96 2.2 with no Spark in 97 S10 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

96 2.2 with no Spark in 97 S10

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

96 2.2 with no Spark in 97 S10

Hello and thanks for any help in advance.
Put used 96 2.2 in my 97.
Will not start.
Does not have spark to any Spark Plug.
The Crank Position Sensor had 3 wires on the 96 and 2 on the 97.
Replaced the 96 with the 97 so it work with the 97 wiring.
Will the 2 wire Crank Sensor work in t motor that used a 3 wire sensor?
What Should I check next.
Again Thanks for any help
Mark
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Dr. Mike

User is: OffLine
Re: 96 2.2 with no Spark in 97 S10

I believe the CKP and IGN Module are in sync... so you would have to either use the 96 CKPS w/ wiring and IGN M. or the 97 CKPS, wiring and Module.

The IGN M. Board gets signal directly from the CKP and says ..... "ok FIRE"

Hope this helps
Dr. Mike
Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 AM   #3

I agree with Dr. Mike. Did you check to see if the coil packs have the same part numbers for those two years? If not, you will have to change those out also. Between 96 and 98, GM made a bunch of changes to the electrical systems, sensors and the like until they finally settled on a standard for a few years. Make sure all the wires that run to your crank position sensor, cam sensor and coil packs have pins to plug into. If you have 3 wires running to a sensor, but it only has 2 pins in the female end, something isn't right....
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #4

Danny,
The Coil Packs are the same part number.
I replaced the CKP last night with a new one, no spark.
I will check all the Plugs to see there is the same number of connections on the male and female parts of the connectors.
If nothing is different then I will put the Original Coil pack back in .
My concern is if the 96 and 97 CKP's have a totally different plug (3 wire vs 2 wire) that maybe the Crank encoding is different between the 2 years.
If the new CKP and Different/oirgnal Coil Pack do not fix the no spark problem what would be the next step?
Thanks again
Mark
Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #5

Check the resistance of the coil packs. I believe you can find the info on that in either a Chilton or Haynes manual. That's how I found out my packs were shot.

The wire difference is not major. Two of the wires would be voltage in and voltage out. The third is just a ground wire. The cranks should be the same as far as notches and construction. 96-97 cranks were the same and changed in 98.

I assume you've either put a spark plug into the plug wire and laid it on the block or are using a spark tester. If so, and still nothing, check for disconnected ground wires coming from the main harness. There should be about 3 on the passenger side of the motor and 2 on the driver side. All of these grounds are up towards the bottom front of the block. Make sure they are clean and tight, and that they are touching bare metal.

If still no spark, you need to isolate the pulse wire coming from the computer to the coil pack. For that you'll need wiring diagrams from a DIY manual like I mentioned above. Check for the correct voltage.

I am assuming you understand the whole process for generating spark. If not, and for others, here it is. The crank spins. When it gets to the desired compression position (typically slightly before reaching top dead center (TDC)) the CKP "sees" the notch in the crank magnetically, and shoots that signal to the computer. The computer then figures if it needs to fire now, or a few milliseconds later depending on fuel mix and all the other readings from other sensors (ignition timing advance or retard). Once ready, the computer will give a pulse signal to the coil pack for that specific cylinder, and the coil will fire the plug. This all happens in a few milliseconds! So, if even one thing is off, not plugged in all the way, or messed up, you will get a no spark situation. All you can really do is slowly trace the steps (in reverse order from the plug back to the computer) until you find the problem. Just buying and replacing crap doesn't work unless you've got tons of money.

Other possibilities include a shorted out wire in the harness (or a chewed up one, I've seen mice EAT hundreds of feet of wire in an engine bay!), faulty computer, weak coil packs, old plugs and/or plug wires, too large of a gap in the spark plug, bad grounds, dirty spark plug hole threads (which prevent the spark plug from making a complete circuit, thereby giving you no spark), faulty crank position sensor/cam position sensor, the list goes on. As you can see, this is no fun task to diagnose. But if you've got patience, a good multi-meter, and a manual, its possible. Good luck! You're gonna need it.

Last edited by Danny R; 06-23-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #6

Thanks Danny
Mark
Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Dr. Mike

Quote: Originally Posted by Danny R

If still no spark, you need to isolate the pulse wire coming from the computer to the coil pack. For that you'll need wiring diagrams from a DIY manual like I mentioned above. Check for the correct voltage.

I am assuming you understand the whole process for generating spark. If not, and for others, here it is. The crank spins. When it gets to the desired compression position (typically slightly before reaching top dead center (TDC)) the CKP "sees" the notch in the crank magnetically, and shoots that signal to the computer. The computer then figures if it needs to fire now, or a few milliseconds later depending on fuel mix and all the other readings from other sensors (ignition timing advance or retard). Once ready, the computer will give a pulse signal to the coil pack for that specific cylinder, and the coil will fire the plug. This all happens in a few milliseconds! So, if even one thing is off, not plugged in all the way, or messed up, you will get a no spark situation. All you can really do is slowly trace the steps (in reverse order from the plug back to the computer) until you find the problem. Just buying and replacing crap doesn't work unless you've got tons of money.

Thank you for elaborating
Old 06-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #8

To wrap this up.
I put the original Coil Pack that was on the 97 2.2 and put it on the 96 and it fired right up.
I am a happy camper and thanks to all for your help.
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.