S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Fan

172K views 190 replies 79 participants last post by  Rhotpursuit 
#1 · (Edited)
Theres is a ton of differnt ways to install an electric fan. There is no perfect fan but there are many that work more than hard enough to keep the engine cool. The Taurus fan is very popular as well as a few aftermarket fans which through many failing one me I am now biased to one company. All the fans can be mounted in a few differnt ways and there is no wrong method as long as it holds the fan as close as possible the radiator. This is a very easy mod and can take a few minutes to a few hours depending on your mechanical skill but the result is worth whatever time you put into it.

To remove the clutch fan remove the shroud. Get either the porper tool from a auto parts store. They usually have a free loaner program to get the fan off. Or get a big ass wrench to fit the center nut on the fan and Unbolt it. Some times it takes a few whacks from a hammer on the wrench to pursuade the nut to come off. Now Install the fan with whatever method you would like. Once done for optimum cooling reinstall the shroud

To install the fan there are a variety of ways. You can get some angled steel make some brackets upper and lower and screw them to the upeer and lower radiator support,. and then bolt the fan to that. You can go the Nylon straps route through the radiator like I did. You can make a bracket that will just brace the fan at the bottom and hold it snug at the top with a spring load of the sort. There is no wrong way as long as its secure.

To wire just buy the 20 dollar kit. It has I think 6 wires. they are all color coded.

1. Main power for Relay
2. Main ground for Relay
3. A/C or sometimes called over ride switch wire that you tap into the A/C wire so when its on the fans on
4. Thermostat input wire, they all have some type of thermo switch
5. Thermostat Output wire, There should be 2 wires for the thermo one in and on out
6. Primary fan power +
7. Some have a secondary fan +

Real simple to wire up no big deal. Once you wire up the relay system. Install the fan run the Primary fan power wire from the relay to the fans + wire. Run the ground for the fan to the frame.

If its a set temp style system you donr. Turn on the A/C once the fan turns off to make sure you wired that correctly. If its adjustable you run the vehicle No A/c till the gauge on the dash is at the temp you want it to turn on then you adjust the thermostat switch the fan kicks on.

You will notice the engine is quieter, more responsive, little more tourque, and slightly better milage.

See less See more
#70 ·
When I talked to him sat night he did say that he is working on having it redone sometime soon. He has been tied up finishing the twin turbo kit he's been trying to release this month it sounded like.

#73 · (Edited)
I used the 1.5", but I have the 2.8L V6 in my S10. My Cavalier with the 2.2L has 1.25" hose, but it already has an e-fan from the factory. So, the hose size may very well be different. The fan in the Cavalier is 14" s-blade.

The Summit link wasn't mine, that was jraney.

#78 ·
yep that was me. I measured the ID of the hose and OD of the radiator neck to be sure it was 1.25"

#74 ·
AHhhh.. hmm. I found a link last night with the size as 1.25" also for the upper hose. I didn't get it due to needing to hold back on the efan for the time being.

#75 ·
I just got my e-fan and billet mounting kit, just waiting for my billet upper radiator to come so I can install it all with the flex-a-fan vsc controller. I can't wait to see how the engine reacts to not having a fan to spin all the time! :rotf:

#76 ·
hell yeah man. I am still planning on this. Just have a couple days work already for her. Funny how my neighbors used to be.. "that thing not running" < less hillbilly..

I heard a comment when I was doing my front brakes from some beotch across the street.. "just take it somewhere.. you are always working on it.. take it someplace if you can't fix it".. I heard her talkin smack. She probably didn't know I could hear her. Funny what people think sometimes. Pics man.. lots o' pics.

#80 ·
Lol thats how they are out there, my neighbors use to talk smack to me out there all the time. They do it here too, But much less now cause i got a shit ton of tools and they can tell i dont mess around. My neighbor next door just give me shit cause im always tinkering w/ something. He says my truck is gonna be pretty much new. Well yeah thats the idea dumb dumb that just bought a new truck! And i dont have a car payment is what i say in return. That generally shuts them up.

#77 ·
i used a set of fans out of a chrysler intrepid $40 a on off temp switch from napa ts6717 dont remeber the price, 2 bosh style 5 pin relays and some wire. here is the wiring diagram i came up with

#81 ·
/\ everyone is saying the same thing "you could have bought a truck for what your spending on it!"

Yes I know, I didn't want high payments, and this has been paid off for 6 yrs..

Right there with you. :)

#82 ·
MadJack do you have pics of this fan installed I am thinking about doing your setup just want to see how clean it looks installed

#83 ·
If i have a puller fan would that be best to go on the front of the radiator than on the engine side

#85 ·
ssean92, here it is less the shroud:

This was before I installed the radiator hose adapter and I have a first gen with the 2.8L. The 2.2L is in my Cavalier.

#87 ·
Sweet deal thanks allot for the pic. I ordered all the stuff you did from jegs only thing I did diff was got a new 3.8 taurus Fan. I like the low and high speed.

#89 ·
Well it has cost allot more then I wanted to spend. After doing some research the stuff I ordered will not handle the load req. of the taurus fan. So I have to rewire the temp controller with 8 gauge wire. so all in all 100 fro the stuff from JEGS 100 for the fan and another 30 for the the 75 amp relay and 50 amp circuit breaker. 30 for the 8 gauge wire....so all in all do allot more research before you buy your stuff.....LOL But it will all be worth it once I get it all wired up.

#90 ·
When I do my efan, I am going to get a new taurus fan, get a ford dual 40am circuit breakers and rewire the ends. I want to be as factory as possible. i will get the pieces from Jegs (thermostat sleeve) but other than that.. I am going to try to use all Ford electronics for it. I will post up my "build-up" when I do this.

#92 ·
Well I have it all installed except the relay for the Ac signal.... Missing the Diode. I am very pleased with the taurus Fan, I got a new on from ebay and I opted to go with the Radiator hose adapter so I didn't have to stick anything into the radiator fins. The hardest part was finding a place to mount the relays and C/B. but I think it turned out pretty darn good VERRRRY pleased. Here is a few pics

Attachments

#93 ·
Ok I cant get this ac relay to work. I wired it up according to the Jegs temp switch, my question is when will the 87a terminal have power?..... it's not getting any power at all and that is where the power is suppose to be coming from for the second relay. HELP PLEASE

#94 ·
i got a truck that has an electric fan and i have to turn a switch on and off every time. sometimes i forget to turn it on and down the road i flip it on noticing my temp going up. it is my 3rd vechicle so i always forget to turn it on.

until i get a themostat/relays and stuff....here is the question, is there a good place to get switched power under the hood?

i know this isnt the right way to power an electric fan but can someone point me to a switched 12v?

#97 ·
I used the pink wire on the ignition coil to provide a switched signal to the fan relay. DO NOT use this to power the fans!

Use a fused wire from the battery positive to power the relay #30, then #87 out to the fans.

#86 to the pink coil wire, #85 to the temp sensor.

My Intrepid fans

Installed

$60 for the fans, another $30 for a sensor and relay.

#98 ·
awd v8

thanks but i guess since mine has 2 coil packs it may not work for me. i just want to turn the key and have the fan come on any time i drive it. a source that only has power when the eng or key is in the "on" position. i know the fans will melt wires if i get power from any where that isnt enough amperage.

as it is the toggle switch wires have turned a different color from the heat.

again. i know it isnt the way to do things but neither is turning it on and off manually. just dont want to run relays and sensors and stuff that i still have to worry about. if i could find a fan blade to buy i would just do that. parts houses only sell the v6 blades and the jy doesnt have any....... screw a couple hp. i got an integra to run hard

#132 ·
toggle switch will work fine if you use it to turn the relay on and off but if you want to toggle the battery voltage to the fans than I agree it wouldn't last.

My e-fan is out of a 95 chevy beretta V6. Granted it's a little small but I had it lying around so I used it. Only time it's been an issue is on real hot days in Southwest Florida sitting in traffic with the AC on it will ever so slightly creep up. I'm going to eventually upgrade to dual fans but it's pretty much a non issue right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.