Swapping? Heres A List Of Parts And Answered Questions! - Page 15 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Swapping? Heres A List Of Parts And Answered Questions!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #701
Trust Me

User is: OffLine
Re: Swapping? Heres A List Of Parts And Answered Questions!

Quote: Originally Posted by f150dailydragger
i would like to add for the 4x4 350 install u can use a short oil filter from stp and it clears the front diff. rather than using the remote oil filter system.
I wouldn't suggest it. I don't know exactly why it wouldn't work, but it sounds like it would make a huge mess when changing the oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #702

Hey guys, I have a 96 2.2L auto.. I am looking to put a 350/700r4 in my truck and keep A/C.. What are some good tips, links, info on doing this swap.. I also want to keep it automatic but change it to the floor. Any help is greatly appreciated..
Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #703
Mr. Shiny Cadillackness

I have a pre 87 350 block I am currently working on. I intend to place it in my 01 extended cab and was wonder what I'd need to do about a driveshaft. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #704
ShiftAutoworks

Wow! A lot of reading. About to start buying parts. Have a 2000 4.3 2wd est cab. Want to go to to 5.7. Correct me if I'm wrong.....need: 5.7 motor, computer, harness, headers? Already running flex a lite e-fans. Will I have to move/replace the radiator? My fans are pullers not pushers so I don't think I can put them on the front side of the rad. also unclear on the motor mounts. Will i need new ones? I'm going to need to pass smog in California so I would also like to know of any potential issues with exhaust path and catalytic converters/O2 sensors. Not sure if it matters but my truck is bagged all around and is about 1/2" from the ground when laid out. Any help is appreciated. Starting the motor hunt this afternoon.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #705

Hey guys... Again.. got bunch of questions.. I have a 96 single cab going from a 4cyl to a 350 carb motor.. I have mounts headers and radiator for it.. Do i need a special oil pan? and does the firewall need to be notched or cut anywhere for the motor to fit? How should i set up the fuel system? Put a new fuel cell in it or can i use my stock fuel tank and pump and run it to the motor some how? Anyone have any good websites for s10 v8 parts?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #706
Trust Me

Quote: Originally Posted by IndigoSlowX
I have a pre 87 350 block I am currently working on. I intend to place it in my 01 extended cab and was wonder what I'd need to do about a driveshaft. Anyone have any thoughts?
measure twice, cut once...

No really, all you need to do is get the motor in, and same with the tranny you're going to use, then you'll measure from middle of middle to U-joint, on the shaft, then from the transmission output shaft to where the opposing center of the u-joint, would mount on the rearend, then bring it to a drive line shop and have them build one for you.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #707
Trust Me

Quote: Originally Posted by ShiftAuto
Will I have to move/replace the radiator? My fans are pullers not pushers so I don't think I can put them on the front side of the rad.
not necessarily. It all depends on how much room you have, once the motor is in place. Plus, you might want to think about updating the radiator itself, and recessing it into the core support like most the guys on here do, to free up extra room in the front.

also unclear on the motor mounts. Will i need new ones?
yes. In short you'll need 2.8l frame mounts, and a set of v8 motor mounts. you can find them easily on;

http://v8s10.com/

http://s10v8.com/

summit & jegs as well have kits readily availble, as do those^^

I'm going to need to pass smog in California so I would also like to know of any potential issues with exhaust path and catalytic converters/O2 sensors. Not sure if it matters but my truck is bagged all around and is about 1/2" from the ground when laid out. Any help is appreciated. Starting the motor hunt this afternoon.
For those questions, I can't answer, but if you're in Cali-it wouldn't hurt to read up on what needs to be applied to retain legality amongst your swap, also go stop by the California member's section and ask there, they may have a better source to lead you to, to find out what you need for keeping it legal.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #708
Trust Me

[quote=Red96chevy;7686619]Hey guys... Again.. got bunch of questions.. I have a 96 single cab going from a 4cyl to a 350 carb motor.. I have mounts headers and radiator for it.. Do i need a special oil pan?[quote]is the truck 2wd or 4wd? If 2wd, no, all you need is a standard rear sump style pan. 4wd, yes a special pan is required.

Quote: Originally Posted by Red96chevy
and does the firewall need to be notched or cut anywhere for the motor to fit?
it all depends on how the motor goes in. I've seen guys do swaps here, that haven't touched the firewall, where some members (myself included) had to modify the firewall, mainly on the passenger side, where the header is located, you can avoid this by running manifolds, but it's honestly not much. I just beat it in a little with a BFH, and it fit fine.

Quote: Originally Posted by Red96chevy
How should i set up the fuel system? Put a new fuel cell in it or can i use my stock fuel tank and pump and run it to the motor some how? Anyone have any good websites for s10 v8 parts?
What type of engine are you running? Close to stock? Mild Performance? Strip? Carbed or Fuel Injected?

There's several options depending on your fuel consumtion needs. Carbs with an electric pump (such as the stock pump in the tank, and aftermarket electrip pumps) will require a fuel pressure regulator to bring the PSI down to 7-9psi, where a FI application won't require one. Once again, a little more information is needed from you before I answer this question best

websites;

www.v8s10.com

www.s10v8.com

also, using the search feature here, in the V8 section will get you plenty of results as well.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #709
Trust Me

'96-'00 5.7 Vortech Swap Guys!

Thanks to Cpolaris502 (Cory), for showing me this link. There's a lot of awesome information here on guys that are doing the vortec 5.7 swap, I don't know much about it, but I see alot of questions come through here in regards to it, so please check this link, if you can't find your information here!

http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=32282
Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #710

1993 4.3L Vortec with the 4L60E tranny

I'm looking all over here, S10V8.com, Google and elsewhere and finding mixed answers. Maybe someone can help in clearing some of this up?

1. When I switch to the 350 V8, do I have to get special adapters for the transmission?
2. Would I have to move the transmission and get a shortened driveshaft?
3. Having a Vortec, what ECU should I be on the lookout for to put in place of my stock ECU?
4. Is it better to get a stock 350 out of a 93+ Camaro/Corvette and rebuild it with (stock) new parts off Summit or should I get a 350 short block from my local Pick N Pull and just get parts off Summit? (Fuel injection is my want. And, I assume if I built up my own 350, I'd have to get an aftermarket ECU setup for everything else?)
Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #711

Answer to california legality, last i checked the motor must be same year or newer and must retain all of it's emissions equipment. other than that i don't remember anything else. but I'm planning on dropping a 5.3L lsx in my blazer and i am wondering what i need for the cooling system and what transmission would be a good transmission t back the 5.3L...i plan on building the motor to atleast 400hp, with a narrowed 8.8" posi with 3.73s unless i use a t56 then it'll be 4.10s. tunnel mods don't scare me much. also how do i get my gauges and everything to work with the 5.3L ecu? do i need to rewire the whole truck? do i need to upgrade the fuel lines with the pump?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #712

what if i wanted to drop a 350 out of a 67 chevy nova with a matching transmission? obviously i would probably need a new wiring harness...the motor has a radiator i can use but what else would i need to do? bear with me im new to this.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #713

new to forum. just picked up a 95 s10.. has a 350 with turbo 350 swap started. headman headers. no exhaust.

really a hack job so far. holes in floor for exhaust and shifter.

first issue is gas tank. motor is carb and the fuel pump does not pump. what gas tank can i swap inthat is another issue

i will start a new blog with pictures. i can start and run motor with gas added to carb. timing is off. but
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #714

Hey Guys!

I'm looking to compile a basic list of small misc. parts for my k swap. Here's the list of my questions:

> My motor didn't come w/ an Air intake temp sensor. Can an IAT from a b-series work, or only a k-series?

> What rad hoses do I need to run my k20a2 w/ stock eg/ek rad?

> Also, what diameter is the vacuum hose connecting the Air Intake Check Valve to the intake manifold? Can any garden hose variant be used, or factory style hose recommended?

> If running a heater core w/ k20a2 in my ek, can a b-series heater core hose work with the k-series heater core water outlet, or only the k-series heater core hose? Can anyone post pics, that would greatly help.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #715

I have a 2001 2.2 5 speed looking on doing a v8 swap
I like to keep it as a 5 speed or make it a six speed
Any help will help alot
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #716

ok first i must admit i havent read through every post i only got to the 5th page before i was tired of people with 4.3 and 2.2's aking the same questions and the other various bs in between

that being said i didnt see much on a 2.8 swap? wtf? i saw a few people wanting more but no answers so mabey someone can help us out.

i have an 89 tbi 2.8 with the 5 speed trans. i dont plan on a swap anytime soon but with 250000+ miles the old 2.8 has to give out at some point (and the lack of power is a bit anoying).
so please correct me if im wrong but from what ive gathered to do a swap for cheap as possible i will need: motor mounts (but no frame mods due to being a 2.8), headers, a bell housing off a 4.3 (to re-use the 5 speed), a radiator from a 4.3, and a wiring harness and computer to run it (would taking one &/or both from a wreked fullsize work?), and then just the odds and ends to make it all work right. right? or am missing something very important?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #717

Quote: Originally Posted by 1LowS-Dime
1993 4.3L Vortec with the 4L60E tranny

I'm looking all over here, S10V8.com, Google and elsewhere and finding mixed answers. Maybe someone can help in clearing some of this up?

1. When I switch to the 350 V8, do I have to get special adapters for the transmission?
2. Would I have to move the transmission and get a shortened driveshaft?
3. Having a Vortec, what ECU should I be on the lookout for to put in place of my stock ECU?
4. Is it better to get a stock 350 out of a 93+ Camaro/Corvette and rebuild it with (stock) new parts off Summit or should I get a 350 short block from my local Pick N Pull and just get parts off Summit? (Fuel injection is my want. And, I assume if I built up my own 350, I'd have to get an aftermarket ECU setup for everything else?)
1. the 4.3 is basicaly a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off... in short, everything is the same including the tranny.
2. you shouldn't have to shorten the driveshaft. the motor will sit farther forward then backwards. and you may need a new tranny mount. dont quote me on all of this.
3. since you have a newer block, you have the ecu. your comp can be tuned to run a V8. regardless of the size.
4. either way you end up rebuilding the motor. it would be less work to buy a block and do whatever you want from it. either you have to tear it down, get the block prepped, buy parts, install em, and tune everything, or start at prepping it. you never know what bolts will get stuck and seized or whatnot. gets irritating.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #718

to piggy back (no homo) off what OP said,

true vortec motors, if you have the 4.3 you can be tuned to run a V8 SBC (not sure if anything is different on BBC but i doubt it). running a carb'd motor may kill gauges. signals run through various computers. you can replace em with mechanical gauges.

if you are carb'd or TBI you can run anything you want and keep gauges. there aren't any computers so you will be fine. most carb vehicles run mechanical gauges anyway. you can also buy standalone comps if you want fuel injected. and if using the 4l60e, you can get one for that as well. Jegs has a V8 kit for S10s that was around 500 last time i checked. came with mounts, oil pan, oil pickup line, trans adapter (meaning the mount 700r4 and 4l60e are the same tranny and all bolt up to SBC motors. only difference is electronic vs vacuum) and headers i believe for a 2wd. not sure if it works for the 4wd trucks.

for a tranny you can even use a chevy T5 if you want manual. but i'm not 100% on that swap.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #719

Re: V8 S10

Quote: Originally Posted by otherd
Unfortunately, their website doesn't go that far back. Sent them an e-mail though. Thanks.
I have this on favorites 2007 here it is
Sport Truck On 'Roids -- Our Chevy S-10 Gets The V-8 It Should Have Had!

TK2006-05
Project S-10K continues with the insertion of a GM 350CID V-8 crate engine in the former V-6 engine bay. The Trucksters show you all the steps to make this work -- from re-using the stock front pulleys and driveshaft to fitting headers and a new t...
Go To Show plus I do have another web site with much more detail
Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #720

A shift kit is called for in trans by all venders, an upgrade for the extra power.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #721

Quote: Originally Posted by gertude.shayna

Hey Guys!

I'm looking to compile a basic list of small misc. parts for my k swap. Here's the list of my questions:

> My motor didn't come w/ an Air intake temp sensor. Can an IAT from a b-series work, or only a k-series?

> What rad hoses do I need to run my k20a2 w/ stock eg/ek rad?

> Also, what diameter is the vacuum hose connecting the Air Intake Check Valve to the intake manifold? Can any garden hose variant be used, or factory style hose recommended?

> If running a heater core w/ k20a2 in my ek, can a b-series heater core hose work with the k-series heater core water outlet, or only the k-series heater core hose? Can anyone post pics, that would greatly help.
Try this site it looks great to me. ZR2 MIKE's 5.7 V8 BlaZeR2
Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #722

Re: V8 S10

Quote: Originally Posted by mdash
I have this on favorites 2007 here it is
Sport Truck On 'Roids -- Our Chevy S-10 Gets The V-8 It Should Have Had!

TK2006-05
Project S-10K continues with the insertion of a GM 350CID V-8 crate engine in the former V-6 engine bay. The Trucksters show you all the steps to make this work -- from re-using the stock front pulleys and driveshaft to fitting headers and a new t...
Go To Show plus I do have another web site with much more detail
heres another site with good info and pics ZR2 MIKE's 5.7 V8 BlaZeR2

Last edited by mdash; 04-28-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: must put in show number in search for correct show TK2006-05
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #723

Ok when it comes to the swap i heard some things and would like some clarification. I am goin to be swapin in a 350 into my blazer. First question if im goin from a 4.3 vortec to a 5.7 that aint? I have heard talk that the tranny will not hold up with the engine a 4L60E. Does anything differ if its 4x4? I plan on doing a swap from a blazer but would like to know any complications i might come across and any tips that might be offered. Ive been asking around and i was directed to this forum so please help. And What is the list of parts needed again? and what is interchangeable?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #724

Quote: Originally Posted by Beeker
Ok Boys and Girls, I know a lot of you have questions on doing a swap out of your poor 4 bangers or mere 4.3s to run with the pride of having a V8. First Id like to Say, YES, it can be done. Here is some Common known engines that will fit.

Now I know you can bore out and everything, but anything it that range will fit with no modification to the firewall. 427s and 454s, CAN be done, but involves more serious firewall work, and is only recommended if you’re really into it. Keep in mind; ANYTHING is possible with Time, Money, and a Welder

-----------------------------2.2 L EFI>>>>>> 350 V8 EFI------------------
Now Ill start off with you 2.2 guys, since your struggling for power the most. First of all, the swap of a 2.2 requires a lot of time and patience. To make this easier, I’m doing a fuel-injected engine to a fuel-injected engine. Meaning there’s no need for gas tank modifications. If you go from carbureted to EFI, or vice versa then you need a new Gas tank unit for the appropriate method.

Ok, now lets start.

THESE PARTS *NEED* TO BE REMOVED-

Engine
Tranny
Radiator
Harness
Computer

THESE PARTS STAY-

Master Brake cylinder
AC/Heater boxes

THESE PARTS WILL BE *NEEDED* -

350 Engine (COMPLETE - IE Alternator, Intake, Fuel Injection unit, ect)
Engine mount adaptors (See links at bottom of thread)
Headers (See links at bottom of thread)
Tranny
Computer
Harness
Radiator
Electric FANS

*** Note, when buying parts, keep in mind what engine you have ect, make sure that your harness will work with the engine, the computer is for a Standard/Auto tranny ECT. Make sure everything’s right B4 you dig in****

PARTS THAT CAN BE USED FROM A 2.2, BUT RECOMMEND REPLACING -

Coolant over flow tank
Washer fluid tank
Drive shaft (will need to be modified if you keep it)
Rear End

Ok. That’s the gist of it. Like I said, there’s A LOT of work involved in it for a 2.2>350. If you have it hired out, expect an easy $3k labor bill, On top of the parts costs.

(Remember you can always ebay that 2.2 and parts as well to make a little income back, some people like all Show no go )

INSTALLING -

If you’re doing it yourself, get a manual from the links at the bottom of the page, and read up. Common engine knowledge helps, (IE what’s where for what purpose) oh yeah, and you need to be able to turn a ratchet . Basically, Run the Harness and computer first. It will go in the same way the old one came out. Your probably going to have to have a custom harness made for some things like gauges and stuff. The Manual at the bottom will tell you all about that. But once the harness is run and installed with the Computer, then you should mount the tranny. This is where the drive shaft modification comes in, depending on what tranny you got, it will prob. have to be shortened. I recommend a new drive shaft, even though the old one IS possible, for a couple of reasons. A) I new one will be stronger, and will fit properly. B) It will save you time of replacing the old one down the road if it does break. You have a 350 now, so your going to want to go fast, that skinny pipe isn’t going to hold up to too much. Once the tranny is in, drop in the big bad 350. A lot of people ask about front spring suspension, I went from 4.3 > 350 with no change in height, 2.2 springs maybe weaker (but at least it will look lower) But once the engine is in, plug it all in, Run coolant lines, ect. And put the new Corvette Radiator in, or whatever new radiator you got for the v8 application. May need some custom mountings, but nothing too bad. And then, hook up your electric fans. I HIGHLY recommend dual 14" fans in FRONT of the core support. Mine work WONDERS and with just a little back notching of a plastic easy to get at grill instead of messing with the firewall to get one between the Radiator/engine. Now except for a few odds /n ends, that will pretty much cover it.

---------------------------4.3 TBI to 350 TBI----------------------------------

To make this easier, I’m doing a fuel-injected engine to a fuel-injected engine. Meaning there’s no need for gas tank modifications. If you go from carbureted to EFI, or vice versa then you need a new Gas tank unit for the appropriate method.

Your job is A LOT simpler in most cases. But don’t let that fool you, its still a chore to do.

If you have a 4.3EFI from 87-93 TBI, if you get a V8 from that same time frame that’s TBI, you have little or no wiring issues, everything that plugs into the 4.3, will plug into the 350. When we did mine, we used everything from the 4.3 on the 350, including Throttle Body, Power steering, Water pump, Harness, and computer. But if you have a vortec, and are switching out, you need to pull harness and computer, and you need a complete 350, as most parts wont transfer. So with that in mind, here are the parts lists -

THESE PARTS *NEED* TO BE REMOVED-

Engine.
(If 94+ vortec to any other 350, Harness and Computer)

THESE PARTS STAY-

Master Brake cylinder
AC/Heater boxes
Tranny
Drive train
Radiator (pull it to remove/install the engines though)

PARTS that will be *NEEDED* -

Engine
Engine mounts (See links at bottom of thread)
Headers (See links at bottom of thread)
Electric fans
Harness and computer (if 94+ swap)
***NOTE, when purchasing harness/computer or having a harness made, make SURE it’s for the proper Tranny and dash setup!!! Hate to plug it in, and not have it work!!! ****

Basically, its the same install path as the 2.2, get your harness in, and computer, install the new engine mounts, then drop the engine in, plug it in, Install headers. Put rad. Back in. once again, I recommend the fans in front of the Core support. Get in and test it out. ect.

****For Both Installations- if you want the fan in FRONT of the V8, and behind the core support, you need to shorten the drive shaft, scoot the tranny back, pound some room on the firewall for engine tabs, and Distributor Clearance, and slide it all back on the Engine mount adaptors. Keep in mind, that’s makes extremely hard to do menial tasks/tune ups, such as Replace Spark plugs, install new Wires, and Run exhaust. ****

Now this was just a ROUGH sketch of a swap, and it answers most questions, with a few recommendations, here are the links for the manuals, and parts -

JTR - lots of people use these guys

Advance adaptors, will have all your answers here too

Any MORE questions, post them in here, We'll be glad to help, plus this will clear out the clutter in the V8 forum, about everyone asking about swaps

Thanks guys, and many happy cylinders!
Say I have an entire 94 trans am set-up. Can I use the computer and harness from this?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #725

Also, if it is an automatis to and from, can I use the tranny from the TA
Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #726

lots of info here I better get to reading so i can start on mine...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #727

whats up guys i got a 94 s10 with a 4,3l v6 tbi vortech with a 4l60e i want to swap with a 350 5.7l 4bolt main tbi i have out of my dads 89 silverado 2500 i know i have to get a few things i want to know what i will need to change or keep on my stock wire harness?...i really like to keep my stock harness as much as possible if i have to change a connector or two thats fine.... i seen a shot on spike tv that did a s10 v8 swap with a stock wire harness n just used adaptors on the connection plugs if somebody know what n where to get this please let me know and any help would be greatfull thank you
Old 05-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #728

I got a 85 s10 with 2.8 v6 4 speed. I have a mild 305 out of a c10 I want to put into the s10 both are carded btw. I know I need motor mounts new radiator ect. What I would like to know would be can I use the 4 speed in the truck with a diffrent bell housing? If not can I adapt a t-56 (6 speed ) to an old 350? I can get a sawsal 4 speed to put in but would like overdrive but would that be worth my time?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #729

i have a 97 4.3 with a 5spd and i was wondering if i went with the 96-00 5.7 vortec would a t56 bolt up to it? also wht kind of mods woulf i need to make to the driveshaft and rearend?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #730

Hope this is the right section to ask, i'm installing a early block 383 with straight plug 2.02 heads with the Headman conversion headers and are running into the old spark plug boot hitting the header problem. At a show i ran into a fellow who told me he had the same problem and got a special set of shorter spark plugs for this problem. So went to my local jobber to ask and got the deer in the head lights look. Anyone here heard of these plugs? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #731

New here and have a question does anyone know if and how to install the complete a/c system from a 2.2 2001 s10 on a 1984 c10 with a 350 ? Can this be done and what's involved I want to put a/c in my prostreet c10 and have the complete a/c system from a 2001 2.2 s10 I have used the spindles and rear out of it already and would love some a/c any help or input will be greatly appreciated
Old 06-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #732

Talking Re: Swapping? Heres A List Of Parts And Answered Questions!

Quote: Originally Posted by S-10 Pilot
Hope this is the right section to ask, i'm installing a early block 383 with straight plug 2.02 heads with the Headman conversion headers and are running into the old spark plug boot hitting the header problem. At a show i ran into a fellow who told me he had the same problem and got a special set of shorter spark plugs for this problem. So went to my local jobber to ask and got the deer in the head lights look. Anyone here heard of these plugs? Thanks in advance.
Accel makes a block hugger short style plug or you can use the heat protective boots for the wires they are realitively inexpensive I've had several s10's with sbc in them that is what I use and if you can afford them change to the hooker super competition 6 piece headers they are well worth the money instead of the Hedmans however if you can't afford or find a uses pair cut the flange in between each exhaust port this will make solving header gasket leaks extremely easy and instead of header gaskets but exhaust manifold gaskets so you can drop them in and not spend all day fixing the header leak if you have not run into this problem yet you will
In
Old 06-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #733

Quote: Originally Posted by Pro street c10
Accel makes a block hugger short style plug or you can use the heat protective boots for the wires they are realitively inexpensive I've had several s10's with sbc in them that is what I use and if you can afford them change to the hooker super competition 6 piece headers they are well worth the money instead of the Hedmans however if you can't afford or find a uses pair cut the flange in between each exhaust port this will make solving header gasket leaks extremely easy and instead of header gaskets but exhaust manifold gaskets so you can drop them in and not spend all day fixing the header leak if you have not run into this problem yet you will
In
Thank you Pro Street for the info, Already cut the flanges, Accel is the ticket. thanks again.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #734

Have 97 extended cab with the 4.3 vortec putting an older 350 and TH400 what are the major things I need to eliminate change and is there anything I can keep
Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #735

Hi everyone I'm doing my first v8 swap in a blazer I have a 4.3 radiator but someone stole it but my buddy have one from a 2.5 will it work for the swap....thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #736

Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting a very nice 03 ZR2 with a 4.3L and a 5 speed manual transmission. It's a four wheel drive. Hopefully I'll be getting it this Monday or Tuesday.

Anyways, I was thinking about doing a V8 swap on it a little later down the road. I want to save up the money for a nicer motor for it as well as all the necessary parts. Also, I want to drive it with the V6 in order to fully appreciate what the difference is.

I'm fairly new to this whole concept of putting in a different motor and I was wondering where I should start researching on this? I want to do everything myself and I want to make sure I'm doing it properly. My main questions would be like what other parts I would need, if the transmission and other parts that are on the truck are compatible, ect.

Like I said, this is something I'll be doing much later in the lifetime of the truck, so I have quite a bit of time to read up on it.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #737

I've got a 94 sonnoma which I believe is tbi. In the original post says anything 94 or newer is vortec? Mine has no badging claiming it is so could I or should I go 5.7 tbi?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I827 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #738

im putting a 95 lt1 into my sonoma highrider i found mounts i have headers the transmissions are the same i have my old wiring harness and computer as well as the one's from the firebird donor car, i was told to use both computers or that i can have the gmc computer flashed to run the lt1 fuel system but that if i do so i have to buy a new stand alone harness for the lt1. i guess my question is what true and whats not please help
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #739
slowly dying

anyone out there have a 4x4 1st gen with a 383?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #740

Hey guys, FNG here.
I lost 50 IQ points wading through this thread

My 96 4x4, 4.3 blazer has a ton of miles and I want to do the 5.7 swap when the 4.3 finally gives up. my plan is to grab a 5.7 from a junkyard and rebuild it. my 4l60e is fresh and upgraded already, the axles I'm not worried about, I can build exhaust, going to use Taurus fans on a new stock radiator.
I'm clear on everything I need except this;
what years and models of engine harness will plug in to the chassis/dash harness of the blazer?
can I use anything from 1996-2000?

I sure appreciate all the footwork y'all have done to come up with this info
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #741
Islandbotoboy

Crazy amount of info. Gonna start my journey today.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #742

anybody know if i can swap a tbi 350 in a first gen, how bad is the wireing. im gonna try and do the swap this week end.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #743

I have a 91 s10 what all would I have to do to the truck to put a 350 in it, would I just have to put a new 5 speed in it and change the rear end out for a bigger one?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #744

I have a Gen I small block and I am in the process of stuffing it in my 98 2.2. i bought the trans dapt motor mount kit 9906. I am going to put a 700r4 trans. can i use my 94 driveshaft or will it not work because of the other trans that was in there before (NV1500). I'm going to use a 79 corvette radiator, and install electric fans from a taurus. I was also thinking if i would be able to use my pulley steup off my 94 4.3 on the small block. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #745

Question newbie swap questions..

what exactly would i have to change out of a 89 4.3 tbi s10 in order to put a 95 tahoe tbi 350 in it? Harness and computer wise?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #746

i have a question. anybody have any problems with the stock fuel pump from a 4.3 to a v8?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #747

I have a 1997 s10 4.3l vin code "w". I have aquired a 1997c1500with a 5.7l both engines are votec. What all is needed to swap the v8 into my s10. The truck was involved in an a
ccident, ins totaled the trk, didnt hurt the engine is fine. Could someone help me with what needs to be modified for the swap too work.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #748

Quote: Originally Posted by Vertigo
hey guys, I too am new to the engine swap. My current 4.3L V6 rocks! ...I just want more...hehe

I'm still trying to figure out what engine I wanna swap. Which is the most horsepower for the lightest weight? I'm trying to find a good engine with a good balance of "lots of power" vs "lightest weight" vs "most upgradeable". I was planning on doing the 350 swap, but then I was thinking maybe I could just supercharge a 305...get the same horsepower and less of the weight.

Basically I'm looking for a web-site or someone to call that would know engine weights, power, torque, and other specs on the engines like top speed, redline, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
How much would you sale your 4.3
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #749

im putting a crate 350 in a 92 s10. is it possible to use the old 6 cylinder wiring harness it by maybe capping some useless ends off or will i need a whole new harness
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #750
Grease Monkey

I see a lot of posting and not many replies but I will try my luck.

I have a 98 z and a 96 2wd s10. I wrecked the z and am going off the deep end. The frame is bent so I need a new one. My dad talked me into taking both and making one. So here's the plan.

I'm going to remove the 2wd body, motor (4.3), and trans. Then drop in a 5.7l and a bigger trans with a np241 transfer case. Then I am planning on doing a sfa swap on the frame using dana 44 axles. then take the zr2 body and drop it on the modified chassis. Crazy I know.

I have almost all the parts for the sfa swap and figured what the hell why not slap a v8 in it. I will be using everything from the zr2. Meaning I am using the a/c, radiator, brake booster, and all that crap.

I am wanting to know what I will need for the v8 part of this build. I know I will need motor, motor mount, headers, wiring harness, computer, electric fans. But with this being a 4wd am I going to need things like the specialized oil pan etc.

Thanks for the help if there is any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.