29K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Brawndo 
#1 ·
Where can I get a 5 speed manual?

My Truck:
1987 S10 2.5 lit. 4 Speed Manual
Newly Rebuilt at Raymars

I know the 5 speed manual will work out of a:
1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991.

Can anybody point me to the right direction? Willing to spend good money to get a good used or even refurbished one. I know Upullit has a few s10's with 5 speed's in them. I don't have the tools or the help right now to pull one out myself.

Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks

#3 ·
The 89+ will have an electronic pickup for the speedo, the 88- will have a mechanical drive to the speedo.

#5 ·
Dunno, might see if the Pickup will fit the old style hole.

#14 ·
My 87 2.5l with the T5 ran 3k @ 70MPH

#15 ·
I have a question about this. My S10 does have the hydrolic clutch. I know the master cylinder was replaced before. Roswell wrecking has the 5 Speed manual out of an 1988 s10 pick up. But the person on the phone says it won't work. The starter is on the same side but something else won't match up and I thought it would. All this reading I have done and I thought it would just bolt right up pretty much except for the speedo issue.

If you guys can help me out that would be great. If this tranny won't work. What model of tranny can I get to bolt right up without modding too much.

Or is it easier to get the rear differential gears changed so I can go at a higher speed but loose low end power.

Here is a link to there site. If you search for an 1987 s10 tranny you can find the 5 speed.
http://www.roswellwrecking.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

#16 ·
IIRC 88 was the last year of the cable driven speedo? Should be the only difference.... externally at least......

#18 ·
If the tranny is indeed a t5, 88 and prior were mechanical speedos. 89 and higher were electronic. They all interchange if they came out of a 2.5l, or 2.8l s10. If you want to keep the stock speedo, then stay with the kind that you have. In your case you have an 87, so anything before 88 will be a direct bolt up if it came from an s10 with either the 2.5l or 2.8l.

I picked up my t5 out of a 90 2.5l S15 and bolted it directly to my 91 2.8l s10. I paid $150 for it, and then a few days later found one for $100, and a running parts truck a few days later with no title for $300. Too bad my wife wouldn't let me grab that one.

#19 ·
Ok, I have never heard of an '87 with a 4 speed tranny. Anyone know if they were available in the later years? I thought they phased all 4 speeds out by '85. Anyway, if you have a 4 speed, the drive shafts are different. The 5 speed shaft is shorter - the 4 speed tranny is shorter than the 5 speed. The easiest thing to do is find a pre 88 tranny and shaft - you will then have a bolt in swap. If you are close to Baton Rouge I have several 5 speeds, both cable and electronic speedos. I think I also have drive shafts.

#20 ·
Ok so...

I need to get the tranny and the drive shaft. My s10 is indeed a 87 s10 2.5 with a 4speed. Yes it stinks to have it. All other s10 I see are 5 speed.

The s10 it came out of is a 1988 s10 2.5 liter. I'm trying to get some pictures but they are very slow.

The cost will be 425 with shipping.

Is it worth it? I think it will be. Having a 5th gear will make it run smoother at a higher speed is my reasoning behind this hole thing.

Thanks all.

#21 ·
my 87 5 speed ran 3k @ 70 MPH.....

#23 ·
I have 2 spare 2.5 5speed transimissions. PM me and we can work something out

#24 ·
Check your glove box for the rear gear code. I think it is probably a 3.73 with a 4 speed. Here are the codes:
GU2 = 2.73 (rare)
GU4 = 3.08
GU5 = 3.23 (rare)
GU6 = 3.42 (best all around gear ratio)
GT4 = 3.73 can also be GQ1
GT5 = 4.10 (rare)
HO4 = 4.10 can also be this code
If there is a G80 after or before any of the G codes it means a Governor Lock diff. These aren't that great for racing, but fine for daily driving.
If you have a 3.73, a 5 speed will reduce your RPM @ 70 MPH to 2900 ~ 3000 RPM - you are probably doing this much @ 60 MPH. With a 3.42 it will be another 500 RPM less. Every half point (gear ratio) means 500 less RPM. If you don't get a tranny, I can provide one. PM me for cost and shipping. Also, check your tranny - if it has a removeable bell it's a BW T4. If not, it's probably an Isuzu unit and the clutch disc is different. I'd replace the cluch assembly while you have it apart - they're really cheap on Ebay.

#25 ·
Thank you both for letting me know.

I see the sticker on the glove box. Where in the hell would it be at though? Its all together. Is the easiest way to print the numbers out and see what one is there? Or do you know the exact spot in the working where it will be.

I live in abq new mexico zip code is 87102.

I will also try and jack the truck up in the next few days so I can take some really good pictures of the tranny and hopefully that will help. As I remember when it was all apart for the big rebuild the bell housing would come off.

What prices are you guys thinking one would cost me? I know shipping is about 100 bucks on its own or more. Over at Rosewell Wrecking they want around 450 shipped for the 1988 s10 2.5 tranny.

Thanks

#26 ·
If you look at the printed label in the Gbox, you will see codes with a prefix letter and suffix 2 digit number. These are the build code and options for your truck. You'll see the G codes in alphabetic order. They are the rear end identification. As I posted earlier, you can tell what gear set you have by this code unless (obviously) someone changed the rear axle unit. It is unlikely that you have a posi, but stranger things may happen. If you ever do change your rear end, be sure that you don't get a 4x4 rear - they're wider. Your wheels/tires will stick out unless you use the 4x4 wheels/tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.