Best year of the Iron Duke? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Best year of the Iron Duke?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.5L - 1st gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Best year of the Iron Duke?

Searching for a standard cab/short box s10/sonoma with the 2.5L and 5 speed. After doing some searching it looks like the '93 model year produced the most power. Is this correct?

Since you guys are the experts, what year should I be looking for?

Also have ?'s about what tran(s) came behind the 2.5L through the years and if any of the 5 speeds came with hydraulic clutches but still need to do some more searching on those.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Best year of the Iron Duke?

91-93 code "A" has the best flowing head an the most aggressive cam.. look at different forums on here here, you'll learn alot.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by zach 89s10
91-93 code "A" has the best flowing head an the most aggressive cam.. look at different forums on here here, you'll learn alot.
Looks like 91-93 it is. I will be converting to propane through this kit from gotpropane: http://www.gotpropane.com/p564.html

The reason for this is because most of the guy's I wheel with run propane (spare tanks) and propane is SO much simpler than dealing with sensors, wiring, and tbi in general.

Is there a link where I can find what transmissions came behind the 91-93 2.5L's?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

Not that I know of, maybe mad Max or ed123 will weigh on, they know a good bit about them also, the t5 is the same as the 2.8's. The "60 degree bolt pattern" the 3.4 has the same also.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #5

I thought I read the the iron duke has the same transmission bolt pattern as the small block and big block chevys?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
No longer a pizza tech.

Nope. Thats the 4.3
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #7

The old "stove bolt" ones did, the 2.5 that come in the Chevy 2's and Nova's, there the 153, our 2.5's is the 151, there a completely different motor.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #8

The old "stove bolt" ones did, the 2.5 that come in the Chevy 2's and Nova's, there the 153, our 2.5's is the 151, there a completely different motor.
What about the newer 2.2L's?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Boozebag

CJ, early RWD 2.5s had the SBC bellhousing bolt pattern. You will find those in Monzas, AMC Jeeps, early AMC Spirits, Buick Skylarks, etc.
All of the later (after 85) Dukes had the FWD Bhousing bolt pattern.
Zach has it right... 110 HP in the last A code version. The 8th digit on your VIN is the engine code. This tells you what the truck had for original power.

The T5s were basically the same for all S10s, they are light duty versions. The Camaro/Firebirds and Ford T5s were totally different. They were heavier, had the shifter in a different location and the GMs were 'clocked' 18* to the right. You can make them work in a Dime, but they need considerable mods and different combination of parts (like the clutch and flywheel are different from the S10 counterparts).
There has been talk of the 2.5 and 2.8 trannys having different gear ratios in 5th, but I am unable to confirm that.
Otherwise, the 2.5 and 2.8 T5s are totally interchangeable.

More important than the tranny ratios (if you are looking for mileage) is the rear end gear ratio. Getting good mileage is a combination of factors. You need to have the best ratio for all around driving for best mileage. If you are going to go wheeling in the woods, forget about mileage. You will need the highest (numerically) ratio you can get for slow cruising. Like 4.56 to 1 or something.
Anyway, good luck with your build/project.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by ChevyJoe
What about the newer 2.2L's?
I don't know a thing about the 2.2, other than I know that they actually do make a few adtermarket parts for them, they've got to much electronics and hoses on them for me, I'm young but I'm all for the old school, my dime is older than me
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Boozebag

I don't know a thing about the 2.2, other than I know that they actually do make a few adtermarket parts for them, they've got to much electronics and hoses on them for me, I'm young but I'm all for the old school, my dime is older than me
What a howl...

I don't own anything older than me... that would be pretty tough since I'm sort of dusty.

My oldest vehicle is a 1958 Wolseley...

Looks EXACTLY like this
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #12

Max how many vehicles Do u have?? Lol
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
Boozebag

^^^^ I haven't counted but it is safe to say .... ALOT.
I have a dealer's license and have dealer tags so it's easy to drive different vehicles.
Someday I'll post a thread with some of the shizzboxes I own. Probably somewhere in the range of 40.
As you know, I have (7) S10s to start the count.
It's a damn disease I tell you.
I am currently buying a Nissan pickup with a Ford Thunderbird turbo engine in it...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #14

My service manager at work is a nut over the hardbodys an 240's. I'd love to have a KA 24 in a s10. They actually make parts for those
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by Mad Max
^^^^ I haven't counted but it is safe to say .... ALOT.
I have a dealer's license and have dealer tags so it's easy to drive different vehicles.
Someday I'll post a thread with some of the shizzboxes I own. Probably somewhere in the range of 40.
As you know, I have (7) S10s to start the count.
It's a damn disease I tell you.
I am currently buying a Nissan pickup with a Ford Thunderbird turbo engine in it...
2.3 Turbo?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
Boozebag

2.3 Turbo?
Yeah, the 2.3. The install looks good, althought the truck doesn't have an intercooler. I can see alot of improvements that would make the truck a screamer. The 2.3 Ford is a pretty rugged engine. They put them in everything.
It has a 5 speed behind it and looks like it belongs in the truck.
Bigger turbo, injectors, downpipe, intercooler and the truck could definately qtr mile or be a drifter...
I also recently bought an '89 240SX with an RB20DET in it. Totally set up. Guy spent over 15K on it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #17

My boss is putn a smallblock in his lol I've been helpn him, tight fit! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.