2000 S10 running very rough - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2000 S10 running very rough

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #1

2000 S10 running very rough

I'm working on a 2000 Chevy S10, with the 2.2L engine. It's not my pickup, it's a friend of the families. Had to go rescue it from the side of the road this morning. It's missing horribly. Sounds like it's running (barely) on 2 cylinders. So we loaded it up on the flat bed and brought it to the shop.

Ran a scan, with 2 error codes: P0200 and P0300 - Semi-dismissed the injection circuit error, hoping the magical gnomes might fix that so I didn't have to, and cleared the codes.

Checked the typical things, spark plugs, wires, etc. Replaced them as they were well overdue. Fired it up, and the problem persisted. So got to work doing a few other tests. Checked the injection circuits with a noid light test, and there is signal. Checked compression, each cylinder is at about 145lbs dry test @ WOT. A little on the low side, but I suspect I've washed the cylinders a bit with other tests. I haven't done a wet test yet. I have verified that the spark plug wires are indeed in the correct order as well. Checked spark, and the spark is very hot.

Haven't spent a ton of time on this truck as of yet. Wanted to ask others opinions that have more experience with this engine/truck than I do before I jump to conclusions and start ripping into it without prejudice. I did notice when I pulled the plugs for the compression test that the plugs were wet. Fuel + Spark + O2 = no boom?

Are there any particular areas I should look first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not afraid of turning a wrench or standing on my head to use a DVOM, etc. Just hoping to find a direction to start looking instead of going with the "Read, Fire, Aim" method.

EDIT: Oh yea, I did attempt at testing the resistance of the injectors. I tested #1 and #4 because they were relatively easy to get at. I was getting about 1.8ohms, which I figured can't be right. I believe I was on the wrong scale or inadvertently testing it correctly, and then got side tracked and forgot to resume testing.

Thanks guys (and gals?)!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

Re: 2000 S10 running very rough

No suggestions?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #3

Just as an update. Replaced injectors and fuel filter. Replaced plugs and wires. Same issue. Any suggestions?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
nva2low

User is: OffLine

Any oil in the anti freeze or vise versa...p0300 is a mis fire code..try replacing the plugs, wires and distributor rotor and cap, check timing, fuel pressure
Old 02-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #5

Compression checks out, no coolant in oil or oil in coolant. Plugs wires replaced. It's a distributorless ignition system and computer controlled timing. Fuel pressure is @ 44psi.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
nva2low

I think the fuel pressue should be at or around 60 if i recall, oh ya and yrs the 2.2 doesn't have a distributor, there's coil packs they do go bad
Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #7

Hot spark on all cylinders. Retested injection circuits with a noid test. #1 and #2 cylinders drivers are bad, or so it appears.

I ordered a reman brain for it today. See if that fixes the issue.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
Wild Sammich

What is the latest on this issue. Did the replacement brain solve the issue?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #9

I re-ran a noid test. Come to find out, the drivers were opening the injectors at the wrong times.

Replaced the brain, truck runs good again.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by slander
I re-ran a noid test. Come to find out, the drivers were opening the injectors at the wrong times.

Replaced the brain, truck runs good again.
okay so im typically having the same problem trucks running very rough and it has compression, spark and fuel now im thinking ICM is that the brain that your talking about or are you saying the actual ECM is the problem ive replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter pressure tested the fuel system holds pressure at 42psi this sounds just like the issue im having so just wanna be sure which brain before i go out and spend the money
Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by AudiKidWut
okay so im typically having the same problem trucks running very rough and it has compression, spark and fuel now im thinking ICM is that the brain that your talking about or are you saying the actual ECM is the problem ive replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter pressure tested the fuel system holds pressure at 42psi this sounds just like the issue im having so just wanna be sure which brain before i go out and spend the money
Under the hood, passenger side fender well. Right on top. A clamp holds it down, 2 bolts retain the plugs into the back of the computer.

However, I would suggest doing a noid test first.

I had flooding in #1 and #2 cylinders. Noid test at first (or so I thought) looked good. I retested the injection circuit, #1 and #2 were OPEN with key on, engine off, while the fuel pump was priming, and the injectors were staying open, only blinking while the engine was cranking due to the starter pulling juice away from the noid light.

I should have paid more attention to the noid test in the first place, that was my faul.

Run a scan on your pickup. See if you're getting a P0200 code, with is an injector circuit error.

Don't run out to your local auto parts store and pay 250+ for a new computer without doing some homework first.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #12

okay well im going to do a noid test today now im not having the p0200 code but i am getting the p0300 misfire code and im also getting a code for idle RPM too high
Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #13

Check and see if you have any vacuum leaks.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #14

Check and see if you have any vacuum leaks.
already smoke tested it and fixed any lines that were leaking
Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #15

What are ALL of the codes you're getting from the scan? List them all, don't leave any out even if you think it has nothing to do with your issue.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #16

What are ALL of the codes you're getting from the scan? List them all, don't leave any out even if you think it has nothing to do with your issue.
well the first codes i got as soon as the problem started were P0507 idle control system rpm too high and P0020 random misfire detected and by the way thanks for all your help
Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #17

This might help you out some. The link gives you some options on where to start looking.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0507

Now, you replaced plugs and wires? What else did you replace?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #18

This might help you out some. The link gives you some options on where to start looking.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0507

Now, you replaced plugs and wires? What else did you replace?
The iacv, fuel filter thats pretty much it so far im not one to keep throwing parts at my cars but im trying to diagnose it correctly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.