98 S10 2.2 Motor Rebuild ???? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

98 S10 2.2 Motor Rebuild ????

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #1

98 S10 2.2 Motor Rebuild ????

Getting ready to rebuild my motor on my s10 have 94k miles on it and been leaking oil and has coolant in oil (kinda like chocolate milk color) so I decided I'm gunna pull motor and just rebuild it, looking for info as for what to replace while rebuilding it, what's better to buy etc. Etc. Just looking for more info to buy for rebuild...
Gunna do cavi intake manifold
P&P head, and mill it some
Maybe do a reground cam
Roller rockers
New push rods/ springs (havnet found aftermarket ones)
New valves/ guides
New pistons/bearing
Re use rods
Want after market high volume oil pump
Looking for a reliable dd with great gas mileage, but can't find were to buy these parts at or even prices, and looking for more info on parts etc. Etc.
Thnaks
Richard
Also I did search but found very lil info on what all I should replace or buy what re building
Old 04-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

Re: 98 S10 2.2 Motor Rebuild ????

To get great gas mileage , keeping the truck close to stock is your goal. Minus a few things like air intake, exhaust, etc..... as for parts, there are a ton of different websites that carry rebuild parts I will post a few links below

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog...TOKEN=27451721

http://www.stsperformance.com/22performance.htm

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...2l_engine.aspx
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

I know I'm gunna do pulleys, fan, intake, headers, coilpacks, wired, plugs, but thought by p&p and cam would help motor breathe better thus gaining power and mpg?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

Thats debateable there, depends on what profile cam you go with. Most of my experience with cams comes with the V8 chevy motor and im not as fimiliar with the cams for these little tu tu's. If this is a daily driver I would stay close to stock, considering the way gas prices are going through the roof. I run highergrade ethanol in mine mostly now. Its a flex fuel. and its 100 percent stock. My daily driver. If I were to have the money, and wanted more horsepower, i would just run a V8, but with this being said it would not be a daily driver. The choice is yours, Thos parts you mentioned above seem to work great on these little tu tu's. I am considering the throttle body swap myself along with the E fan, There should be plenty of post's on cam's and what i call Hot Rodding.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
i saw what you did there!

User is: OffLine

doing the things you plan on doing in order to increase air flow is going to also increase fuel useage

so......

in order to keep fuel mileage good you need to keep it close to factory as possible

and rebuilding a 2.2L just to keep it factory is not gonna be very cost effective but i guess should be less cost than a brand new one from GM

so hmm..

if it were mine i would go with a good used engine from a yard, you can find lower miles ones for less $ than youll spend on parts and machine shop labor to rebuild your blown one, in which i wouldnt trust very must with it having oil and water mixed

thats a real bad sign and a real bad starting point..
overheating, and or cracked parts and so on...

have fun!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #6

Well from everything I've read so far I'm gunna rebuild to stock and do bolt ons etc. But gunna pull motor aprt and have head checked for cracks and if its warped than kinda go from there.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.