V8 swap problems - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

V8 swap problems

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
Beau

User is: OffLine
V8 swap problems

Got the 350 dropped in and tuned right. First trip to dyno it only made 240hp@3400rpm's. After only one hour of dyno tuning, it made 333hp@4200rpm's. Problem is, that I just slapped the motor in without addressing the suspension and brakes at all. Truck was originally a 4cyl truck. Front ride is extremely spongy and nose dives with even light braking. I know MOTORS, I dont know squat about suspension. All I have to do is add stiffer springs right????

And the brakes aren't cutting it. Old manual brakes. probably not much I can do about that but be more careful on the road.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:57 AM   #2
LS1 87 S10 Blazer

Re: V8 swap problems

gbody,

I just finished my v8 swap and made some brake and suspension changes you might be interested in. First off I added heavy duty shocks which made a pretty big improvement on the overall handling. I wouldn't mess with the springs unless you want to change your ride height. (correct me if I'm wrong fellas). I'm looking into a heavier sway bar to help control the "roll" of the truck. Brakes... I added the bigger brake booster marked ST from a 4x4 s10 to ease the pressure needed on the pedal, and cross drilled rotors from a buisiness I see regularly on ebay. My truck is also lowered 3". Overall I'm pleased with this combination.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:28 AM   #3
4x4 v6 blazer

lil hint, check out g-bodies and some b-bodies. They have alot we can use like brakes and such. For a brake master check out an impala from the late 70s-early 80s. When I'm done researching it all I'll try to post more. I'm pretty sure I found a way to go to 11.5 rotors in the front but its gonna be swaping alot of parts but they are all gonna be stock GM stuff you can find at a junk yard.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Beau

Well, like I said, the front suspension is pretty much still stock 4 cylinder equipment. It does sit really low in the front but if stiffer shocks will make the spongyness bearable, I'll try that. I would really rather avoid spring swaps. The weight of the motor dropped the front. How do I drop the rear? These must seem like dumb questions but I've always dealt with big bodied cars.

Concerning the brakes. What do you think I can use from G body and B body cars. Thats my specialty. At the moment I have 2 running El Camino's, 1 malibu wagon project, and a 4 door malibu parts car. Also, if you need any parts, let me know. But the S10 has manual brakes. With a good quick speed burst, I have to almost stand on the brake pedal to get decent braking. I'm really thinking this will be something that I'll just have to learn to deal with.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:27 AM   #5
TrailBlazin'

A cheap and easy way to drop the rear is blocks. 30 bucks and you can drop it up to 3 inches. Summit sells them and you can even go to a Pep Boys to find drop blocks. They pretty much just lift the axle up to the truck, thus lowering the body. You might need new shocks for them though. Go to the "Droppin' It "Section of the forum and you can find TONS of info on it.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:37 PM   #6
old skoolin'

Almost a 100 hp gain from tuning You musta had something SERIOUSLY wrong..lol. Back on topic though, whenever you swap out a V8 into a 4 banger truck...its pretty much common knowledge to put springs in out of a V6 extended cab truck. With a iron head V8 it's going to sqaut about 2" in the front, with an aluminum head V8 it'll squat about 1" in the front.

Cheap way to lower the rear is like said before....blocks. But with your new found power, blocks are going to give you wheel hop like a mo fo, i'd suggest lowering leafs and some sort of traction device such as Caltrac's. As far as brakes goes....your on your own as far as finding price effective ways. but i would start with changing to power brakes.

Last edited by MetalJunkie; 10-20-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
footbraker

12 bolt narrowed for S10, ladder bars, new brakes
http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2739
Old 10-21-2004, 08:15 PM   #8
LS1 87 S10 Blazer

I took my lowering blocks out while in the process of doing the swap and went to lowered leaf springs. However, you trade one problem for another. Lowered leafs tend to be very prone to wheel hop as well if you don't use some sort of traction device with them. I went with a product from active suspension. I haven't got this installed yet, but i think it will do the trick.
http://www.activesuspension.com/
Old 10-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #9
RUSTHOLYUM

ya a big body MC would prbably work a bit,along with some slotted rotors and ceramic breaks.
Ill agree with the spring change,you just added 150plus(more?) pounds under the hood...so some better spring rate from v6 springs I would seriously consider,it will help roll and overall performance with added help from decent shocks.If your looking to go cheap on leveling out the rear ,blocks are the way,i would get steel blocks for strength,I dont think aluminum's will hold up to 300 ponies.Trailmaster has lift/lowering blocks that are nice and tuff,you can get them at local 4x4 speed shops.Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #10

As far as suspension goes, I wanted to stiffen (sp?)
up the front-end so I got intouch with Moog performance
parts and told them what model truck I had, what I was
doing (V8 swap), and what I was going to use the truck
for (Friday night racer/Weekend toy) without lowering
my truck because I'm just not into that.
Below is the info. that they told me.

1985 Chevy S10 original Coil spring Moog #5660 rated @ 1538 Lbs.
Suggested Coil spring Moog #5664 rated @ 1800 Lbs.

MOOG Automotive
1-800-851-7052
Tech. Support = 1-800-325-8886
Cust. Service = 1-800-323-5473
Old 10-22-2004, 10:07 PM   #11

I am in the middle of my swap and from your post I am glad I am addressing the issues you have. Mine is a 92 S10 and I found some 98-03 blazer front dual piston brakes for the front and I found an 8.5 disc brake rearend. Since I put the engine in the truck, the header tubes are hitting the control arms because I have the 3 inch springs. I had to buy 2 inch spindles with a 1 inch spring from Bell tech. I also bought 12 way adjustable shocks for the truck (QA1's.) I also bought the Hotchkis front and rear sway bars.
Hope you get it all worked out.

Bubba
Old 10-22-2004, 10:29 PM   #12
RUSTHOLYUM

hey ITSOEZ,never knew they offered duals on them blazers,is that direct bolt on??(front)
Old 10-22-2004, 10:59 PM   #13

When I put a V8 in my Blazer the front suspension was very spongy. I did some research & found out that the springs for a later model blazer with a 4.3 are the same diameter as the springs for a 2.8 but they have a higher spring rate. I cut 1 coil from them & it rides good. The 4.3 springs are able to handle the extra weight of a V8 better.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:16 AM   #14

I would just go ahead and swap the springs out to ZQ8 springs for a 4.3 or something like that. That and a decent set of shocks should set you straight. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear but hey it's the only way to get it balanced out right.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:54 AM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by silkysmooth
hey ITSOEZ,never knew they offered duals on them blazers,is that direct bolt on??(front)
Yes they are a direct fit, BUT you have to get the spindles to go with them. The 98-03 V6 blazers have a sealed bearing hub, not like a normal spindle with the shaft on it. The have the DP brakes and if you want drop spindles, prepare to bring the cash---270 bucks compared to the 125 bucks for the "normal" ones.
If it isnt one thing, its 3.
Holler if you got any more Q's.

Bubba
Old 10-23-2004, 04:36 AM   #16

Dual piston brakes

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...929471985&rd=1
Old 10-23-2004, 06:48 AM   #17
4x4 v6 blazer

V8S10.org :: View topic - "B" Body Brakes...

http://v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php...a25daaefa50834

Here ya go B-body brakes only probem is they have a lil bumpsteer. They have a link on how to fix it if you read it all.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:52 AM   #18

I did my swap last year in my 87 ext cab s10 and these are the things I learned. Stock height is no good. Fitting the motor and tranny can be done but is hard. After putting in a 3 inch body lift the tranny no longer touchs the floorboard and you dont have to put the hei in after installing the motor. The headers are clear of everything. The stock springs were fine but not good enough so I installed springs that were supose to give a 3 inch lift with v6 but for my v8 gave me 2 inch lift and added a 3 inch leaf to the rear and with the tool box and external fuel tank gave me a 2 inch lift. Perfect. Added 29.50 thornbirds and the truck can handle what ever is thrown at it. I sometimes haul very heavy loads so I installed air springs which are just the ticket. Brakes I have not got that fixed yet. Stopping is a problem. I admit I have no idea on earth how I am going to get the brakes to work better but am trying to figure it out. I do still have the stock ext cab springs if anyone wants them.

just-speed
Old 10-23-2004, 07:52 AM   #19

I did my swap last year in my 87 ext cab s10 and these are the things I learned. Stock height is no good. Fitting the motor and tranny can be done but is hard. After putting in a 3 inch body lift the tranny no longer touchs the floorboard and you dont have to put the hei in after installing the motor. The headers are clear of everything. The stock springs were fine but not good enough so I installed springs that were supose to give a 3 inch lift with v6 but for my v8 gave me 2 inch lift and added a 3 inch leaf to the rear and with the tool box and external fuel tank gave me a 2 inch lift. Perfect. Added 29.50 thornbirds and the truck can handle what ever is thrown at it. I sometimes haul very heavy loads so I installed air springs which are just the ticket. Brakes I have not got that fixed yet. Stopping is a problem. I admit I have no idea on earth how I am going to get the brakes to work better but am trying to figure it out. I do still have the stock ext cab springs if anyone wants them.

just-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.