Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Mad Max is offline
Re: On truck replacement of Iron Duke timing gear possible?
My Duke has 220K miles on it. It rattles a little on start up, but is totally quiet when running, unless I almost stall it. Somone changed the oil very regularly, I've had the Vcover off, it looks almost like new. The oil pressure is around 60 psi at anything above 1,500 RPM.
I guess I will change the timing set next time I'm home (aluminum gear set), I drive this truck all over the country. I am going to do the 'in frame' timing gear change, leaving the cam in the block. I know many have done it, I will take step by step pics and post. I plan on installing a new cover also, as well as a real harmonic balancer which I already have. If I get to it, I may install a performance cam.
S10 addiction: (1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty,
(2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck Truck), (3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty,
(4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo Truck), (5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie Truck),
(6) '83 S10, 327, TH 350, shorty (13.00 best),
(7) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty,
(8) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.