1994 2.2 Tachometer install ? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1994 2.2 Tachometer install ?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.2L - 2nd gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #1

1994 2.2 Tachometer install ?

How do you hook up a tach in a 1994 2.2 5spd that did not come with a tach ??? Any help would be appreciated....
Old 04-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
slowly fast

User is: OffLine
Re: 1994 2.2 Tachometer install ?

Pull out the gauge cluster and look at the plug on the cluster.Now look at the socket in the dash.There is a white wire in the dash socket that does not have a copper path on the gauge plug.That is the tach signal wire.Just splice into that.That same wire comes from the coil packs so you can tap into it at either location.I tapped into the gauge cluster.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by rndthm
How do you hook up a tach in a 1994 2.2 5spd that did not come with a tach ??? Any help would be appreciated....
Ben there done that. You need to get two things 1. a tach 2. a tach adaptor. I got both mine through autometer. First find where your going to hook up the tach and bolt it there. The tach has Four wires. Green, Black, Red, White. At lest mine did. Hook the red to eany 12 volt power source, Hook the black to a good ground, hook the White (if it has a light) to you light switch ( just tap into you main driveing lights). Now you need to drill a small hole somewheres in you fire wall so you can run the green wire into the engin compartment. Pull it through and save the green for latter. Now the Tach adaptor is even easyer....Bolt it to you passanger side fender. We have another four wires here. Black, Green, Pink and Pink with a Green stripe. The black to a good ground agen. The green wire gets hooked up to the green wire from the tach. Now you need to find the so called distrubitor cap in you truck. It's on the passanger side of the block near the front and about 2/3 the way down, just follow your spark plug wires. Now there is a shit load of wires wraped up leading into this cap. Split the plastic covering the wires and you need to find a Pink wire. Cut this wire. The pink wire on the tach adaptor conects to the pink wire you just cut closest to the cap. The pink wire with the green stripe on the adaptor conects to the cut pink wire thats leads to the engin. There your done. Sounds hard but it's realy simple. If you want to see some pics of mine just e-mail me at rice705@hotmail.com and ill snap some for you this weakend.
P.S. good luck trying to find a cluster with a tach that will fit into the truck and work as the other guy sugested. I looked for monthes befor I put my tach in. You only find them with the 4.3 engins and the cluster wont work with your truck, Diffrent computers. By the way I have a 94, 2.2 S10.
Sorrey bout the spelling mistakes. I was never good at it

Last edited by BlackS10; 04-29-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
slowly fast

Thats funny my tach seems to work fine and i have a 94 as well.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:19 PM   #5

Hay Mdthm I maxed your hotmail with just two pics Have otheres to send. Let me know when your ready for them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.