Engine sputters when accelerating! Help! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Engine sputters when accelerating! Help!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Engine sputters when accelerating! Help!

I have a 96 S-10, with the stock 2.2L and 5 speed tranny. It just started doing this today. When I am accelerating, the engine starts to sputter. It's worse when I get up into 3rd and 4th gear and give it more gas. If I put it in neutral and rev the engine, it revs just fine. It's only when the engine is under load. If I accelerate nice and slow, then it's not so bad. But this truck accelerates nice and slow even when I'm giving it hell! I'm assuming that it's the fuel pump or filter. I replaced the filter last year sometime. The truck has 230,000 miles on it too. It has always ran like a champ and is in good condition other than this problem. It's been a couple of years since I installed new plugs and wires, but due to the sudden emergence of this problem, I'm thinking that it's the fuel pump. Any other ideas before I go pulling the tank off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #2

Re: Engine sputters when accelerating! Help!

double post sorry.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

Mine was doing the same thing, then yesterday the fuel pump gave out on me. Just got done putting the new fuel pump in actually. PM me if you need any help/tips on how to put the new one in.

I did the filter first before I realized when you turn your key to the aux point, you normally hear the hummm sound from the pump. Mine wasn't making that sound after it died on me. I can get some pics (won't help too much but it's something).....

Good luck

I have a 97 2.2 5spd by the way....
Old 09-28-2008, 01:23 AM   #4

i would try plugs and wires, and fuel filter. if you ever run your truck really low on gas or run it out of gas, you can suck up a lot of trash out of the bottom of your tank. if none of those things fix it, it didn't hurt anything changing them since it was probably past due for them.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
More Cowbell

Do 96 have a tps sensor? Mine acted the same when mine went.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #6

Mine was doing that misfire thing along with a SES light on the dash. The codes said a cylinder 1 misfire. I changed the spark plugs and wires and now everything is fine.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Sik-98

my truck does the same sputtering, ive dont coil packs, plugs, wires, egr, fuel filter, no codes....its been doing it for two years lol.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 AM   #8

well if the check engine light is on i would suggest tune up. if not pump and it is much easyier to pull the bed off the truck to replace the pump because that rust is nasty to deal with on your back in your eyes. plus its 6 bolt on the bed and the plus one for the ground wire in the back and 3 screws where you caps is and its ready to come off.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #9

the is a tsb about this on alldata it says that it is a cloged fuelpump stainer.. mine did the same thing and stoped for a wahile and hasnt started doing again
Old 10-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
Forum Dictator

Check fuel pressure
Old 10-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by Jonny_00
the is a tsb about this on alldata it says that it is a cloged fuelpump stainer.. mine did the same thing and stoped for a wahile and hasnt started doing again
my truck had clogged up strainers. they caused problems. the only thing is if your truck has the 1 piece fuel pump/sending unit, you can't buy strainers. they don't come off. i took my assembly half way apart and used a shop vac and a couple of hours of time to suck the trash out the strainers. it fixed my problem, but it could be a number of different things. when mine was clogged the fuel pressure was normal but i guess under a load it couldn't produce the volume of fuel needed
Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #12

My truck has the same problem, fixing it tonight. Turns out it is a broken motor mount. Everytime the engine is under load the truck sputters. We found out when I was sitting in the truck and put it in gear, held the brake and gave it a little gas. It sputtered and almost shut off. My boyfriend was looking under the hood....motor moves a good six inches. Don't know if this could be it for you...better to look before you drop the tank.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by ikkinrolyat
My truck has the same problem, fixing it tonight. Turns out it is a broken motor mount. Everytime the engine is under load the truck sputters. We found out when I was sitting in the truck and put it in gear, held the brake and gave it a little gas. It sputtered and almost shut off. My boyfriend was looking under the hood....motor moves a good six inches. Don't know if this could be it for you...better to look before you drop the tank.
Well engine breaking is going to make the motor move... Unless the motor mount is gone and is grounding a wire out when it leans i dought thats peoples issue. If your having issues of sputtering under load you need to make sure your wires are not arching under load which they can do. Bad Spark plus can cause a miss but if there bad enough to miss consistently they will more then likely miss fire all the time. Like most people say you can check fuel pressure, low will cause miss under load. BUT you also need to check fuel volume. You can have the pressure but is your pump actually pumping enough fuel. There info on how much volume your pump should produce. If you haven't done a tune up in a long time try replacing plugs,wires and your inline fuel filter.If your still having power issues then your going to go more in depth with check your fuel pump, making sure you sensors are reading correctly and further.Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #14

yeah its not a fuel pressure issue it is a fuel volume issue it just doesnt flow as much as it needs
Old 10-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by jeffery_843
my truck had clogged up strainers. they caused problems. the only thing is if your truck has the 1 piece fuel pump/sending unit, you can't buy strainers. they don't come off. i took my assembly half way apart and used a shop vac and a couple of hours of time to suck the trash out the strainers. it fixed my problem, but it could be a number of different things. when mine was clogged the fuel pressure was normal but i guess under a load it couldn't produce the volume of fuel needed
yeah you cant get just the strainers..they are a one piece pump just be glad we can change our filters.. unlike new crystlers they are a complete one piece sealed for life unit the filter is in the pump and you have to chance the whole thing... what were they thinking
Old 10-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #16

there have been so many threads about this same problem that everyone seems to be having... has anyone heard of a recall on this.. normally when there is a tech survice bullitain it is for a recall but it is hard to say.. but im a firm believer that it is a fuel pump issue
Old 10-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #17

Well, I am a total idiot. I've been out of town for almost a week, but I got back and I installed a new fuel pump tonight and it was still dead. No pumping at all. Then I remembered the ground wire that I removed on the back of the frame on the left side. Surely not.... Yep. But, I had already installed the new pump, wire harness, etc. So, I tried it out and it started pumping gas. The truck fired up okay, but it's still doing it's hesitating thing. I'm back to square one. I called Auto Zone where I bought the pump, and they told me I could return the pump. I just need to drain the gas. That's really cool of them. I figured it was mine forever as soon as I submerged it in my gas tank. The pump was $220. I'm thinking about keeping it anyways though, since my old pump was whining pretty loudly.

Anyways, now I'm back to trying to figure out this problem. I did notice that there is a hose that comes out of the top of the fuel pressure regulator, and it leads up to a plastic ball thing on the hood. The hose is totally worn out, melted, etc. Anybody know what this does? It looks as if this hose has been like this for a long time. It's just a vacuum line. I doubt it's my problem. This problem started suddenly. It didn't come on gradually. I was driving down the road and there it was. Somebody suggested the Throttle Position Sensor. Wouldn't that give me a check engine light if it were bad? That part is $25. A fuel pressure regulator is about $65. Any other thoughts? I'm leaving on Friday to go overseas for a week or so. Hopefully I can have it fixed by then! At least I can drive it now. Thanks for any input!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 AM   #18
got me some 20s

wow i just started a thread and it seems mine is doing the same thing pretty much..i was gonna start with fuel system since there's no SES light, but now im not sure what to do lol
Old 10-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #19

the hose you are talking about is for the fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure as the egines manifold vacuum in increased. say under engine load. i would deff. fix this hose i bet its your problem. oh and while your at it check the regulator to be leaking gas out where the vacuum line runs into. they go bad alot and this will also cause a running issue.

oh and by the way if you didnt replace the fuel filter when you did the pump it may be a good idea. an old dirt filter can put alot of wear on a fuel pump. i replace them every time i do a pump at work. hope this helps
Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #20

i am having the same exact problem as the thread starter. it started after i put in some gumout fuel system cleaner. might be coincidence but i figure its worth mentioning. i changed the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, took it to a mechanic for a diagnostic where he checked cylinder compression (fine) and some other stuff that i forgot but he couldnt figure it out and reccomended a new ecm so i got one programmed to my vin, put it in, and still same problem. i have checked the fuel pressure (fine), the fuel pump does turn on, changed that vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator and the 2 connected to it, went to jiffy lube and had their pressurized fuel system cleaning thing done, took out the fuel injectors and had them professionally cleaned/serviced, cleaned out the intake plenum and all that other stuff attatched to it as my hanes manual instructed, and after all of that still no luck. i was thinking it could be a plugged catalytic converter but the problem came on pretty suddenly and slowly got worse. i cannot afford to have another mechanic look at it and know that there isnt really a way to check the cat without just replacing it. i have also recently started using shell v-power gas in hopes that it would help but no such luck. please help!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #21

I took my 98 sonoma to a muffler shop and they did a check on my cat by drilling a small hole in the bottom and hooking it up to a machine... they welded the hole shut after they wer done. turns out my cat was fine. my terd is doing the same shit. hookd it up to my buddys snap on code reader and it was saying "clyinder 4 misfire" so I Replaced the #1-4 coil pack, wires, plugs, and a few rotted out vac hoses. still running wierd....
Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #22

I have close to the same problem although my sputter is between 1st and 2nd gear when the engine is cold. It also does it slightly (but not as bad) when its still cold while maintaining any speed over 45. Its kind of like when you get moisture in your distributor cap. I'm assuming it has something to do with the block itself. I blew a rod and had to get a new block (the old engine never had the problem). I replaced the block with a used 4.3L with 60k miles and I started to get the problem. I just assumed it was the distributor shaft so I replaced that along with the cap and rotor. Also did the plugs, wires, and fuel filter (fuel pump is new along with almost everything else). I still have the problem but it goes away after 5 or 10 minutes of driving. The only thing i can think of is maybe its a tranny problem or the block itself. any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #23

I took the cat off and put in a new one and now that i did it accels much better now
Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #24

I put a fuel cell with external fuel pump and it's body dropped but it'll idle fine but giving it gas trying to move will make it die and the fuel pump also gets really hot
Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
always something new

did you check pressure ? filter ?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
2Low2Tow

You guys, talk bout bringin back a damn old thread....lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.