'92 2.5 married to twin Weber DCOE Webers - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

'92 2.5 married to twin Weber DCOE Webers

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 2.5L - 1st gen 4-banging
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #1

'92 2.5 married to twin Weber DCOE Webers

I am desiring to discuss the installation of twin Weber 45's on my 1992 S10 2.5. I have the Weber carb's and manifold. I also have an earlier 2.5 HEI distributor. The project I will be putting it in may weigh about 1,800 lbs. I also will be using a Camaro T5 trans. I have acquired a couple of sets of high compression .040 over pistons. Could someone share a bit of knowledge and experience as I get going on this rebuild.
Al
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Cool, Tight, & STRONG....

User is: OffLine
Lightbulb Re: '92 2.5 married to twin Weber DCOE Webers

Quote: Originally Posted by Alsfarms
I am desiring to discuss the installation of twin Weber 45's on my 1992 S10 2.5. I have the Weber carb's and manifold. I also have an earlier 2.5 HEI distributor. The project I will be putting it in may weigh about 1,800 lbs. I also will be using a Camaro T5 trans. I have acquired a couple of sets of high compression .040 over pistons. Could someone share a bit of knowledge and experience as I get going on this rebuild.
Al
==================
Al--

You will be very happy with the side draft Webers on the Iron Duke.

40mm size would be better, but since you already have the 45s you can install smaller venturis and gain drive ability. With the Duke's displacement, think 32mm or MAYBE 34mm venturis...also you need the anti-vibration
mounts (gaskets) to isolate the float bowls from the Duke's vibration shakes. You also need a vacuum source for the vacuum advance of the distributor, do the Webers provide a port??

Standard thinking on over boring the Duke says to stick with a 30-thou overbore, as your 40-thou pistons will weaken the block quite a bit, but they may do alright so long as your "project" is a part-time driver and not a daily.

The smaller venturis and the anti-vibration mounts are a must have....

The tail shaft housing off a S10 moves the shifter forward and should be a bolt-on if you want to relocate it farther towards the engine...

Last edited by Steady Eddie; 01-15-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #3

Re: '92 2.5 married to twin Weber DCOE Webers

Thanks for your reply. I studied, as best as I could, the various charts and graphs that assist with sizing the chokes for the Webers. I decided based on the S10 being a 2.5 and not a 2.0 I should use the 45's according to the curves. I am not after a high end screamer at all! However, I do desire a stout runner in the mid range. Max at 5000 rpms. I do have a couple of questions, will the Camaro T5 bolt right up to my S10 bellhousing? For my application I want the shifter back as far as I can get it. Second question, I had someone tell me that the 92 S10 2.5 block will not work to drive an older series HEI unit. Is that correct or wrong. If you have any other ideas on the Weber carb setup. Please speak up. If 45's are a bit oversized, I could resale them and go with 40's. I want this project to be a very drivable unit.
Regards,
Al
Old 01-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #4

Where did you get the manifold?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Cool, Tight, & STRONG....

User is: OffLine
Lightbulb Re: '92 2.5 married to twin Weber DCOE Webers

Quote: Originally Posted by Alsfarms
Thanks for your reply. I studied, as best as I could, the various charts and graphs that assist with sizing the chokes for the Webers. I decided based on the S10 being a 2.5 and not a 2.0 I should use the 45's according to the curves. I am not after a high end screamer at all! However, I do desire a stout runner in the mid range. Max at 5000 rpms. I do have a couple of questions, will the Camaro T5 bolt right up to my S10 bellhousing? For my application I want the shifter back as far as I can get it. Second question, I had someone tell me that the 92 S10 2.5 block will not work to drive an older series HEI unit. Is that correct or wrong. If you have any other ideas on the Weber carb setup. Please speak up. If 45's are a bit oversized, I could resale them and go with 40's. I want this project to be a very drivable unit.
Regards,
Al
===================
Al--

If you can sell the 45s, do it. The 40mm Webers will allow for more velocity to the head. Velocity of flow at low RPMs is what you want. And the 40s have it in spades. The bigger 45s will act just like an oversized exhaust system on the "other" flow side of the Iron Duke cylinder head. Lots of volume, but low exhaust flow velocity. On the intake side, carbs too big equals the same high volume and low velocity flow. You want the exhaust note to CRACK when you blip the throttle, not bog...

There are Members here, like Member "Rizzle" that oval track race these motors, using the carbed Citation HEI distributor, and they may be able to confrim or deny if your Code A engine will accept the dizzy you have. IIRC, it should work...

The trans needs to be compared, bell housing-wise, to see if it will fit, but GM did make Iron Duke engined Cameros...with the 5-speeds...

Last edited by Steady Eddie; 01-15-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #6

Steady Eddie and Bear76,
The NOS manifold I now have is a purchase from EBAY. The MFG. is Cannon. It is made for the cross flow 2.5 and likely was meant for use in a Fiero. I am certain that I will have not any problem with placing it on my S10 engine. My final project will have lots of engine room also. When I got the Weber DCOE 45's I also got a Datsun 510 intake and linkage. I will evaluate all aspects of 40 or 45 sized Webers before I do anything. If it be that I decide to sell and use 40's I will also have the Datsun manifold to sell. If anyone knows a Datsun guy, head him my way.
Regards, Al
Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #7

If it fits, I'd love to see a pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.