
- I used vice grips (gently) on the fuel line up against the FPR, and twisted a large flat tip screwdriver between them to seperate them. I used the vice grip to help pull the line into the new fpr as well
- Replacing the fpr did not fix my hard start problem.
- Also, I tested the vacuum diaphragm with a vacuum pump/gauge and it was not leaking based on it holding vacuum pressure. I'll look into the injectors next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.