LT1 into S10 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

LT1 into S10

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 06:02 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
LT1 into S10

Which accessories will need to be replaced and which can stay? cooling system what needs to be done to support the v8, as with the fuel system what modifications need to be done? Headers do they make LT1 headers that will fit without any frame or body modifications? Also will i need to adjust the tranny mount for a 4l60e trans? Wiring how hard is it to modify a fbody harness to work or do they have a painless harness for this swap? Do not currently have the truck, just tryin to get some basic info on the swap and the difficulty level.

Last edited by Verz; 08-02-2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
MR. GERBIK

Re: LT1 into S10

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/swapping-heres-a-list-of-parts-and-answered-questions-23481/
Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #3

thanks for the link, but doesnt say whether i need new fuel lines fuel pump, or trans mounts.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
gtfo now

But the answers to those questions can still be found in that thread, as well as elsewhere in this section if you look hard enough.

You also need to tell us what year your truck is and what engine was in it.

But to answer your questions...

Cooling, don't know, you didn't tell us what truck you have. But a 4.3 radiator will do you fine.

Fuel system, don't know, you didn't tell us what truck you have.

The headers are the same swap headers as for the gen I small blocks. Again, I can't give you a good recomendation without knowing what truck you have, some may have fitment issues, some won't.

As for the tranny crossmember, you may be able to use it as stock, you may not. Depends on your truck (which you didn't tell us anything about) and how far back you mount your engine.

Your best bet for wiring is to talk to Jared at Current Performance, he sponsors this section, links to his site are all over the place. I think he does harnesses for the LT1s, but you'll have to talk to him to find out. Of course, this depends on what your truck and old engine were as well...

As for difficulty, basic mechanic skills are needed, but you can make it as complicated as you want.

By the way, do you even have the engine?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by Verz
Do not currently have the truck, just tryin to get some basic info on the swap and the difficulty level.
As stated above do not have the truck yet, in the process of finding one. Have a motor lined up just need to check it out make sure its usable. From your comments i take it that the swap is easier with a 4.3 vehicle rather than a 2.2. Im just gathering info at the moment to know what ill be getting myself into.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:53 AM   #6
gtfo now

If you have your choise of truck then I'd get a later model 4.3 so that you already have a radiator, transmission, and a fuel system that will support the LT1. But otherwise it really doesn't make much difference.

A TBI fuel system will need to be upgraded in order to support the pressures the LT1 needs, so it's best to save yourself the trouble and get a truck that already has a high pressure fuel system. In addition to the later model 4.3s (the Vortecs), the 2.2's fuel system puts out enough pressure for the LT1.

The LT1 will be expensive, though, because parts for them are not as widely available as those for gen 1 and gen 3 small blocks. So if you don't have the engine I'd suggest maybe an LM7 or LM4, those are the gen 3 5.3s (iron and aluminum blocks, respectively). They can be had for fairly cheap now. Even the LS1s are pretty cheap.

I just talked to a guy who's looking into this swap because he already has the LT1. He's starting to consider getting a different engine because of the expense. But they make good power, at least.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:32 AM   #7

the LT1 i had lined up was 1k for the motor, trans and ecm. I looked into the 5.3, cheapest i found for motor alone was 1200. Parts for the LT1 seem to be on par pricewise with other motors i looked into, atleast on the performance end. With the guy you spoke with was his only concern the cost or was there other factors to make him want a 5.3 swap? Thanks for all the help, preciate it.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
gtfo now

Only concern really was cost. The LT1 was only produced for a few years and the vast majority of parts just don't interchange. The custom wiring harness he had priced for it was a bit over the top. In addition, the Camaro accessories place the A/C comp down low on the driver side afaik, which he didn't like at all. And you really only have the 'vette and Camaro brackets to choose from without going aftermarket. The vette brackets are nice, but as with anything else out of a vette they're more expensive for no other reason than they're out of a vette.

Personally, if I had to choose between a 5.3 and an LT1 with a price difference of only $200, I'd go with the 5.3.

Also, ebay generally has the 5.3s for pretty cheap.

Last edited by bluedragonx; 08-04-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:02 AM   #9

Are parts for the 5.3 and LS1 interchangable? Would a trans from a 4.3 work with the 5.3 or would i need a new one. Asking becasue the 5.3 at 1200 didnt include trans or ecm.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:36 AM   #10
gtfo now

The 4.3 trans will bolt up to the 5.3. Yes, LS1 and 5.3 parts interchange. Same block (as far as bolt-ons are concerned at least) with different different bore and stroke combinations is all.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:38 AM   #11

Thank you very much you have been a big help, will start looking into the 5.3 setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.