2000 2.2L misfire NEED HELP! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2000 2.2L misfire NEED HELP!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Angry 2000 2.2L misfire NEED HELP!

I have a 2000 s10, 2.2 with 105xxx miles and it hasn't ran good since the day I bought it. It used to misfire only when I would first start it up and then disappear after a few minutes but the misfire wasn't constant. It would just miss once or twice every thirty seconds. So I replaced the coil packs, plugs, and wires with ac delco and it seemed to fix everything for about two months. So I trusted the truck enough to drive it from Michigan to Cali and it did great the whole way until I actually got here and now it's misfiring again.

Sometimes it's constant and sometimes it just misses a couple of times a min. It seemed like it only did it when it was humid out or raining but today it was dry and warm and it was misfirng really bad so I came home and let it sit for three hours and went outside to start it again and it runs perfect I figured if I waited till it was dark out I might be able to see it arc somewhere since I can here it arc when it does it's random miss, but like I said it's running perfect now. It doesn't always arc when it misfires so im stumped, I thought it might be the map sensor but im not sure. I know alot of other people have this problem but no one seems to know what it is, Can you help??????
Old 02-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
tu-tu guru

Re: 2000 2.2L misfire NEED HELP!

tps maybe...or a wire isnt seated all the way
Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
I want you to drag or die

if the ignition stuff is new start looking at the fuel system. Have you changed the fuel filter in a while? The injectors could be sticking and leaking.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #4

Well I figured it wasn't the fuel filter because if it was, wouldn't the misfire happen all the time? Thats what I thought about the injectors too but I guess it could be sticking but I have already had injector cleaner ran through it and it didn't help. I also checked the wire's and they seam ok and the plug wire's are seated.

Last edited by scrapinonbumps; 02-12-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
aka "Toe Guillotine"

i just got the exact same problem. the code showed that multiple cylinders are misfiring. the truck runs fine in idle and upto 2000 rmps and right after it starts bogging like crazy and i cant accelarate at ALL.....i changed out the filter and it didnt do shit. tmrw im gonna start with replacing all the wires but i kno its gonna be more then that since more then 1 just started misfiring out of no where
Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
aka "Toe Guillotine"

let me kno if u find out whats wrong cuz i got the exact same truck 2000 2.2 with the same exact milage
Old 02-13-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
has no indigoblue2kdime.

All i can say is best of wishes to you, i chased this problem on my 97 (with a 4.3) for quite some time and it was extremely frustrating... i feel like the injection system on the 2.2 isn't as complicated though.

Sounds like an injection problem to me though. My $.02 And if the injectors are bad enough i don't suspect the injector cleaner would do a whole lot.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:50 AM   #8

I might swap the injectors around to see if thats the problem but the other wierd thing is, I haven't had a code pop up. I checked it anyways and in the history it says misfire cylinder 1. Again, today it was running great and then when I went to get it smog tested the damn thing started misfiring like crazy and even stalled out during the test. Every time it misfired I heard an arc but I can't find any traces and it seems like every time it's dark out it doesn't misfire so I can't see it arc. The damn thing misfires at all rpm's so I don't know what the F@#!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
aka "Toe Guillotine"

my shit only starts misfiring after like 2000rmps. u kno what that could be?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by bagged420
my shit only starts misfiring after like 2000rmps. u kno what that could be?

What kind of spark plugs do you run and whens the last time you changed them. AC Delco seems to be the only ones that work good in the 2.2s. Since more than one cylinder is misfiring, I would check your coil packs because they work on a waste spark...
Old 02-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
aka "Toe Guillotine"

i had a tune up done about a month ago and they replaced them. i dont kno what kind they put in. im gonna try replacing the coil first and then goin for the coil pack
Old 02-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #12

Newbie here to the site, but not to s10's.
I'm running into the same problem w/ my 2.2 in a '94. I believe I have it narrowed down to the "Ignition Control Module", aka Coil Base Plate. This is the slim black box that your coils plug into and 2 wire harnesses plug into. I've done some reading and have heard that both the coils and control module are prone to fail.
My coils are good, basically brand new, but the control module isn't. I'm thinking about picking one up, Autozone stocks them for about $135 (ouch) but it might be cheaper than a repair bill.

If anyone knows of a thread on here that talks about possibly relocating that stupid thing up off of the engine block so it doesn't constantly get nailed with water, salt/spray let me know.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #13
NOT AN S10

Quote: Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn
tps maybe...or a wire isnt seated all the way
where is the tps on the 98+?

i'm thinking maybe that's wrong with my truck...every one in five starts...it stumbles on two cylinders sometimes when i turn it on, if i slightly touch the gas pedal it runs fine then.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
tu-tu guru

Quote: Originally Posted by tg900
where is the tps on the 98+?

i'm thinking maybe that's wrong with my truck...every one in five starts...it stumbles on two cylinders sometimes when i turn it on, if i slightly touch the gas pedal it runs fine then.
on the TB...usually on the throttle blade
Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #15

Unhappy Re: 2000 2.2L misfire NEED HELP!

Quote: Originally Posted by scrapinonbumps
I have a 2000 s10, 2.2 with 105xxx miles and it hasn't ran good since the day I bought it. It used to misfire only when I would first start it up and then disappear after a few minutes but the misfire wasn't constant. It would just miss once or twice every thirty seconds. So I replaced the coil packs, plugs, and wires with ac delco and it seemed to fix everything for about two months. So I trusted the truck enough to drive it from Michigan to Cali and it did great the whole way until I actually got here and now it's misfiring again.

Sometimes it's constant and sometimes it just misses a couple of times a min. It seemed like it only did it when it was humid out or raining but today it was dry and warm and it was misfirng really bad so I came home and let it sit for three hours and went outside to start it again and it runs perfect I figured if I waited till it was dark out I might be able to see it arc somewhere since I can here it arc when it does it's random miss, but like I said it's running perfect now. It doesn't always arc when it misfires so im stumped, I thought it might be the map sensor but im not sure. I know alot of other people have this problem but no one seems to know what it is, Can you help??????
I'm trying to figure out a simlar problem on my friend's 1998 Sonoma 2.2L. Out of the blue it started to stumble intermittanly and had a Cylinder #4 misfire code, so we changed the wires (standard Advanced Auto wires) and checked/cleaned the plug on #4. Then the next rainy/snowy day it did it again but this time the code was misfire on #3. Before we had a chance to work on it he got stranded on a worksite because the truck wouldn't run with enough power to get on the street! He noticed this time some arcing of the wires down by the coil packs, so we decided to change the factory coils (about 120K on the truck). Did that and first start up was arcing at least one wire still, so I messed with the wires a bit and got it to run fine with no arcing, but then this morning it was stumbling again (seems to happen in the morning on the more "moist" days.) He's changing the wires tonight with the nicer Napa ones along with new plugs. We checked the old coils and they were still good but oh well! We'll see how it runs the next couple of days with the new stuff on there.....
Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #16

i had this kind of problem and i've found that the major reason for misfiring on mine 2.2l was the wires that wasnt fully seated, cuz how its built, its pretty hard to know if its on the spark plug completely and make sure you use some dielectior on the plug/boot so to prevent any sort of moist to get in and easier to get off in future. im running the Bosch plugs (one outer electrode0 and it runs damn good. till one day it started to misfiring again and found out its from head gasket, changed that and has been fine ever since.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #17

Quote: Originally Posted by TrailTamer
i had this kind of problem and i've found that the major reason for misfiring on mine 2.2l was the wires that wasnt fully seated, cuz how its built, its pretty hard to know if its on the spark plug completely and make sure you use some dielectior on the plug/boot so to prevent any sort of moist to get in and easier to get off in future. im running the Bosch plugs (one outer electrode0 and it runs damn good. till one day it started to misfiring again and found out its from head gasket, changed that and has been fine ever since.
What other symptoms did you have with the head gasket? My buddy had noticed some anitfreeze leaking but he thought it was a heater hose, replaced it, and hasn't noticed any leaking now but I was thinking his head gasket was going out too, since that is common on these trucks....
Old 03-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by dcompton
What other symptoms did you have with the head gasket? My buddy had noticed some anitfreeze leaking but he thought it was a heater hose, replaced it, and hasn't noticed any leaking now but I was thinking his head gasket was going out too, since that is common on these trucks....
other problem is relatively weak/low power at idle, will stalls by just turn the wheel from straight to lock. and idle so rough, i can see the 5 speed shifter rocking around like 2-3 inch and losing large amount of coolant in short time without a leak (no smoking, pretty stumped on that part), thats pretty thats it
Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #19

Hi Iam new to this but I have a 2000 S10 2.2l and have a simular problem, the truck starts rough, hard start and once started will not stall on at idle unless accelerator pressed slightly, and check engine light is on and the code is p0300 which means multiple eng misfire, once I reset the code it drives fine but will not stay on idle, I have tied a wire to keep the throttle open ajar to keep the engine running but it is wasting lot of fuel, I have replaced:
New champion plugs
Head Gasket (when I bought the truck thermostat stuck and overheated)
Thermostat
Water Pump
Flex Pipe
O2 Sensor (Catalyic)
Catalyic Converter
Starter
New Battery
Brake Pads And Rotors
PLEASE HELP ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
I read on the forums and it seems to point towards Idle air control, but I have taken it out and turn the key on off and it seems to retract and extend fine, oh ya sometimes when the engine is warm it seems to idle fine with the wire removed? Funny I can't seem to fined the problem
Old 05-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #20

Hey I'm also new here and I got a strange problem with my 2000 Sonoma a injector stuck open so I changed all four may as well since the intake is off but even after changing them the plugs wires and oil we now have a miss on no 4 cylinder code and a injector circuit code and it still runs like crap
I just did a full exuast job and rear end change and I can't drive it to work it sucks
We have also fixed the common chafing problem where the injector harness rubs the intake we think our problem is in the harness or ecm but not sure has anyone had this problem or is it just me in the rusty place I live in any help would be great thanks
Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #21
It's mostly BS

Is the injector firing? You should be able to determine it like this:

http://tinyurl.com/brlqvfu

Maybe one of the wires is broken. You will need to ohm it out to determine that.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #22
UENVYME

I will update everyone on my situation... Turned out I had a fuel injector that was dumping fuel into the cylinder. Changed the fuel injector (along with absolutely everything else of course) and things started getting a lot better. I will also remind everyone that if you change, remove, or replace the Crank or Camshaft position sensors, (and a list or other parts) you are "supposed" to have a "CASE RELEARN" procedure done, which has to be done on a Tech II scanner.

My truck is running a million times better, but again, I had changed EVERYTHING, but NO improvement UNTIL I changed the fuel injector... I realize they are about $100 a pop, but that is my suggestion... good luck.

2000 GMC Sonoma 2.2 Flex Fuel Ext Cab Auto 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.