5th gear pop out - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

5th gear pop out

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
keepin it freshhh

User is: OffLine
5th gear pop out

every once of a while, the tranny will pop out of 5th gear. i'll be on the highway and take my foot of the gas and let it coast, and it will pop out of 5th. only happens once or twice a month if that.

it seems to happen most when i am driving above 75 mph, and take my foot off the gas.

also, the shifter sometimes vibrates or gives me a little feedback when i put it in 5th. only sometimes.

all the other gears are sweet. clutch grabs fine and is not sloppy at all.

any ideas???
Old 12-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
I'm slap happy, bitches!

Re: 5th gear pop out

if its 2wd, the nut came lose, and you have axial end play from going to loaded/ coast. it makes the geartrain walk forward, thats why you pop it out of gear, 5 gear is in the front of the 5th reverse assembly, when you let off gas, the geartrain walks forward, making the gear teeth move away from the sliding hub which keeps it engaged. unfortunately, you have to take the unit apart to tighten this nut, and while you are there, you might as well give it a freshen up.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
got me some 20s

mine does the same thing..but its every time im on the interstate and let off the gas to coast..only in 5th gear too..does it hurt anything? im used to it so if it doesn't im not worrying with it
Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
keepin it freshhh

thank you. do you have any idea of what this would cost to have it repaired??
Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Rarely goes over 20mph

if your having a dealership, $500 sounds easy, it costed me $250 to have some hoses behind the heater switch on the dash replaced, they whistled after being replaced though, and to have my egr replaced

another $200 to have my ignition module replaced

things i couldve done myself super easy but didnt know what the fixes to the problems were at that time
Old 12-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #6

I was told this is either the shift fork is bent or the syncronizers (sp.) are going out. Mine started slowly only once in a while but has gotten worse and now third gear is hard to get it into sometimes. I am going to get mine fixed after the first of the year and I will post back what is fully costs. I think I am going to go get it quoted tomorrow if I have time.
I have been putting it off for a while. By the way mine is a 97 S10 2.2L 5spd.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
keepin it freshhh

yeah sometimes 1st and 2nd are tough on my tranny but i havent had too much experience wit hdifferent manual trannys
Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
Works too much!

I have a 97 2.2 5 speed tranny if someone needs it. It has about 120,000 miles. I have no use for it but it works like a charm. PM me if interested.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #9

Alright I forgot to post back. So here is the deal I took mine to a Trans. shop today and this is what he said.
1. Could be the blocking rings. $250 -$600 out the door.
2. Could be the syncronizers (sp.). Up to $1100.

He said Manuals are hard to diagnose, so the charge $112.50 to take out the Transmission then tear it apart and the call with the problem and final price.
He also said if I bring him a transmission he will pull the old one and put in the new one for $250 out the door.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Works too much!

I still have mine if u need it.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
ohhhh yeahhhhh

i was gonna say syncros. did that on an ex of mines honda. in 5th gear it would pop out no other gear, and it was the syncrhos, over a g to get a used tranni into it. good luck with it
Old 12-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
keepin it freshhh

fock lol. i'll just drive it like this and always keep a little pedal in it in 5th. i dont beat on it (all the time lol) so hopefully she'll stay alive.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #13

Mine has been doing it for a while has gotten a little worse and I will do something about it whe the money is right. Or I find a cheap local transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.