ECM fuse keeps blowing... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

ECM fuse keeps blowing...

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

Unhappy ECM fuse keeps blowing...

I have a 1999 S10 LS EXT Cab with the 2.2l 4 cylinder engine. The other day when driving my car died and we towed it home. Turns out my ignition fuse and my ECM Injector fuse blew. Changed them out and it started up and drove just fine. Today after driving 1/2 a mile the 15A fuse for the ECM Injector blew up again. I replaced it and as soon as I turned the key to the ON position the fuse blew again, and it keeps doing this.

Checked wiring but can't tell if anything is shorting or not. It is all wrapped in some kind of plastic covering. Don't see anything obvious either.

Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #2

Re: ECM fuse keeps blowing...

Quote: Originally Posted by JustinAh91
I have a 1999 S10 LS EXT Cab with the 2.2l 4 cylinder engine. The other day when driving my car died and we towed it home. Turns out my ignition fuse and my ECM Injector fuse blew. Changed them out and it started up and drove just fine. Today after driving 1/2 a mile the 15A fuse for the ECM Injector blew up again. I replaced it and as soon as I turned the key to the ON position the fuse blew again, and it keeps doing this.

Checked wiring but can't tell if anything is shorting or not. It is all wrapped in some kind of plastic covering. Don't see anything obvious either.

Any ideas?
keep checking wires... like with a multimeter, check voltages and grounds and connections, that will at least tell you if its a wiring or something els.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #3

User is: OffLine

i had the same problem with my 2000 s10 a while back i checked the whire from the fuse box back to the fire wall and found some exposed wires which where grounding out so i taped them real good and put back the plastic cover on and no problems since then
Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

Were working on it. My cousin who has an older s10 figured he would look at it and he put this machine on it to connect the circuit where the fuse was, and it doesn't do anything, which I guess means a very bad short?

I will keep looking. Anyone think it could be because of an after-market radio I installed a few weeks ago? Should I maybe pull it out and see if anything on it is grounding out and maybe causing the ecm fuse to go? Just a thought...I don't know much about electrical systems on cars, or well, on anything lol.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #5

yeah check that make sure no wires are grounded check motors ground wire
check all wires there is a short some where
Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #6

I am gonna find my DIM release for my radio and slide it out and see if there is anything there, hopefully its that, because that'd be a really easy fix!!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #7

Found some wires right under the oil cap that were fried so bad that the plastic around the wiring melted and they kinda stuck together. I taped them up and put them away from each other so we will see what happens when I put the new fuse in and try and start it up again.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #8

that would probably be it....let us know how it went
Old 10-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #9

Started right up. I just need to zip tie the wiring away from the heat now to ensure it doesn't happen again...
Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #10

congrats man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.