V8 swap.....with carb need fuel pump advice - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

V8 swap.....with carb need fuel pump advice

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #1

V8 swap.....with carb need fuel pump advice

My S-10 blazer has already had a V8 swap done to it...It has a Edlebrock carb on the it. My question is...I am very tired of having to pump the pedal because there is no fuel pump hooked up to it. Can i use the intake fuel pump that is already installed to supply fuel to my carb. if soo i know I will need a regulator...is that all that is needed? or can it even be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
ASE certified MasterTech

User is: OffLine
Re: V8 swap.....with carb need fuel pump advice

If your using a stock setup you need a return regulater. But yes you can.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #3

return regulator the same as a fuel psi regulator...? And when you say stock? are you talking about the engine...because it is in stock condition...right now.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
ASE certified MasterTech

When I say stock I meen stock fuel setup.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-...oductId=761151
With a carb you will need to bleed off that excess fuel the pump is going to want to feed it because it still thinks a TBI is installed.
Return style/bypass style same thing just for clarification.
I like my old school mechanical fuel pump......guess its a prefrence thing. I dont have to pump it unless it has sat for awhile, like a week.

Last edited by jtcfanof3; 11-28-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #5

return regulator is the same as a fuel psi regulator...? And yes the fuel setup is the same...the pump is just not connected...cuz the ECM and all is disconnected..So how do I make this work correct.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Ehhh!

Yeah, for the most part. The regulator will have a fuel inlet, regulated outlet, and a return line to the tank to bleed off excess fuel that was regulated down. I, like jtc, am going to ditch my electric inline and use a mechanical. I have had nothing but issues with my electric pumps. With a mechanical it is a lot easier to trouble shoot. I guess its just my opinion since my truck has been down twice in the short time its been together due to bad electric pumps.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
takes 2 balls in our game

if you can, just put a block mounted pump on it and be done
Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #8

Yeah I might just do that...I have to replace the fuel tank, and I figured why not ask anyway....Well I was going to get the

1721 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Fuel Pump
1727 - Edelbrock Fuel Pressure Regulator

but I didn't if it would work for my application.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #9

My biggest thing is i plan on putting a remote start on the truck, and right now...she has trouble starting in the cold..I will have to pump the gas several times before she will start up. So will those edlebrock products work for me, and will it help for the starter application?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Ehhh!

Remote start on a carbed engine almost sounds pointless to me. When it gets good and cold you are almost required to walk out and start it. Unless it is kept somewhere warm. I guess. If not, I would like to see that kit. Something that controls an electric choke I guess? If not, it would be pointless to walk out and pump the gas, walk back in and hit the key fob. IMO.

THe pump should work. I haven't personally used one so I couldn't tell you from experience. It says it doesn't require a regulator, but I would run one anyways. I'm sure you already know, but you will need to also order push rod for the pump and the mounting plate. unless you already have them.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by towb3
Remote start on a carbed engine almost sounds pointless to me. When it gets good and cold you are almost required to walk out and start it. Unless it is kept somewhere warm. I guess. If not, I would like to see that kit. Something that controls an electric choke I guess? If not, it would be pointless to walk out and pump the gas, walk back in and hit the key fob. IMO.

THe pump should work. I haven't personally used one so I couldn't tell you from experience. It says it doesn't require a regulator, but I would run one anyways. I'm sure you already know, but you will need to also order push rod for the pump and the mounting plate. unless you already have them.
Well this is why i thought about the electric fuel pump... I have figured out that all one would have to do for remote start is have a power solenoid that would pull a cable connected to your choke, and then start the car. you can put the solenoid on your aux channel. this is what the ppl use on their older carbed cars.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
Ehhh!

I wouldn't mind that this winter. My Florida blood isn't liking this cold weather, and not looking for winter. I haven't used a mechanical yet, JTC tends to have given pretty good info in past threads on stuff I have searched for. A lot of the hotrod guys I run around with stand behind their mechanicals. The only reason Iwent to the electric against MOST of their advice is 1.) I am hard headed 2) I have heard of guys in the past having issues at the track with fuel cutoff from older mechanical units. Again, my choice is to go back to the mechanical, I don't think that will be an issue with remote start. I am going to check out the remote start and choke issue.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
Ehhh!

It looks like people are using a trunk popper/solenoid for what you are talking about. I don't know why I didn't ever think about that.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by towb3
It looks like people are using a trunk popper/solenoid for what you are talking about. I don't know why I didn't ever think about that.
yep that is right....The only reason why I am talking about going with the electric fuel pump is because it is already installed in my tank....All I need to do is regulate it..., I believe all I need to do is hook it up to my 12V, so when the car is on the pump is running...I wouldn't not my using a mechanical pump, but it robs power...even though it's very very small...to drive...I plan on getting an electric water pump, either belt driven, or regular, and electric fans...I am slowly rebuilding this junker so that she can be a bad truck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.