LT1 Question on steam vent pipe connection... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

LT1 Question on steam vent pipe connection...

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
LT1 Question on steam vent pipe connection...

I have an LT1 out of a 95' camaro and i have it carbuated. I am not sure exactly how to hook up the hose for the steam vent tube that comes out from the heads to the front of the motor on the passanger side of the intake. I have looked on line to see if i could get some help there, but i am not able to see a clear pic on how i need to connect it. I thought it was similar to a throttle body bypass but i am confused on if i need to hook the hose up to the little hose coming off the upper radiator hose or connect it with a T-fitting to the heater hose that drops into the top of the water pump near the thermostat housing. if someone could shead a little light on this that would be great!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #2

Re: LT1 Question on steam vent pipe connection...

any help???
Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
11 second station wagon

I put an fitting on the thermostat housing where the bleeder valve is and hooked it in there.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #4

but if i hook it in there then where would i bleed the system from? and wouldn't it do the same thing if i hooked it into where the upper rad hose has thet little pipe coming off of it?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #5

Well don't worry about it now i have it fixed... Does anyone know if a LT1 has a tendancy to have air pockets form more than a regular SBC?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
11 second station wagon

Quote: Originally Posted by kmand83
Well don't worry about it now i have it fixed... Does anyone know if a LT1 has a tendancy to have air pockets form more than a regular SBC?
Your using a sealed puke tank right?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #7

no... i don't have one of those... where can i get one and what does it do? Also is that the actual name for it or does it go by a different name?

Last edited by kmand83; 12-02-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #8

another question where and how does this tank mount into?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
good bye red, it was fun

If you are using a stock radiator you can just plumb the line into the little hose running into the top of the radiator, LT1s usually dont get anymore air pockets than a reg small block. you do not need a pressurized overflow tank unless you are using a C-4 radiator.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #10

i am using the stock radiator that cam in the camaro that the motor and trans came out of... i have it routed to the top of the radiator to the inlet right below the overflow outlet on the filler neck
Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #11

if do you have to have he manual bleeder valves in the waterneck (thermostat housing) and in the heater hose to completely get all air out of the motor? i don't have one in the heater hose but it is in the waterneck...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
good bye red, it was fun

Quote: Originally Posted by kmand83
if do you have to have he manual bleeder valves in the waterneck (thermostat housing) and in the heater hose to completely get all air out of the motor? i don't have one in the heater hose but it is in the waterneck...
That should be all you need. im pretty sure my camaro only has one
Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 AM   #13
11 second station wagon

I used the pressurized tank from a quad 4 achieva or the likes. I seriously doubt it would be a good Idea to run that line to the Cap puke outlet if thats what your saying. Also I usually drill a small hole in the thermostat to help water bleed the bottom end of air pockets. But there are other ways of doing this.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #14

Well i am not running the hose to the overflow outlet... there is a outlet under that one that it is connected to. i have an overflow tank on this motor as well. I just thought that you were talking about a different tank or something. I will take some pic today an post them on here to see if it is done correctly. I also thought that in the hose that comes from the heater core there is a air bleeder valve that is in the stock camaro... this is what i am asking about. when facing the motor from the front look at the water pump and it is the spout that is on the top left behind the thermostat housing and poins straight up. the hose that connects there i beleive has a rubber elbow and a alluminum section with this bleeder valve...
Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #15

alright... here are the pics of what i am talking about. let me know if you
think i have it hooked up right...

Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #16
11 second station wagon

Just see if that works. Thats not the way I did mine but it looks like it should work as long as you have an overflow tank (just noticed the line is kinked there). The fuel pump needs to be moved to the rear as the engine heat will get it hot enough to leave you on the side of the road... as well as they don't pull very well they like to push.

Last edited by The Stunningman; 12-03-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #17

well i have been working my way to the fuel pump issue.I was waiting to move it when i install the new sending unit into the tank. The line that you see being kinked isn't reallythe inlet to the overflow tank. it is the hose that drains the overflow when there is too much fluid pushed out of the system.I have seen this today and i have fixed it. in the last pic there is a hose that goes up from behind the thermostat housing and over to the fender that i believe needs a bleeder valve in it as well. i have seen some pics of what it looks like stock and i apears to have one in that section of pipe... It looks like it is needed there to bleed air out of the block part of the system and the one on the water pump bleeds it out of the radiator part. Let me know if you feel this is a wrong train of thought...

Last edited by kmand83; 12-03-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #18

Is there only one or two people in this entire forum that has or knows anything about an LT1?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #19
11 second station wagon

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...oolant+routing

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/re...t%20camaro.pdf
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #20

hey man these web sites have alot of great info in them. The pics your looking at^^^ are from a 67 camaro of mine and they are installing the same thing into a 68. the only difference is that i have a manual t56 and they are using a 4L60E...I have tried to post this same add on the camaroforum.com website in the 4th generation section and they are leaving me hangin ...and this is a motor that a good majority should have an deal with. i always have great luck on this site for help. Thanks for all your help i atleast know i have it in the right location. by pure chance did you find somethng about the manual bleeding of air pockets out of the motor?...

Last edited by kmand83; 12-04-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.