T56 6speed in a 4x4? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

T56 6speed in a 4x4?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #1

T56 6speed in a 4x4?

Hey everyone, Well, I did a search and haven't came up with anything. I was wondering if I could put an LT1/T56 combo into my 94 S10 Blazer 4x4...I want to keep the 4 wheel drive, and I know that the T56 isn't made for 4 wheel...is there any way to change the output shaft on the T56 to mate it to the NP207 transfer case? if anyone has done this, please let me know! I have a complete 94 Camaro Z28 LT1 6 speed that I could pull everything out of, computer and everything. Thanks in advance
Old 05-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
ALMOST DONE

User is: OffLine
Re: T56 6speed in a 4x4?

there are only 2 ppl i have heard of that have done the t56 to 4wd...they are actually both AWD setups but they could be 4wd just as easy...one was a custom car builder troy trepiner (sp) and the other guy was something i saw on the internet...so it can def. be done....i remember finding the link when i was researching for my t56 swap.... the first car i mentioned used to be in a older summit catalog as the centerfold..it was a older hot rod
Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
LT1 S10 Expert

User is: OffLine

lownslow is probably talking about some dude with a sy/ty that basically braised an "adapter" on his tailhousing and then bolted on an AWD t-case. I believe that the output shaft is similar on the AWD t-cases and I'd assume that it is similar on 4x4 cases as well.

If you're asking if there is a "mass-produced" adapter for a T56, the answer is NO. ...or at least not that I know of. I literally had a 4x4 truck and an AWD t-case ready to do exactly what you're thinking about and couldn't make the two mate up...

A few guys did suggest that you could make an intermediate shaft that was basically a short "driveshaft" that went between the tranny tailhousing and then mated to the front of the t-case - basically a "divorced" setup. you'd have to brace the t-case which would be one of the hard parts. I'm not sure there is a whole lot of room down there after the tranny, but I'm sure it could work.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the help, and I am going to be doing some research on the subject..If I decide it is something that I want to tackle, then I will keep you all posted on what is going on, thanks once again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.