S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Fan

172K views 190 replies 79 participants last post by  Rhotpursuit 
#1 · (Edited)
Theres is a ton of differnt ways to install an electric fan. There is no perfect fan but there are many that work more than hard enough to keep the engine cool. The Taurus fan is very popular as well as a few aftermarket fans which through many failing one me I am now biased to one company. All the fans can be mounted in a few differnt ways and there is no wrong method as long as it holds the fan as close as possible the radiator. This is a very easy mod and can take a few minutes to a few hours depending on your mechanical skill but the result is worth whatever time you put into it.

To remove the clutch fan remove the shroud. Get either the porper tool from a auto parts store. They usually have a free loaner program to get the fan off. Or get a big ass wrench to fit the center nut on the fan and Unbolt it. Some times it takes a few whacks from a hammer on the wrench to pursuade the nut to come off. Now Install the fan with whatever method you would like. Once done for optimum cooling reinstall the shroud

To install the fan there are a variety of ways. You can get some angled steel make some brackets upper and lower and screw them to the upeer and lower radiator support,. and then bolt the fan to that. You can go the Nylon straps route through the radiator like I did. You can make a bracket that will just brace the fan at the bottom and hold it snug at the top with a spring load of the sort. There is no wrong way as long as its secure.

To wire just buy the 20 dollar kit. It has I think 6 wires. they are all color coded.

1. Main power for Relay
2. Main ground for Relay
3. A/C or sometimes called over ride switch wire that you tap into the A/C wire so when its on the fans on
4. Thermostat input wire, they all have some type of thermo switch
5. Thermostat Output wire, There should be 2 wires for the thermo one in and on out
6. Primary fan power +
7. Some have a secondary fan +

Real simple to wire up no big deal. Once you wire up the relay system. Install the fan run the Primary fan power wire from the relay to the fans + wire. Run the ground for the fan to the frame.

If its a set temp style system you donr. Turn on the A/C once the fan turns off to make sure you wired that correctly. If its adjustable you run the vehicle No A/c till the gauge on the dash is at the temp you want it to turn on then you adjust the thermostat switch the fan kicks on.

You will notice the engine is quieter, more responsive, little more tourque, and slightly better milage.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Picture Tutorial

Use 10mm socket, 3 bolts on top and 2 bolts on EACH side of the fan shroud

Now you have the top removed

Bottom is easy to take off, slide it off

Dont forget the overflow hose thats attach to bottom shroud clip

Bottom fan Shroud

#3 · (Edited)
Now with upper and bottom fan shroud remove
You need 3/8" rachet set on "Lefty Loosey"

Pull it as far you can and stuff rough rag/towel in this location

Now let the belt tightens as u let the rachet back to orignal position to put pressure on rag on belt and pulley to make it harder for pulley to slip

As you see, i insert crescent wrench in there, now use a hammer or anything than you can hit end of wrench to loosen clutch fan, now after loosening it, it should look like this

Do procedure again to loosen the belt and remove the rag/towel

Voila, clutch fan is removed

#4 ·
Mounting the efan works however you want it, there are alot of ways to hold the efan with any kind of mount you come up with, mine is temporarily holding up by zip ties in where ac condensor used to be(mounting in front of radiator)

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Those with efan installed

POST ONLY EFAN/WIRING KIT INSTALLED

Keep it pic only and state what efan is it, where you get it from, keep this very simple so can be used for variety of ways how its installed, kits, mounts, brands

#7 · (Edited)
just installed my zirgo e-fan and t-stat switch very easy install only about 1 1/2 hours working slowly brake every 15min ...lol...i hope the pic works of the wiring diagram i ran the power wire to the fuse block there where a few blank spots because i don't have power windows/lock/ac ext.

#51 ·
did you put ur shrods back on? and which way are ur fans rotating

#9 ·
most factory fans cut off at a certain speed, you guys doing similar at all? it looks by the wiring diagrams your leaving on one fan all the time and the other comes on when too hot or ac is on?

#10 ·
anyway to make it turn off at speeds? im afraid ill be burning up this motor running 1 all the time! and with the ac on 99% of the time need something to cut off the ground for both relays at speed?

#11 · (Edited)
I did this modification this past weekend. I used a fan from a 90 3.8L Taurus. I only had to cut out a small rectangle from the lower S-10 shroud and trim the Taurus shroud. I also used a complete relay/adjustable temp kit. Total cost was about $90. $50 for the relay, $30 for the fan, $10 for wires/ends etc.

I only hooked up the low speed fan. It seems to be holding up well with the A/C on in traffic in the Carolina heat.

I've definitely picked up one, maybe 2 mpg.

#190 ·
I did this modification this past weekend. I used a fan from a 90 3.8L Taurus. I only had to cut out a small rectangle from the lower S-10 shroud and trim the Taurus shroud. I also used a complete relay/adjustable temp kit. Total cost was about $90. $50 for the relay, $30 for the fan, $10 for wires/ends etc.

I only hooked up the low speed fan. It seems to be holding up well with the A/C on in traffic in the Carolina heat.

I've definitely picked up one, maybe 2 mpg.
I’m interested in doing the same mod. Can you provide details on how you control the fan. And has it been reliable?

#12 ·
something i learned that helped me out a shit load was instead on useing a rag or towel to stop the pulleys i used a strap wrench. (my stock fan as a pain to break free) i found using the strap wrench i had more control and was safer. i'll be posting pic's as soon as i have some free time during daylight hours

#13 ·

Cavalier E-fan, I shoulda went bigger. If I stay outta the traffic in the twin cites it's fine

Cut the shroud, put the top back on. Notched it to fit my fan

$2.99 meat thermometer FTW!

#14 · (Edited)
^The reason that fan didn't work is because it's only pulling air through about 60% of the radiator. That's why the taurus fan modification is so popular, its shroud covers 95%+ of the radiator and fits well with little modification. Also, it might not be pulling very many cfm's.

#15 ·
has anyone done a fan that blows air into the radiator? i saw a fan on a caddy at the junkyard that did that. are there any advantages/disadvantages to having a fan blow air through or have air suck in?

i know the a/c condenser is the farthest forward and it might not have a flat surface to sit on if the fan was blowing air into the engine bay. on the other hand, it would be a cleaner look, since nothing would be hanging in back of the radiator into the engine bay, so it would look like there is no fan.

#16 ·
That'd be a pusher fan, as opposed to a puller. I'm thinking about doing it to have a cleaner look.
I've read people argue that a pusher is not as efficent.

Can someone answer this. Can you switch the wires to make a fan spin the other way? Is this hard on the fan or something? Thanks.

#17 ·
you can swittch the wires to make it push, but it may not be efficent since most fan blades are curved

#18 ·
Oh, I see. Shitty.

#20 ·
I've read to use the 97 Taurus fan from a 3.8L...only prob is 97 Taurus came with 3.0 or 3.4....would the 95 fan work?

#21 ·
FYI, it seems like a lot of people have issues getting the fan removed with the simple rag trick. I also tried jamming a screwdriver against the bolts, but mine wa really tight. I just busted my knuckles repeatedly.

Auto Zone has a rental tool ($20 deposit) 27018 - Called a Ford 4.9 Fan Clutch Wrench Set. 5 minutes later (including opening the hood) and one knuckle bust later and I had the fan removed. These wrenches are long. One grabs the shaft, the other jams between the nuts on the pulley. It was easily worth the bicycle trip to Auto Zone on the other side of town.

#23 ·
ive got a system in my truck thats 1200 peak, 330 RMS. I plan on putting an upgraded pulley set on there. If i do that and an Efan mod, would i still need to upgrade the stock wiring? So far its given me no problems. Always at over 14 volts, even if the system is blasting super loud.

#26 ·
I've always understood that you don't remove the pulley, just the fan. The same belt will run there, but there's no drag from the fan.

#30 ·
I'm trying to get a definitive list put together of everything I will need to do this properly. Everything I've read so far has confused the hell out of me.

So for one speed I would need:
  • Fan
  • Inline fuse (size?)
  • Relay kit w/ temp sensor switch
The wiring is battery to inline fuse, fuse to relay, relay to temp switch and fan, temp switch to switched power source(where?) and fan/temp switch both grounded.

Is it best to tap into the A/C and have two speed? If so what else is needed and how would the wiring change (if it's correct)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.