'98 2.2 will start and run, but won't STAY running... HELP!!! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

'98 2.2 will start and run, but won't STAY running... HELP!!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
**** Rhode Island!!!

User is: OffLine
Angry '98 2.2 will start and run, but won't STAY running... HELP!!!

Hey guys, having a major issue with my truck. For the last 3 weeks, it has a problem of starting and running for god knows how long before it stalls right out. When it runs, it runs fine. BUT it seems to be when it gets to a certain temp it dies right out. I have full power at everything, but the engine dies right out on me while running and driving.

I've replaced the fuel filter thinking it might have been clogged with shit, that didn't do it. I replaced a snapped-in-half crankshaft position sensor, and that didn't do it. I replaced a $250 Ignition Contorl Module and that STILL didn't do it. So now I am stuck with a truck that I not only have to still pay on (thankfully only got $1k left to go...), but can't drive because the damn thing won't stay running. The only thing MAJOR left to change is the PCM... And not even sure if that is the problem or not...

So if any of you guys have had this problem with youd 2.2, I'd like to know what it is so I can drive my truck again. Because being stuck at home staring at the same 4 walls is very dangerous to one's sanity! Like always, help is always greatly welcomed and well needed right now. I'm already $1000 in the hole because of this truck (mainly the suspension job I JUST had done, BUT...) and can't afford to keep "trying this" and "trying that" and hoping that solves it... So out of sheer desperation, HELP ME OUT, PLEASE!!!

Thanks a million, as always,
Josh in RI
Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Can I get a hot tub?

Re: '98 2.2 will start and run, but won't STAY running... HELP!!!

i would recommend taking a look through my thread for things to test. people have helped me there, but i'm still having no luck getting it started.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/l...-start-413106/

i also had to get a new ignition module, and said screw $250 since i just put a fuel pump in mine. got the module for $40 on eBay an I have good spark now.

plus i busted my ass for a month and a half in the hot summer baggin my truck, only to have this problem with less than 1k miles on the bags
Old 09-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
keepin it freshhh

are you getting any codes josh
Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
**** Rhode Island!!!

No nothing at all code wise, which is the odd part... It had one for the crankshaft sensor, but was replaced and still stalls out. and so far everyone I talk to about this issue is just as stumped as I am on it. Like I said, the only thing left to replace is the PCM, and right now I just don't have the $2change to replace it. so still stumped at stuck at the house going on 3 weeks.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #5

have you checked the fuel PUMP? are you getting voltage to that? try it and see if you're getting voltage to it.

also check your battery cables. they sometimes corrode and cause intermittent issues.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
keepin it freshhh

doesnt sound like a fuel pump issue to me.

ecm's arent that expensive. i think wait4meperformance does turning, and will send u a new s10 ecm tuned for 200$ish
Old 09-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #7

spareecm on ebay has em for less than $200 you have to tell him what your engine/trans, and year is and he'll get you the right one.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
Can I get a hot tub?

one thing i ran across in all my searching about my truck's problem, was that the crankshaft sensor can't just be replaced. someone had mention it had to be hooked up at the dealer to a do a "relearn". essentially so that the sensor can know exactly what mark is zero or whatever. i don't know how valid it is, but it sounds interesting. cause the sensor could be off some causing bad timing, since the PCM relies on that sensor.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #9

I recently replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor on my 2.2 and it ran fine, with no other adjustment.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #10

What about your fuel pressure? Is it to spec?
Spareecm has ecm's for $65. He will set 'em up for your truck....I THINK the relearn deal after install is for the knock sensors to calibrate to protect the engine. But it should run normally without that. You can e mail him from his e bay site to ask.
Good luck......Pete
Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
**** Rhode Island!!!

kay fellas... Let me bounce this idea off you really quick and see what you think...

Like I mentioned, I had the fuel pump replaced less than 10 months ago. Reason it was replaced was because it was run out of gas, and because the pump got so hot, it fried out and hence the replacement. I had just spoken to a dealer mechanic and he told me that it could be the pump because if it heats up enough, it'll die out, not sending fuel to the pressure reg, and so on. Which seems very logical to me, seeings how the one I replaced was no good due to excessive heat-up from no fuel in the tank. And when the suspension was done, they ran the truck out of fuel again.

So my theory and question is this: If this is the case, how likely is it that this problem is the fuel pump and NOT the PCM... The pump will start and run fine for about 10 min, then the whole thing (the truck...) dies out. Which in practicality, means the pump is heating up too much and fries out causing the stall out. Does this make sense to anyone else, or am I on the virge of losing my head now??? And if it DOES make sense, should I go after the shop that did the work to bite the bullet on another fuel pump and labor since THEY ****ed it up???

I'd like to know what you guys think about this... It makes a lot of sense to me, but want other S10 guys to vouch with me on this before I go ape-shit on the shop for blowing up my fuel pump...

Thanks again, Josh
Old 09-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
keepin it freshhh

i think your fuel pump is fine.

after it dies, try restarting it and listen for the fuel pump to come on. it will make a buzzing sound when you trun the key forward. if it comes on, the fuel pump is not your issue.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #13

right now i agree with the other guys that one time run out of fuel isn't going to burn it up.but you'll have to test power and listen to pump immediately after next shutdown to determine state of pump so you can eliminate it from the equation.i really don't think ecm is bad but maybe last resort,also since you and the other member posting here dropped the bags could it be hitting the fuel power lines or could the fuel lines be deteriorating from inside somewhere causing a restriction.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by Josh in RI
kay fellas... Let me bounce this idea off you really quick and see what you think...

Like I mentioned, I had the fuel pump replaced less than 10 months ago. Reason it was replaced was because it was run out of gas, and because the pump got so hot, it fried out and hence the replacement. I had just spoken to a dealer mechanic and he told me that it could be the pump because if it heats up enough, it'll die out, not sending fuel to the pressure reg, and so on. Which seems very logical to me, seeings how the one I replaced was no good due to excessive heat-up from no fuel in the tank. And when the suspension was done, they ran the truck out of fuel again.

So my theory and question is this: If this is the case, how likely is it that this problem is the fuel pump and NOT the PCM... The pump will start and run fine for about 10 min, then the whole thing (the truck...) dies out. Which in practicality, means the pump is heating up too much and fries out causing the stall out. Does this make sense to anyone else, or am I on the virge of losing my head now??? And if it DOES make sense, should I go after the shop that did the work to bite the bullet on another fuel pump and labor since THEY ****ed it up???

I'd like to know what you guys think about this... It makes a lot of sense to me, but want other S10 guys to vouch with me on this before I go ape-shit on the shop for blowing up my fuel pump...

Thanks again, Josh
So what brand fuel pump did you put in the truck?, or where did the fuel pump come from?.
And what did you do take the truck to them with hardly anything in it? I have never heard/ or seen a fuel pump burn out just from running it out of fuel one time. what does it do now? fuel pump not cycle at all? no fuel pressure at the rail? can you hear it at all? check grounds or relay?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by Josh in RI
Hey guys, having a major issue with my truck. For the last 3 weeks, it has a problem of starting and running for god knows how long before it stalls right out. When it runs, it runs fine. BUT it seems to be when it gets to a certain temp it dies right out. I have full power at everything, but the engine dies right out on me while running and driving.

I've replaced the fuel filter thinking it might have been clogged with shit, that didn't do it. I replaced a snapped-in-half crankshaft position sensor, and that didn't do it. I replaced a $250 Ignition Contorl Module and that STILL didn't do it. So now I am stuck with a truck that I not only have to still pay on (thankfully only got $1k left to go...), but can't drive because the damn thing won't stay running. The only thing MAJOR left to change is the PCM... And not even sure if that is the problem or not...

So if any of you guys have had this problem with youd 2.2, I'd like to know what it is so I can drive my truck again. Because being stuck at home staring at the same 4 walls is very dangerous to one's sanity! Like always, help is always greatly welcomed and well needed right now. I'm already $1000 in the hole because of this truck (mainly the suspension job I JUST had done, BUT...) and can't afford to keep "trying this" and "trying that" and hoping that solves it... So out of sheer desperation, HELP ME OUT, PLEASE!!!

Thanks a million, as always,
Josh in RI
I would start with testing fuel pressure. cycle ignition twice and see what reading is with ignition on, does pressure drop at all with ignition on?
with the truck running see what it reads, pull the vacuum line off fuel pressure regulator and see what the pressure does?
does pressure drop off when accelerating or cornering?

I would take it to someone who has a good scanner, i would be curious to know what coolant temp sensor was seeing at different times, like when it has hard start or what it reads when truck shuts off. another thing with a good scanner when it shuts down normally it will freeze frame data and you can see what was going on
Old 09-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #16

last question for right now,
when you took the truck in it ran fine correct?
once you got the truck back how long after leaving there shop did it act up?
when it was at the shop what EXACTLY were they doing?
and did they have to pull the fuel tank or pull the bed off?
Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #17

I read your other post in another thread...
So other than the cat, I replaced the fuel filter, pump was replaced less than 9 months ago (still primes and turns on...), not press. reg because it has consistant pressure even after stalling out (between 36 -46 lbs, 46 lbs under throttle...), and it's NOT the crankshaft sensor nor the Ignition control module...

Disconnect the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator.
With the engine idling, apply 41-47 kPa (12-14 in. Hg) of vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator.
Is the fuel pressure within the specified limits and remain constant?214-303 kPa (31-44 psi)
If yes,Locate and repair the loss of vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator.
If no,Replace the fuel pressure regulator.

Last edited by Blownexploder94; 09-26-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
**** Rhode Island!!!

Angry Re: '98 2.2 will start and run, but won't STAY running... HELP!!!

I went outside to start and run it until it stalled out, and it didn't do it this time... Sometimes it'll run for 45 min. before it stalls out. And I was wble to read some of the posts since I last posted... I can say this much

-NOT the fuel pump (pump turns on and runs...)
-NOT the pressure regulator (holds consistant pressure even AFTER stalling out...)
-NOT Ignition Control Module (brand new)
-NOT Crankshaft Position Sensor (brand new)
-NOT Clogged Cat Converter (plenty of pressure coming out of tailpipe...)

In addition, I went to start it today, and the "security" light came on for the first time EVER... I tried to start it, it ran for about 2 seconds and shut right off. So, I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds, re-connected and re started the truck, and same as usual. Didn't stall out this time. Again, sometimes it won't stall until maybe 10 mins., maybe 1/2 hour, hour... There is no way of knowing how long it'll stay running for before it dies...

In response to "blownexploder94", the last pump was gotten off ebay new, because I couldn't afford the $300 AutoZone wanted for it, and the $5something the dealer wanted... All the wiring is fine, and not sure if they took the bed off to change it or not. Doesn't look like it, but could have... Again, not the pressure regulator because it holds between 36-46 lbs of pressure EVEN WHEN IT STALLS OUT... Yes, when I took it to the shop to get worked on, it ran fine. It went in for a complete suspension (upper and lower control arm bushings, Upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends w/ boots, swaybar end links and bushings, tranny mount, rear leaf spring & shackle bushings, new rear shackles, front and rear shocks, centr link and idler arm)... They asked me about talking the bed off, but did not. I swapped the bed AFTER I got it back from them, and they did not unbolt the bed. Once I got the truck back, it ran fine all day that thursday. The following friday is when it started acting up badly. So as far as I can see, they had no reason to pull the bed or drop the tank. And I could tell because nothing there was touched...

All I know is I'm getting ready to yank the f*cking 4-cyl out and start looking for a 305TPI or an LT1 and matching 6-speed - Especially for that damn "security" bullshit... Or either that sell the ****ing thing and get it paid off in full finally... I'm just so sick of having to deal with this kinda bullshit.

Will keep you all updated...
Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #19

when you test your pump make sure you test pressure and volume you can have pressure and no volume and it will throw you off everytime this is something like my truck was doing....I kept telling everyone the fuel pump is great till my buddy came over with his tester which could also test volume and made me look like a idiot....Good luck
Old 09-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #20

ah well maybe that is the answer to your problem and changing the motor will not effect that passlock security system. I think you should go to a place that sells car alarms and get a bypass module for it.

our trucks use s magnet in the plastic head of the key to detect if the key is a real key or someone is trying to hotwire the car. if you attempt to start it without the proper key this system will shut the engine off. when this happens is the only time that i know of that you will see the security light turn on on the dash. mine has come on before

I have one of these modules installed in my truck for the remote start system that is wired to my alarm. what happens is when my alarm is armed it turns on the module bypassing the factory security system so i can then remote start the engine. however when my alarm is disarmed the passlock system is active, if i attempt to remote start my truck witch i can do because my remote start system is a home made system i wired myself using a diagram off the net, what happens is the motor starts briefly and then the passlock system shuts it off

your system might be malfunctioning and turning off your motor!

Last edited by dmax; 09-28-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #21
Can I get a hot tub?

well i would say keep doing diagnostic testing before buying anymore parts.

-compression test
-check coils for primary and secondary resistance
-make sure wires are good
-make sure plugs are good and gapped correctly.
-find someone with a good scanner that monitors engine activity, that should pinpoint your exact problem
Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #22
**** Rhode Island!!!

Okay guys, got another hypothesis to bounce off you's... Tell me what you think...

I was outside today for an hour and a half letting the truck run. I was able to take it on 2 short trips around the block with no issue, and letting it run at idle was no issue either. Once it finally stalled out, I decided to check the casing temp on the PCM. Upon doing so, I noticed that the thing is SEVERELY HOT... Any hotter and I'd have gotten burnt off touching the casing... So that is where my next question or questions come into play...

1.) I know the PCM should get warm, NOT hot enough to burn yourself off of - am I correct?
2.) Because it IS a temperature related thing, Is it possible that the PCM IS malfunctioning because of the amount of heat it's creating???
3.) if it IS because the heat is killing the PCM, any suggestions after this as far as cooling it, or anything else?
4.) has anyone else had this issue with thier 2.2 w/ the PCM getting this hot and shutting the truck down?

Thgis is the latest discovery as to why I think it's consistantley stalling out... Let me know what you think...

Thanks as always!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #23

are all the grounds on tight and clean
Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #24
Can I get a hot tub?

wow that doesn't sound too good. once i get mine running i can check to see how hot it gets, but i can't imagine it's supposed to get hotter than the underhood temp.

do you know anyone with the same truck as you to swap PCM's with. that would be the cheap way to rule that out.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #25

well i just checked the temp of my ECU for you but mind you i dont drive my truck very far that often so it was just from work to home about a 10 min drive and my ecu is very warm but not hot enough that i cant keep my hand on it. i'm sure driving it for more than an hour would make it quite a bit hotter than it was though so its not a great indicator.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #26
**** Rhode Island!!!

I find that a little hard to believe... I know a few otheres around me with 4 cyl. S10's, and the ECM does get warm, but NOT hot to the point where I could burn myself on it... I asked a few others about the problem I'm having, and one said that it could be the ignition (key) switch, in combination of the PCM and the security module not reading and acting correctly. How possible could that be???

I ordered a new PCM from spareecm on ebay and should have it soon. Will be removing and replacing the PCM and seeing if that is the problem. I'll know once I swap PCM's if that IS the problem or not... But that is the ONLY MAJOR thing I've got left to replace and hope it solves it. Otherwise, I'm stuck until the end of January next year to get the thing in a shop and looked at, let alone fixed...

Will let you know how I make out after I swap the PCM...

Josh
Old 10-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #27
**** Rhode Island!!!

Hey Guys, Got BIG news!!!

Bought the new PCM from spareecm on Ebay. The new one showed up Tues during a test run. It ran from 11am to just after 2pm. After the mailman showed up with the new PCM, I checked the casing on the existing one and it was red hot again. Took it for a short ride around the block and got stuck like always.

After stalling out and getting on the side of the road, I swapped the PCM on the spot. Once it was connected, it fired right over, and have had NO ISSUES since!!! So let this be a heads up for everyone... If it does the same thing as mine did, check the casing of the PCM after it's run for a while and is at normal operating temp. If there's an INTERNAL problem with the PCM, it WILL get red hot and fry out causing the truck to die out.

I knew it had to be something soooooo stupid...

Thanks everyone for the help and insight... Always well needed and put to good use!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #28

congrats, glad you got it fixed
Old 11-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #29

My 97 is doing this also. I initially thought it was the fuel pump as this is what I was told. After replacing two of them obviously that's not it.

It was doing it quite often in the summer time and was completely random. It could run for 2 hours or 10 minutes. It hadn't done it for nearly two months until yesterday.

Every single time I let it completely cool it starts right up? I am thinking I will try a new pcm also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.