vortec 350 timing set ??? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

vortec 350 timing set ???

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
vortec 350 timing set ???

can I install a double roller or gear drive on a vortec 350 if I am using the crank/cam sensor in the stock timing cover? is there a performance upgrade for these motors?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #2

Re: vortec 350 timing set ???

With my double roller, the reluctor would have made contact with the chain links. I had to space the reluctor out about 1/8" or .125", or the thickness of the reluctor itself. I simply cut the center out of another reluctor, so it would still be keyed on the crank. About 2.5" over all diameter. I installed the "spacer", then the reluctor the crank sensor actually reads. I am still in the process of getting everything together so I have not run it yet, however there appears to be no harm in how the sensor will read.

You can't use a gear drive because of the noise interference with the knock sensor.

Last edited by eric0o1; 03-10-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #3

what if I disable the knock sensor with my tuner?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #4

If it were me I wouldn't. I would rather run a factory timing chain as opposed to disabling the knock.

Also, I have heard it is not suggested to run a gear drive with a roller camshaft. I have no idea the reasoning behind it, but it could lead back to roller camshafts being more commonly found in EFI applications where a knock sensor is present. Again this is something I'm only heard second hand and have never had experience with. I've never looked any further into it because I personally hate gear drives because most guys simply install them for the "blower" whine.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #5

ya i wouldnt go without the knock either... youd be taking a chance on ruining that vortec 350. i dont know why you want a gear set up inless you want that blown whine... to much work to make a little noise for me lol... go for the real deal!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #6

I was simply posting the question. I recalled reading somewhere where there was a hi-po chain for the LT motors that worked on the vortecs (some GM part)
Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #7

I believe it is the LT4 timing chain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.