vortec 350 water pump question - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

vortec 350 water pump question

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
what? to loud? u crazy

User is: OffLine
vortec 350 water pump question

i tried searching around but wanna double check a few things. what all water pumps will fit a 99 vortec 350? im looking for some without the heater hose outlets. its a gen 1 block so almost all 350 sbc should fit wouldnt they? i wont be running heat or anything like that its a bagged truck building just to beat on so none of thats needed. thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #2

Re: vortec 350 water pump question

Quote: Originally Posted by bmph8er
i tried searching around but wanna double check a few things. what all water pumps will fit a 99 vortec 350? im looking for some without the heater hose outlets. its a gen 1 block so almost all 350 sbc should fit wouldnt they? i wont be running heat or anything like that its a bagged truck building just to beat on so none of thats needed. thanks
You can run any style pump, but you have to use the corresponding accessories. The vortec is it's own design, neither long or short pump. So if you use the vortec accessories you must use the vortec pump.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
what? to loud? u crazy

na i have a crank pulley and water pump pulley as well as a alt mount from a 70s v8. so i belive i can just use a old style long pump. just wanting to make sure. all im going to be running is crank pulley water pump and alt. no power steering or a/c or nething
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Call me Mario, Princess

User is: Online

Quote: Originally Posted by RedNoma
You can run any style pump, but you have to use the corresponding accessories. The vortec is it's own design, neither long or short pump. So if you use the vortec accessories you must use the vortec pump.
This is wrong. You can not use a vortec water pump on an early block because the vortec has an external bypass where the early small block is internal.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by AceHaag
This is wrong. You can not use a vortec water pump on an early block because the vortec has an external bypass where the early small block is internal.
Considering we're talking about a "vortec" block everything that I said is in fact correct. You can use all three style pumps on that block.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

you need an early style pump cause with a serpentine set-up the water pump is reverse rotation. so with your old style v-belts most aftermarket water pumps or old carbed engine water pumps will fit. if you wanna save some headaches, make sure you get a year that was carbed. i can't recall any chevy v8 that were carbed and had a serpentine set-up.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
Call me Mario, Princess

User is: Online
Exclamation Re: vortec 350 water pump question

Quote: Originally Posted by RedNoma
Considering we're talking about a "vortec" block everything that I said is in fact correct. You can use all three style pumps on that block.
Go ahead and put an early pump on a vortec block and watch all your coolant piss onto the floor out the bypass hole that doesnt seal on the block.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
what? to loud? u crazy

from what i been told the blocks are the same vortec or not. its the heads that make it a vortec. my gen 1 vortec block is basicly the same block they been using forever. then again thats what summit and jegs told me when i was pricing stuff.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #9

The blocks are initially the same from what I understood the Gen1 vortec blocks.. I have a 96-98 roller block that I used a 90s heads/ waterpump on it with serpentine setup. I am not REAL familiar with this.. but here is a pic of my 96-98 roller vortec block.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Hey guys watch this!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by bmph8er
from what i been told the blocks are the same vortec or not. its the heads that make it a vortec. my gen 1 vortec block is basicly the same block they been using forever. then again thats what summit and jegs told me when i was pricing stuff.
You are indeed correct. The only thing you have to worry about is pump rotation which will be decided by if it's a serpentine belt or not.

Not sure if theres a stock serpentine set up that uses a standard rotation pump or not.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
"factory freak"...

Quote: Originally Posted by AceHaag
Go ahead and put an early pump on a vortec block and watch all your coolant piss onto the floor out the bypass hole that doesnt seal on the block.
You can tap and plug the bypass hole on early pumps.
But most likely the vortec block is just machined flat
With no hole drilled, so as long as the typical early style
Pump gaskets are used, shouldn't be any leak.

Look at the pic above. The "ear" where the bypass hole
used to be is still there, it's just not drilled for the bypass.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
"factory freak"...

Quote: Originally Posted by ToLows10
You are indeed correct. The only thing you have to worry about is pump rotation which will be decided by if it's a serpentine belt or not.

Not sure if theres a stock serpentine set up that uses a standard rotation pump or not.
Some 85-86 engines used a serpentine belt for the WP and alt.,
but still had V-belts for PS and AC.
No automatic tensioner was used, and WP was std. rotation.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
"factory freak"...

Now that I think about it, many 87 SBC engines
used that setup too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.