ecm reset - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

ecm reset

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 02:17 AM   #1

ecm reset

i removed the ecm1 fuse ,the eng1 fuse and the ecm b fuse on my 00 2.2 s10. this should reset the computer to factory settings right . trying to get my mileage up. currently getting 21mpg with a new tuneup. i hear of people getting 30+ mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 02:24 AM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: ecm reset

The only thing that resetting the ecm does is clear all the trouble codes out of memory and reset the "learned" fuel tables back to stock. After a few startups, the computer will actually remember and adjust itself to the way you drive. What did you do for your tuneup? It should involve plugs, wires, new fuel filter, air filter, fuel injection service or cleaner added to tank, etc. I don't think the 2.2 engines have a cap a distributor, right. It's that coil pack or something. Also tire pressure can contribute largely to fuel economy. As well as your driving habits. Lead foot drivers won't get good MPG.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:47 AM   #3

tune up was new acdelco platnum plugs ,bosch wires. 195 degree thermo, and cleaned the k and n .tire pressure is good. doesnt really matter how i drive it it gets about the same mileage. i had a 93 s10 4.3 that got the same mileage as my2.2. it was an auto with 3.42 gears and i drove the crap out of it
Old 11-12-2004, 01:07 PM   #4

Some 2.2's just DO NOT get good mileage. I had a 98 S10 2.2 5 speed that the best I ever got out of it was 24mpg on the highway. Most of the time it was around 20-21mpg. I do drive hard but even highway it wouldn't get decent mileage. It got totalled and I got a 98 Sonoma 2.2 5 speed and it gets better mileage and I drive it the same as the old one. I get 24mpg pretty regularly. 26 is the best it's ever gotten. I did tune ups on both and had new cats on both and still the mileage sucked on the S10. The S10 only had about 44,000 when it got totalled. The Sonoma had 78,000 when I bought it. So it has nothing to do with the age of the engine.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:51 PM   #5
slowly fast

Remove the negative battery cable and hold down the brake pedal for 30 seconds.Then just hook the neg. cable back up good to go.You will know it was done right if you pre sets or clock on your radio has to be reset.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:18 AM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by Stinky
Remove the negative battery cable and hold down the brake pedal for 30 seconds.Then just hook the neg. cable back up good to go.You will know it was done right if you pre sets or clock on your radio has to be reset.

Wouldn't the presets on the radio disappear when the negative cable is pulled anyway? Even if its just pulled for a second off the battery? And what does pressing the brake pedal do? I've never heard of that method for resetting the ecm. I thought you just had to pull the battery cable for 10-15 minutes?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
slowly fast

Quote: Originally Posted by 01_ZQ8_S-10
Wouldn't the presets on the radio disappear when the negative cable is pulled anyway? Even if its just pulled for a second off the battery? And what does pressing the brake pedal do? I've never heard of that method for resetting the ecm. I thought you just had to pull the battery cable for 10-15 minutes?
Not always.Especially if you have alot of stereo equipment and bass caps.Amps,head units,ECU's,electronics in general have capasitors that store energy for a short period.I can disconnect the neg cable in my truck and my interior light will still come on for a minute or so.Pressing on the brake pedal bleeds off any capasitance in the electrical system.Thats why they tell you to wait 10-15 min.Its easier and faster to just hold the brake pedal down and bleed it off.

Last edited by Stinky; 11-13-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by Zeeke98
Some 2.2's just DO NOT get good mileage. I had a 98 S10 2.2 5 speed that the best I ever got out of it was 24mpg on the highway. Most of the time it was around 20-21mpg. I do drive hard but even highway it wouldn't get decent mileage. It got totalled and I got a 98 Sonoma 2.2 5 speed and it gets better mileage and I drive it the same as the old one. I get 24mpg pretty regularly. 26 is the best it's ever gotten. I did tune ups on both and had new cats on both and still the mileage sucked on the S10. The S10 only had about 44,000 when it got totalled. The Sonoma had 78,000 when I bought it. So it has nothing to do with the age of the engine.
I dove alot of traveling for work and I average about 400 miles per tank on the highway. The most I have gotten out of one tank was 416 miles from luling,louisiana to tallahassee, florida. I have a 2.2 also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.