Electric Fan - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Electric Fan

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
Pressurized 2.2 Member

User is: OffLine
Electric Fan

Theres is a ton of differnt ways to install an electric fan. There is no perfect fan but there are many that work more than hard enough to keep the engine cool. The Taurus fan is very popular as well as a few aftermarket fans which through many failing one me I am now biased to one company. All the fans can be mounted in a few differnt ways and there is no wrong method as long as it holds the fan as close as possible the radiator. This is a very easy mod and can take a few minutes to a few hours depending on your mechanical skill but the result is worth whatever time you put into it.

To remove the clutch fan remove the shroud. Get either the porper tool from a auto parts store. They usually have a free loaner program to get the fan off. Or get a big ass wrench to fit the center nut on the fan and Unbolt it. Some times it takes a few whacks from a hammer on the wrench to pursuade the nut to come off. Now Install the fan with whatever method you would like. Once done for optimum cooling reinstall the shroud

To install the fan there are a variety of ways. You can get some angled steel make some brackets upper and lower and screw them to the upeer and lower radiator support,. and then bolt the fan to that. You can go the Nylon straps route through the radiator like I did. You can make a bracket that will just brace the fan at the bottom and hold it snug at the top with a spring load of the sort. There is no wrong way as long as its secure.

To wire just buy the 20 dollar kit. It has I think 6 wires. they are all color coded.

1. Main power for Relay
2. Main ground for Relay
3. A/C or sometimes called over ride switch wire that you tap into the A/C wire so when its on the fans on
4. Thermostat input wire, they all have some type of thermo switch
5. Thermostat Output wire, There should be 2 wires for the thermo one in and on out
6. Primary fan power +
7. Some have a secondary fan +

Real simple to wire up no big deal. Once you wire up the relay system. Install the fan run the Primary fan power wire from the relay to the fans + wire. Run the ground for the fan to the frame.

If its a set temp style system you donr. Turn on the A/C once the fan turns off to make sure you wired that correctly. If its adjustable you run the vehicle No A/c till the gauge on the dash is at the temp you want it to turn on then you adjust the thermostat switch the fan kicks on.

You will notice the engine is quieter, more responsive, little more tourque, and slightly better milage.

Last edited by GoofyGuy; 06-21-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Forum Dictator

Re: Electric Fan

Picture Tutorial

Use 10mm socket, 3 bolts on top and 2 bolts on EACH side of the fan shroud

Now you have the top removed

Bottom is easy to take off, slide it off

Dont forget the overflow hose thats attach to bottom shroud clip

Bottom fan Shroud

Last edited by What?; 03-13-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Forum Dictator

Now with upper and bottom fan shroud remove
You need 3/8" rachet set on "Lefty Loosey"

Pull it as far you can and stuff rough rag/towel in this location

Now let the belt tightens as u let the rachet back to orignal position to put pressure on rag on belt and pulley to make it harder for pulley to slip

As you see, i insert crescent wrench in there, now use a hammer or anything than you can hit end of wrench to loosen clutch fan, now after loosening it, it should look like this

Do procedure again to loosen the belt and remove the rag/towel

Voila, clutch fan is removed

Last edited by What?; 10-05-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Forum Dictator

Mounting the efan works however you want it, there are alot of ways to hold the efan with any kind of mount you come up with, mine is temporarily holding up by zip ties in where ac condensor used to be(mounting in front of radiator)
Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Forum Dictator

MORE E-fan Mods link!

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...cfan/index.php
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/d...8/#post5287951
http://www.s-seriesforum.com/how-to-efan.html

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/h...-review-59490/

Those who uses stereo system and wanting to do efan mod, follow this thread, it will help out your electrical system
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f202/b...0/#post4590136

Last edited by What?; 09-29-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
Forum Dictator

Those with efan installed

POST ONLY EFAN/WIRING KIT INSTALLED

Keep it pic only and state what efan is it, where you get it from, keep this very simple so can be used for variety of ways how its installed, kits, mounts, brands
Old 04-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
don

just installed my zirgo e-fan and t-stat switch very easy install only about 1 1/2 hours working slowly brake every 15min ...lol...i hope the pic works of the wiring diagram i ran the power wire to the fuse block there where a few blank spots because i don't have power windows/lock/ac ext.

Last edited by don; 04-22-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
Barack Obama for Prez

i put contour fans in today its dark now soo ill get pics tomorrow one quick question though. i got a 180* stat what do i set my fans at
Old 06-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #9

most factory fans cut off at a certain speed, you guys doing similar at all? it looks by the wiring diagrams your leaving on one fan all the time and the other comes on when too hot or ac is on?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:09 AM   #10

anyway to make it turn off at speeds? im afraid ill be burning up this motor running 1 all the time! and with the ac on 99% of the time need something to cut off the ground for both relays at speed?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
I'm Cooler Online

I did this modification this past weekend. I used a fan from a 90 3.8L Taurus. I only had to cut out a small rectangle from the lower S-10 shroud and trim the Taurus shroud. I also used a complete relay/adjustable temp kit. Total cost was about $90. $50 for the relay, $30 for the fan, $10 for wires/ends etc.

I only hooked up the low speed fan. It seems to be holding up well with the A/C on in traffic in the Carolina heat.

I've definitely picked up one, maybe 2 mpg.

Last edited by Silverado C/S-10; 07-15-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:27 AM   #12
Loves The MPG

something i learned that helped me out a shit load was instead on useing a rag or towel to stop the pulleys i used a strap wrench. (my stock fan as a pain to break free) i found using the strap wrench i had more control and was safer. i'll be posting pic's as soon as i have some free time during daylight hours
Old 08-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
Happy with ugly truck

Cavalier E-fan, I shoulda went bigger. If I stay outta the traffic in the twin cites it's fine

Cut the shroud, put the top back on. Notched it to fit my fan

$2.99 meat thermometer FTW!
Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
I'm Cooler Online

^The reason that fan didn't work is because it's only pulling air through about 60% of the radiator. That's why the taurus fan modification is so popular, its shroud covers 95%+ of the radiator and fits well with little modification. Also, it might not be pulling very many cfm's.

Last edited by Silverado C/S-10; 08-11-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
NOT AN S10

has anyone done a fan that blows air into the radiator? i saw a fan on a caddy at the junkyard that did that. are there any advantages/disadvantages to having a fan blow air through or have air suck in?

i know the a/c condenser is the farthest forward and it might not have a flat surface to sit on if the fan was blowing air into the engine bay. on the other hand, it would be a cleaner look, since nothing would be hanging in back of the radiator into the engine bay, so it would look like there is no fan.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
Happy with ugly truck

That'd be a pusher fan, as opposed to a puller. I'm thinking about doing it to have a cleaner look.
I've read people argue that a pusher is not as efficent.

Can someone answer this. Can you switch the wires to make a fan spin the other way? Is this hard on the fan or something? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
goin broke but n style

you can swittch the wires to make it push, but it may not be efficent since most fan blades are curved
Old 08-12-2008, 03:13 AM   #18
Happy with ugly truck

Oh, I see. Shitty.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
NOT AN S10

i saw at the junkyard, some cadillacs are pushers from factory. so since its a caddy, i'm assuming they curved the blades the right way.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #20
I hate thieves

I've read to use the 97 Taurus fan from a 3.8L...only prob is 97 Taurus came with 3.0 or 3.4....would the 95 fan work?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #21
shifting gears

FYI, it seems like a lot of people have issues getting the fan removed with the simple rag trick. I also tried jamming a screwdriver against the bolts, but mine wa really tight. I just busted my knuckles repeatedly.

Auto Zone has a rental tool ($20 deposit) 27018 - Called a Ford 4.9 Fan Clutch Wrench Set. 5 minutes later (including opening the hood) and one knuckle bust later and I had the fan removed. These wrenches are long. One grabs the shaft, the other jams between the nuts on the pulley. It was easily worth the bicycle trip to Auto Zone on the other side of town.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #22
I'm Cooler Online

Quote: Originally Posted by johnmyster
FYI, it seems like a lot of people have issues getting the fan removed with the simple rag trick. I also tried jamming a screwdriver against the bolts, but mine wa really tight. I just busted my knuckles repeatedly.

Auto Zone has a rental tool ($20 deposit) 27018 - Called a Ford 4.9 Fan Clutch Wrench Set. 5 minutes later (including opening the hood) and one knuckle bust later and I had the fan removed. These wrenches are long. One grabs the shaft, the other jams between the nuts on the pulley. It was easily worth the bicycle trip to Auto Zone on the other side of town.
I used the same tool, but my deposit was $60. They must be more trusting in your town!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #23
The Wonky One

ive got a system in my truck thats 1200 peak, 330 RMS. I plan on putting an upgraded pulley set on there. If i do that and an Efan mod, would i still need to upgrade the stock wiring? So far its given me no problems. Always at over 14 volts, even if the system is blasting super loud.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #24
tu-tu guru

no...you dont have too, but it wouldnt hurt...search "big three" on here and do that
Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #25

what kinda belt do you get once you remove the fan clutch pully???
Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #26
This season SUCKS.

Quote: Originally Posted by j_ehle
I've always understood that you don't remove the pulley, just the fan. The same belt will run there, but there's no drag from the fan.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #27
Don't look at my car

Quote: Originally Posted by j_ehle

You just take the fan blade assembly off. You don't take off the belt driven part.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #28

yea that logical thanks. you guys are great here
Old 06-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #29
the Token Freak

Quote: Originally Posted by Buddha..

Cavalier E-fan, I shoulda went bigger. If I stay outta the traffic in the twin cites it's fine

N/m Im getting to do a set up like that, i got a fan out of a Camero

Last edited by chvys10; 06-25-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #30

I'm trying to get a definitive list put together of everything I will need to do this properly. Everything I've read so far has confused the hell out of me.

So for one speed I would need:
  • Fan
  • Inline fuse (size?)
  • Relay kit w/ temp sensor switch
The wiring is battery to inline fuse, fuse to relay, relay to temp switch and fan, temp switch to switched power source(where?) and fan/temp switch both grounded.

Is it best to tap into the A/C and have two speed? If so what else is needed and how would the wiring change (if it's correct)?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #31
NOT AN S10

what if i can't get the bolt for the fan loose? it keeps spinning and a rag makes it spin more
Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #32
tu-tu guru

get a fan wrench from auto zone or any other parts store....it helps
Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #33
Forum Dictator

My rag isn't new and I stuffed it enough, although you can get a pry bar in between bolts(that goes onto clutch fan to pulley) in between then whack the hammer to loosen it up, do it carefully. That's my alternate way that works everytime.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #34

Quote: Originally Posted by What?
My rag isn't new and I stuffed it enough, although you can get a pry bar in between bolts(that goes onto clutch fan to pulley) in between then whack the hammer to loosen it up, do it carefully. That's my alternate way that works everytime.
yeah this is what it took to get mine off today.

also have to change the alternator and i would like to punch the guy in the face that put that damn bolt in backwards that is hard to get to on the side. think it'll be going back on with a nut on the back and bolt through the front
Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #35
NOT AN S10

Taurus efan, it was from a 96 or so. It wasn't from the 3.8 as people said to find, i think it was a 3.0 but the dimensions were right. Fan controller is from autozone, had built in relay and hookup for a/c and is adjustable. Hooked up on only one speed, still draws a ton of amps, but eh.

Upgraded to a thicker radiator (1" thick core) at the same time, drilled holes in plastic of taurus shroud and bolted/zip tied to radiator

I used a 4.3 shroud since I got the wrong one from the yard, so i had to cut around for the filler cap. I also drilled holes (BE CAREFUL) in the shroud to hold the a/c lines

Did the same thing on the bottom side, drilled small holes to let the plastic nubs into the taurus shroud for the overflow tank connection. Careful once again, don't have pics ATM

Last edited by tg900; 01-26-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #36

can i take the fan out of a sho 3.4 would it pull the right amount of air
Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #37

This mod has a newb all confused...could someone please explain what this mod does and how exactly this is to be done?

From what I understand you replace the old fan with a new one and somehow you get better performance? and how does this tie into the AC? the fan only runs when the AC is blowing?

thanks guys
Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #38
is a fungineer

Quote: Originally Posted by NoVadair
This mod has a newb all confused...could someone please explain what this mod does and how exactly this is to be done?

From what I understand you replace the old fan with a new one and somehow you get better performance? and how does this tie into the AC? the fan only runs when the AC is blowing?

thanks guys
What it does is remove your stock mechanical fan and install an electric one. Cleans up the engine bay (some extra room), and frees up a little power.

The easiest installation is putting the fan on a manual toggle switch inside the cab. The best way is to use a temperature sensor and relay so the fan comes on automatically when the engine reaches a set temperature.

Yes, the AC tie-in is that the fan will automatically override and turn on when the A/C is on regardless of engine temperature.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #39

thanks for clearing that up, it is starting too make a little bit more sense.

what is the purpose in tying it into your ac? what if you decide not to run your ac? will things start to over heat
Old 05-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #40

I tried to wire up my ac comp and when I went to try it out it would not let the comp kick on. I clipped the wire and the comp kicks on. Any ideas on where I went wrong? I am using a probe style hayden adj thermostat. Relay and a fan out of a 96 olds 3.1 v-6.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #41
NOT AN S10

Quote: Originally Posted by NoVadair
thanks for clearing that up, it is starting too make a little bit more sense.

what is the purpose in tying it into your ac? what if you decide not to run your ac? will things start to over heat
The thing tying it into your A/C is so when your a/c is on, your fan is on, regardless of engine temp. You don't want to run the a/c standing in place with no air moving across it...i hear you can burn/blow something...not sure why but just don't do it. That's why you make the fan turn on with the a/c on so you have air moving across the condenser at all times.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #42

So, if I was to do this, using this kit.

Where would the gold thermometer go in the engine?

From what I am understanding, all I would need is the e-fan from a early taurus 3.8L, the wiring pictured, and remove my clutch fan...is that correct?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #43

Quote: Originally Posted by mrbrace
So, if I was to do this, using this kit.

Where would the gold thermometer go in the engine?

From what I am understanding, all I would need is the e-fan from a early taurus 3.8L, the wiring pictured, and remove my clutch fan...is that correct?
well it'd go where the temp sensor is currently so if you're thinking a tee fitting forget it ,been there done that it pulls temp sensor out of the coolant flow and will read 50 degrees cooler. i'd suggest the probe type from autozone and if you'er going to use a/c you need 2 relays.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #44

Quote: Originally Posted by A CLEANMACHINE
well it'd go where the temp sensor is currently so if you're thinking a tee fitting forget it ,been there done that it pulls temp sensor out of the coolant flow and will read 50 degrees cooler. i'd suggest the probe type from autozone and if you'er going to use a/c you need 2 relays.
Ok, keeping that in mind, what would be the wiring diagram then? I will be using A/C for sure . So that setup would replace the stock temp sensor and I also need a probe temperature sensor? I guess i am looking for an exact breakdown of what all I need to buy and how to wire it. I can handle the labor portion of it.

I guess i am getting confused amidst all the threads on e-fans.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #45

is this stud the 12v auxilary thats switched?
Attached Thumbnails
Electric Fan-0819000226.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #46

Quote: Originally Posted by BrettHarkness
is this stud the 12v auxilary thats switched?

That post is hot all the time.(12v) That is where I picked up the power feed for the fan. I put a 30 Amp fuse in there and it has worked fine. I keep a 50 in the truck for just in case. I run the low speed primarily but have run the high with no problems.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #47

you can use the wiper circuit feed on key sourced wire under wiper motor, just test which one.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #48

My truck is an 03 2.2 5 spd reg cab. I have the Taurus fan. Using only low speed. It has been in for about 2 years. After months of searching and 1 purchase I finally found a fan switch that would work for my truck. I installed a 180 stat and the truck runs, according to my temp gauge, around 185 on the open high way. The original fan switch
(Pic # 1) I had in the truck came on at 212 and off at 198. To hot for me when sitting at a light. I installed a manual switch (Pic # 2) to trigger the relay when I was sitting for long periods to prevent the engine from getting to hot. I don’t use it much now with the new switch installed. I found the fan switch I have now after going through countless catalogs and hard to find spec pages for switches.

The one I found is listed at OPEN at 97 c and CLOSES at 82 c. That converts to 197.6 F and 188.6 F. My temp gauge (Pic # 3) has a 100 then a long line (155) and a 210. The first line is 168.75. The middle is 182.5. The third is 196.25. The temp at cruise sits just above the 182 line. According to my dash gauge it comes on between the 196 mark and the 210. It goes off a little below the 196 line. The pictures I have enclosed show the way I have the switch mounted (Pic # 4) in the upper radiator hose. I took a copper fitting (Pic # 5) and tapped it out to a 21 x 1.5 thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Electric Fan-1-old-fan-switch.jpg   Electric Fan-2-switch-for-relay.jpg   Electric Fan-3-temp-gauge.jpg   Electric Fan-4-fan-switch-in-line.jpg   Electric Fan-5-copper-fitting-.jpg  

Last edited by nstoolman1; 08-20-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #49

Part 2
Then cut a hole in the pipe (Pic # 6) and brazed the copper fitting to the pipe and installed it. I personally did not like the idea of putting a sensor in the radiator or having the adjustable one. I figure a once install and forget was good enough. I am in the process of repairing the A/C so when that is done I will wire another relay in for the high side of the fan.

The part I found is an Airtex/Wells 1S4391(SW 552). I paid $10.27 S+H included. I ordered it from Rock Auto and it was shipped in 2 days. I looked again today and the price went up to and a delay. I may have got the only one in stock so be ready for the wait.
The price is right so be patient. Fortunately the old one had the same threads. When I got it I unscrewed the old and in with the new. Works great. Some other pics include my fuse box (Pic # 7) where I hooked my power (6 gage) for the fan to the spare fused post. As you can see I am running a 30-amp fuse. I also modified the feed (Pic # 8) from the 4 gage wire to a 2 gage 3/8 post. I partially pulled the radiator to feed the wire where the original went. Hope this helps some one who is thinking about a simple way to run their fans.

Attached Thumbnails
Electric Fan-6-pipe-and-fitting.jpg   Electric Fan-7-fuse-and-post.jpg   Electric Fan-8-new-feed-pos.jpg  
Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #50

Quote: Originally Posted by don
just installed my zirgo e-fan and t-stat switch very easy install only about 1 1/2 hours working slowly brake every 15min ...lol...i hope the pic works of the wiring diagram i ran the power wire to the fuse block there where a few blank spots because i don't have power windows/lock/ac ext.
do you have any problems with your fan cooling your engine? could you send me a list of the things needed to do it? and a list of how to do it? i want to do this so bad on my s10 because i want more mpg's and hp's. oh and does yours work fine with the ac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.