2000 S10 Oxygen Sensor Wiring - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2000 S10 Oxygen Sensor Wiring

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
2000 S10 Oxygen Sensor Wiring

I need help here, the fella who previously owned my truck attempted (plugs are missing from harness) to rewire an aftermarket (2-wire) Oxygen sensor on my '2000 2.2 S10.

The new O2 sensor is stock and has a black and gray wire. The main harness wires are brown and purple. How should I wire an oxygen sensor in properly? This is the upstream O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, the other is hooked up.

Like I said the wires were cut at the plug, and my SES is illuminated.

Can someone help me by looking under their S10 and tell me how its wired or with a pic or diagram of how to wire this O2 sensor in my '2000.

Last edited by Mr.C; 12-22-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #2

User is: Online
Re: 2000 S10 Oxygen Sensor Wiring

You might get more help in the 4 cyl forum.

Also you'll find that the only way to correctly determine the proper orientation is to take the sensor you have, the new one, and go to an unmodified 2.2 equipped 2nd gen S-10 and compare how it's supposed to be oriented.

The gray and white wires of the new sensor are an aftermarket deal, the OEM sensors use a different colour combination than that.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:10 AM   #3

Any one care to help me out. Just look and see what your wire colors are on each side of the plug. The colors of the wires on the o2 sensor are different than the wires harness wires.
Heres what I need, the purple harness wire goes to ? and the brown harness wire goes to ?.
It would take me a whole 30 seconds to look if I had a S10 here to compare. Anyone want to help me out??
Old 12-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
I Like Fire....HaHaHa

The purple wire is the sensor wire signaling the PCM to change parameter based on the O2's readings. The black is the ground. The black wire on the sensor will go to black. The grey wire on the sensor will go to purple.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
I Like Fire....HaHaHa

Sorry, Brown wire on sensor goes to black wire. Purple goes to grey
Old 12-23-2005, 10:23 AM   #6

Thanks man, I was getting ready to head to Wal Mart and start sliding under S10 trucks LOL.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
I Like Fire....HaHaHa

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.C
Thanks man, I was getting ready to head to Wal Mart and start sliding under S10 trucks LOL.
If anything, go to the website of the sensor's manufacturer to find out which one is the signaling wire. I know for certain that the purple wire on the truck is the truck's signaling wire. Or, call the local dealer and ask a tech real quick. Some times they are cool enough to give you the info. if you have problems, let me know, I'll call a friend at Firestone and get the insider scoop.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #8

I looked under a s10 at the car lot yesterday and for future reference the wiring is purple to black and brown to gray.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.C
I looked under a s10 at the car lot yesterday and for future reference the wiring is purple to black and brown to gray.
Although this seems to be opposite of what was indicated by someone in this thread, I wired mine like this (purple to black) and its working good so far. I'll post if I have any other trouble with this set up. When I unplugged the o2 to replace it, the wires ripped out leaving me no way to know which color went where so this can be a common problem. Thanks MR. C for help.

Also, to further indicate this is correct; We know the purple harness wire is signal, and according to NTK the maker of most of these o2 sensors as oem, the blk is signal. so yes the black on sensor should go to the purple on the harness, and the grey on sensor goes to the brown on harness.

Last edited by hotrodlincoln; 01-16-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
needs a cheeseburger

User is: Online

nice thread dig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.