can you pull the oil pan with engine in the truck - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

can you pull the oil pan with engine in the truck

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.5L - 1st gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #1

can you pull the oil pan with engine in the truck

I am pretty sure I wiped a rod bearing, i need to see. Is it possible to remove the oil pan without pulling the engine or jacking it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
whore turned lurker

User is: OffLine
Re: can you pull the oil pan with engine in the truck

you need an engine hoist,just unbolt your motor mounts and lift the engine up until it starts lifting the truck. thats the only way you have enough room. i've had to replace a rod bearing this way, it works but its kinda difficult.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #3

thanks, ill look into it next week
Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
whore turned lurker

good luck try not to drive it too long with the bad bearing, it'll tear up your crank surface and the new bearing will go out within minutes of start-up.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:12 AM   #5

I think I drove about 5 miles with it bad. I had the windows down and noticed a loss of power. I rolled them up and heard the knock, then I lost oil pressure, so I pulled over and got a tow back into town. I really want to do a v8 swap, but cant come up with the 4 grand right now.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
whore turned lurker

that shouldn't be too bad then,just run your finger over it checking for sharp edges and burrs
Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 PM   #7

So I did manage to get the oil pan out, but I had to take out the oil pump and pickup tube, then remove my radiator and take it out the front. Its really tight in there. I am going to replace all four since I got the pan out, but I am concerned about getting a good seal on the pan. I am not sure if I should run a bead of atv on the block or the pan and if I should do it before or after I wiggle the pan back in there. My old s10 had the 2.8 and its pan had a cork style gasket. This one does not. I think I will go ahead and replace the forward and aft seals while its off.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
whore turned lurker

ya, they don't use a gasket on the front or rear of the pans,the dumbest thing on these engines. when i did mine i put RTV on the block and the pan,just to be sure,lol. if you use too much it'll just come out when you change the oil. haha
Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 AM   #9
Rarely goes over 20mph

thats what i did with mine, most of it came out the sides and then i ran my finger along it to make sure its perfectly sealed, works like a charm
Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 AM   #10

Spent 5 hours under the truck tonight. Got all new bearings in and everything put back together. I am going to let the rtv cure over night then fill it with oil and see if i f'ed it up or not tomorrow. For some reason when I put the oil pan vack in, only one sides bolt holes lined up right. The others were only half lined up. It was a wicked pain in the ass to get the pan bolts back in. I used the black rtv and put two lines around it and around the bolt holes. Something I thought was weird was that the back drivers side of the pan doesn't seem to sit flush with the block. The block has a raised portion on that side in the back. I just hope if it leaks it wont leak too bad.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
whore turned lurker

ya, that section is weird but i dunno. good luck
Old 08-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #12

Apparently I elongated my bearing journal because I still have the damn knock. I know it was the bearing cause that bitch was smashed out of the side. That rod cap was also particularly hard to get off. So, I guess its time to pull the plates and let her sit until I can afford my v8 swap. I'm not about to go through that again, as well as pulling the head to get the new rod in. At that point I may as well rebuild it and its a damn 2.5.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
whore turned lurker

sucks man
Old 08-24-2007, 03:17 AM   #14

Yeah, your tellin me. I have not decided on a 4.3 or a v8 swap. I have always wanted a v8 s10 but I can get a complete 4.3 truck for 1500 and swap everything. Not sure what I should do.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
whore turned lurker

you could do a carbed 4.3 so later on down the line a 350 will bolt right in with new mounts and exhaust
Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by dimerunner88
you could do a carbed 4.3 so later on down the line a 350 will bolt right in with new mounts and exhaust
I have been looking at doing a vortec 350 swap. I want to stay fuel injected and the vortec with FI should keep me in the 25mpg range. Im not going to race this truck, I just want to be able to do 70 on the freeway and pass a car.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
whore turned lurker

if your going the FI route i would just do the 350 first since that what you'll ultimatly want. you can get a full harness from jared at current performance wiring for around $800. it may seem alot but its a plug and play harness no wire splicing involved. i recommend a manual trans like the nv3500 instead of an auto. i've went through several auto trans on my 350. i'm currently saving up to purchase a t-56 6-speed which runs around 1500 just for the trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.