1997 chevy s10 cranks but no start - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1997 chevy s10 cranks but no start

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #1

1997 chevy s10 cranks but no start

just replaced the timing chain and all that good stuff inside there. now the old chain did snap. i double checked the timing marks. cranks fine but its not starting. checked the plugs and there all getting fire. it backfires out the throttle body. now when i hold the gas pedal down to the floor, and start it, it backfires alot like if it wants to start. well heres a video of its cranking over and you can smell gas like its flooded. has 145,xxx miles thanks

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=100_1172.flv

Last edited by redeye45135; 06-21-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
1 slo S

User is: OffLine
Re: 1997 chevy s10 cranks but no start

Did you check your compression? You probably bent some valves.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #3

no i didnt check it. im about to take the head off anyways. now when it broke, i was sitting at a red light. the chain is in 2 pieces and bent the tension.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Dr. Mike

sounds like you're 180* off in timing (it is possible)... I watched the video.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #5

I watched the video, and I can almost guarantee you that you've got numerous bent valves. With the way the engine is just freely rotating like that without even trying to fire, you don't have much compression going on at all. Do a compression check; I'm betting most, if not all, of the cylinders will read zero.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #6

My 97 stripped the gear teeth and I ended up bending every single intake valve in the head. The valves are easy to get from advance auto and are actually fairly cheap from what I remember. They only got slightly bent, but just enough to not allow compression to build up. I can almost guarantee thats what happened. Make sure you replace both intake AND exhaust valves. Pushrods should be fine, and if you replace the lifters, make sure they are pumped up in oil and installed in the right direction (bad experience with my rebuild....expensive mistake!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.