Any ways to quiet down a noisy lifter?? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Any ways to quiet down a noisy lifter??

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #1

Any ways to quiet down a noisy lifter??

Any at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
It's "Neanderthal"

User is: OffLine
Re: Any ways to quiet down a noisy lifter??

If it's sticking, some guys use ATF in the motor oil to free it up, then change the oil. (Use at your own risk)
I would pull the valve cover first to see if it wasn't a loose rocker, and just to see how dirty the top end is. If it's real dirty, any kind of cleaner can release oil passage clogging sludge. Just my .02 cents

Last edited by SH-60B; 03-06-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
YAMAHA

atf will work i kno plp that ran it in oil for a half hour and it stopped or id send the pistons strait through the hood then u gota build a bigger n better one
Old 03-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #4

If you only add a 1/2 qt to the engine and don't get crazy with it you will not have any problems. Just add the ATF and drive very gently with it. Then do the oil change. It is not rocket science.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

I've got an old 91 Jeep. The lifters rattled like hell when I got it. The 4.0L is famous for that. By replacing 1 of the 6 qts of oil with MMO that racket is gone. (Marvel Mystery Oil) Gramps says they used it in evrything in the army back in the day, and it works like a charm.

My 2.2 doesn't make any noise, but if it did I wouldn't think twice about adding it to the crankcase.

Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Lifts are for 4wds!

I don't see why adding ATF would blow up a motor...

MMO is good stuff however.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
I don't see why adding ATF would blow up a motor...
Your right it won't, unless there was a problem to begin with. It is a very good detergent and cleans great.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #8

^ a lot of people use a qt of atf instead of oil when they first get a vehicle without knowing the oil change history. It has better detergents in it than oil, a bit harsher so it cleans very well. I would not recommend doing it more than once or twice in your vehicles life, because it is harsher but just once will clean it good and no harm done.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #9

if not mistaken,use seafoam for sticky lifters and rings when added to crankcase will clean dirty parts too.1 1/2 oz. per quart of oil.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
2001 S-Dime

u can also try Slick 50....i used that in my 305 i had in my old silverado....lifter was too far gone but it did quiet it up for a period of time....seafoam works.....good luck tho
Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #11
Ted

Yes, the magic elixi's are good, I use mavel mystery oil. But I have had several of these vehicles that ticked, on the duke I took apart the roller lifters and cleaned them internally one by one, they sure had gunk in them. On another, I found the previous owner had pushrods the wrong length by aprox. 3/16" and was "adjusting" the lifters by leaving the stop bolts on the rockers loose! Iknow this is late, but may help in the future?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
Better post-em.

User is: Online

Quote: Originally Posted by Levinz11
I've got an old 91 Jeep. The lifters rattled like hell when I got it. The 4.0L is famous for that. By replacing 1 of the 6 qts of oil with MMO that racket is gone. (Marvel Mystery Oil) Gramps says they used it in evrything in the army back in the day, and it works like a charm.

My 2.2 doesn't make any noise, but if it did I wouldn't think twice about adding it to the crankcase.

Good Luck!
hmm did the jeeps ever quiet down before you put the MMO in it?

my truck before its warmed up and the oil thin their all chattering making a heck of a noise till the engines warmed up then its quiet as can be. would MMO help this? its got 156K miles on it and would like to see it last as long as possible (at least another 2 years min lol)

i have run seafoam thru the crankcase about once a year or so for the last 3 years and it doesnt seem to help anything. i think once we put a bottle of valvemedic in the crankcase as its supposed to clean out lifters and quiet chattering and it helped for about a week then right back to its chattering.

thursday ill pull the valve cover off and make sure there arent any loose rockers and see whats going on up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.