2002 P0440 vacuum leak from throttle body - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2002 P0440 vacuum leak from throttle body

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

2002 P0440 vacuum leak from throttle body

2002 chevy s10 2wd 2.2L

Hello I my truck has the trouble code P0440 and I believe it is being caused by a vacuum leak. I discovered the vacuum lines coming off the throttle body to be cracked and one to have been competely broke in half. I bought new lines and replaced them but the line that was broken in half could not be found. It now has a screw in it to plug the hose without the screw I can not change my heating/cooling vents they simply blow straight out of the dash. I would like to know where this hose goes. The vacuum line comes off the throttle body to the driver side to a "T" and splits.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Registered Un-dependent

Re: 2002 P0440 vacuum leak from throttle body

there is a vacuum tank in the driver side fender, the other hose from the T goes under the ABS, hard to see but if you feel around you'll find it...common problem, happened on all 3 of mine
Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the help so far although I can not seem to find anything in the fender. You said to feel around but there isn't much room to actually get my hand anywhere. I attached a picture I don't know if that would help or not.

2002 P0440 vacuum leak from throttle body-vacuumline.jpg
Old 04-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Un-dependent

Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by Mechnix
Did ryanw55 ever figure out where this vacuum hose went? I've read this discussion and looked at both posted photos and haven't figured it out yet. Have the very same problem -- cut off or broken hose and absolutely no sign where it went. In the attached photo, it's the hose that goes off at the top of the photo -- looks like it goes under the ABS mount, but I can find nothing there. Thanks --RJ--

Last edited by Lokomac; 02-28-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Refernced wrong poster.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Registered Un-dependent

here's some pics to help
the nipple

space in fender

backside of canister

this is a 4.3 but the vac canister is the same
Old 03-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #7

Thumbs up Re: 2002 P0440 vacuum leak from throttle body

Quote: Originally Posted by Mechnix
here's some pics to help
the nipple . . .
I kept feeling around and finally found it yesterday. It was very close to the bottom of the bolt on the ABS mount and I had been felling the nipple all along -- mistook it for the end of another "bolt." I didn't have a mirror and wish that I had thought to use my camera to "see" under there. I bet that hose has been off for about four years and it explains why my A/C wouldn't go to the defrost vents and why sometimes it would alternate between the defrost vents and the dash outlets on it's own accord, but usually when I gave it the gas.

Your help is VERY appreciated and the additional photos make it clear for anyone else puzzled by this problem. Now that I know, of course, your first photo in the thread makes all the sense in the world, but before I found that nipple under there, it didn't.

Thanks again. I have a '99 S-10 and I used the engine, tranny and rear end from the '96 I drove for years in my 1936 Chevy Std. Coach -- so that S-10 lives on as well and this forum will be a big help. --RJ--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.