ABS light comes on at high speed! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

ABS light comes on at high speed!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
ABS light comes on at high speed!

I have a 96 S-10 with a 2.2L and 5 speed. I know some of hte S-10's had wheel speed sensors on all four wheels, and some only on the back. Anyways, when I get on the highway, my ABS light always comes on. It doesn't do it in town. Only when I get up around 55 or 60mph. I stays on after that until I start the truck again. My guess would be a wheel speed sensor. Any ideas? How can I troubleshoot this? Thanks! Matt
Old 04-23-2004, 11:13 PM   #2

Re: ABS light comes on at high speed!

your S10 only has wheel speed sensors in the front, not the back. It uses the speedo signal to determin the rear wheel speed. Check for loss or bad wheel bearings in the front or get the codes to see which srnsor is giving the false signal
Old 04-23-2004, 11:18 PM   #3
Pressurized 2.2 Member

the sensor for wheel speed is in the trans to tell the truck how fast your going your wheel sensors take that signal and compare it to how fast your going and tell the abs system to jump into action if something is not right. there is a sensor on both front and one singal for the back wheels. You have a sensor failing or it may just be off center and is wobbling at those speeds. Check the codes and I bet its a sensor.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:33 AM   #4

my dads 2000 s just had same problem. they hooked it up to a scanner at the dealer and it said it was the rear speed sensor(not the vehicle speed sensor,the abs sensor). it was reading a small difference. they ended up running a couple of tests on it,and determined it to be the pcm. his truck was out of warranty, but because it is emission related item, it was covered still. just something to check
Old 04-24-2004, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by 2000 s-10zq8
my dads 2000 s just had same problem. they hooked it up to a scanner at the dealer and it said it was the rear speed sensor(not the vehicle speed sensor,the abs sensor). it was reading a small difference. they ended up running a couple of tests on it,and determined it to be the pcm. his truck was out of warranty, but because it is emission related item, it was covered still. just something to check

It was the speed sensor for the speedometer. They have no seperate one for the ABS in S10's. The ECM sends the a signal to the ABS control to tell it how fast the rear wheels are turning. Look under you truck, there are not wires going to the rear end or driveshaft. There is a sensor is located in the side of the transmission, this is the one that the ECM uses on S10's to determine, the speed. By knowing the tire diameter and rear end ratio, it calculates, the rotational speed of the wheel and sends that signal to the ABS. If you had rear wheel speed sensors, your ABS light wouldn't come on, when you change rear end gear ratios, only your speedomter, would be off. It does come on. The only rear wheel drive vehicles, that have rear wheel speed sensors are ones that have traction control or true 4 channel ABS and those vehicles have seperate line lines to each side of the rear axle. S10's never had either of these options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.