Can't find replacement pilot bearing... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Can't find replacement pilot bearing...

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.5L - 1st gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #1

Can't find replacement pilot bearing...

My son has '92 2wd, 2.5 with a 5 spd manual trans. He is doing an engine swap and can't find a correct pilot bearing. The OD of the pilot bearing specified by the books is too small. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
whore turned lurker

User is: OffLine
Re: Can't find replacement pilot bearing...

napa part number
Part: BRG B661

Clutch Pilot Bearing I.D. : .594"
Clutch Pilot Bearing O.D. : 1.093"
Clutch Pilot Bearing Width : .745"
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #3

Is it a bearing or bushing?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #4

A bushing is basically a type of bearing, especially in this case. Yeah just a small cylindrical lining or sleeve pressed into the end of crank. You can hydraulicly press it out. Pack it with grease and ram it out with a drift that just fits inside of it and hammer. If you don't have good size drift flip a sock on an extension backwards (or pack it too). Then clean grease out of crank and off flywheel. After you check new bushing on the tranny input shaft (snug fit, clutch kit can have a couple), press it into crank. Check the instructions, it may say to not grease the oil impregnated pilot bearing/bushing, or some such. I missed that, mine's greased full and done.

Just in case your thinking of the throw out bearing, it's a much larger bearing assembly. Probably pre packed and sealed (see instructions). But put a little grease on it and other wear points.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
R/C Guru

Make absolutely sure that you pick the right one the first time...when you dont have the means to use the above grease trick, cutting them out sucks the big one...
Old 03-05-2009, 02:38 AM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by max1million
A bushing is basically a type of bearing, especially in this case.
A bearing is a bearing, a bushing is a bushing. A bearing spins, a bushing stays stationary. So no, a bushing isnt a type of bearing. In this case, they serve the same purpose, but do so in different ways.

I believe the s10's can potentially have a pilot shaft bushing OR bearing, depending on which manual transmission your truck has.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #7

see 3a 3b bearing and a dime is a coin with a value of 1/10 of a dollar.
In my '92 2wd S10, 2.5 with a 5 spd manual trans, the pilot bearing is pressed into the end of crank.

Last edited by max1million; 03-05-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
whore turned lurker

Quote: Originally Posted by mobileaudio219
Is it a bearing or bushing?
considering it is being called a bearing i would assume its a bearing,they have a bushing listed aswell and its like $4 cheaper.

btw the truck came from the factory with a bushing but a bearing is offered to replace it along with bushing.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by dimerunner88
considering it is being called a bearing i would assume its a bearing,they have a bushing listed aswell and its like $4 cheaper.

btw the truck came from the factory with a bushing but a bearing is offered to replace it along with bushing.
Do you know how many people call bushings, bearings?

I didnt know if he was looking for a bushing, but calling it a bearing. It happens, alot.

Go to the parts stores and have them show you the ones they have in stock, make sure it slids into the pilot shaft before tapping it in the crank.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #10

The definitions of both (bearing/bushing) fit in this case, also Plain bearing, which are typically split. What ever you want to call it, the point is, it's referring to the same thing. If it's apart you might as well change it, its cheap insurance.

I'd suggest that you at least check it's inside diameter is somewhat close to the outside diameter of the shaft it is supposed to bear in the hole it is to bush. Mine was so worn that when I slid it on the tranny's input shaft it looked like the wrong part.

For a 1992 Chevrolet Truck S10 P/U 2WD (2.5L TBI)
Autozone has 2 listed in Shopping | Drivetrain |Clutch Pilot Bearing/Pilot Bushing:

Timken / Clutch Pilot Bearing/Pilot Bushing
PB656HD $11.99

Motormite / Clutch Pilot Bearing/Pilot Bushing
14650 $5.99

Guess they were confused too. They also list kit or set (same but not), and other parts for clutch in Drivetrain.

Somebody found out what happens when the pilot thing is gone.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #11

napa part number
Part: BRG B661

Clutch Pilot Bearing I.D. : .594"
Clutch Pilot Bearing O.D. : 1.093"
Clutch Pilot Bearing Width : .745"
Tom, I tried that bushing too. The O.D. id still too small for the crank. The ID of the crank hole is 1.170. The motor he is using came from the salvage yard. I'm wondering if the motor or crank came out of something else.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #12

Maybe the engine didn't come from an S10? Maybe it's from a car.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
whore turned lurker

Quote: Originally Posted by dads56
Tom, I tried that bushing too. The O.D. id still too small for the crank. The ID of the crank hole is 1.170. The motor he is using came from the salvage yard. I'm wondering if the motor or crank came out of something else.
ok, did the engine come from an automatic? the autos don't have the correct hole for the pilot bearing.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #14

ok, did the engine come from an automatic? the autos don't have the correct hole for the pilot bearing.
Tom, it may have came from an automatic truck. there was no tranny in the truck when he pulled the motor. Is there any other way to tell if it came from an automatic transmission vehicle? So the crank in an automatic transmission vehicle was a different crank? I have been thinking about turning a bushing on a lathe. Is there any other reason you would not want to use an automatic motor with a five speed? It seems like someone would make a bushing for the swap.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.