How to swap a Vortec 350 into a 4.3 S10/Sonoma - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How to swap a Vortec 350 into a 4.3 S10/Sonoma

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
How to swap a Vortec 350 into a 4.3 S10/Sonoma

Doing a little write-up while it is fresh on my mind. This will be specific to a 2000-2003 s10 with the 0411 silver computer and 2wd......but alot of info will cross over into other years.

First, the engine:

You want a 1996-2003 350 out of a fullsize truck or an express/savanna van. If it is out of a 2500 or larger pickup, you will have to change the oil pan to the 1500. It will not clear the crossmember.

Things you want to do before install to the 350:

Well make sure it is a good engine. If it has too many miles on it I would rebuild it just for peace of mind, even if it is a good running motor. You do not want to be pulling this motor again in 20k miles.

AT THE VERY LEAST, change the intake gaskets.

I would also recommend changing the spider injector to the updated version.

Check the distributor gear for wear, and the shaft for side to side play.

Change the water pump. They are $40 for a brand new one. Again, peace of mind.

PAINT IT. This will make it look much much better when installed.

Things you will need before you start this:

Motor mounts.
Many different companies make them, including JTR and Current Performance. I went with the JTR.

Headers.
4 options here. Heddman, Sanderson, Ebay stainless.....all shorties. Or, if you dare(you will have to move your fuel lines), longtubes. I used the Heddmans. You have to specify bigger flanges with the heddmans. They come with 2".

Radiator.
Most people use the 1986-ish Corvette radiator. This requires cutting on the core support. And requires an adapter for the lower radiator hose. I used the stock 4.3 radiator. I figured if I have to cut, might as well make my stock one work. That way I was able to use the stock tranny cooler and oil cooler. There is other options that do not require cutting. Current Performance makes one that fits in the stock location. But its 500 bucks. I will post pics of the stock radiator frenched later in this post.

Fan.
I used the stock clutch fan that was on my 350. My 350 came out of a 1996 2500HD. You may want to go with an electric fan...I will be later when money allows.

Here are the electric fan options.
If you use the stock radiator(16x26 inches), a 2000-ish Dodge Intrepid fan will fit PERFECT. And will keep it cool. Also only pulls 14-16 amps. Also, a mid 90's Volvo fan will fit perfect.....but pulls around 40-50 amps. You can also use an early-mid 90's Nissan Quest fan. Fits like stock and pulls only 20 amps.

If you go with the Corvette radiator(16x23 inches), your options change. A ford Taurus fan fits it perfect. The 1995 and below single fan dual speed ones. You can also mod the Nissan Quest fan and make it fit.

The biggest thing to remember here, is 1 or 2 aftermarket fans without a shroud WILL NOT COOL IT WITH AC. You have to run a shrouded setup to get maximum airflow over the radiator.

AC condenser.
No matter what, when you move the radiator forward, your stock condenser is not going to work anymore. Some people modify the hood latch bracket and move it to the front of the core support. Other option is the Current Performance one. It will fit behind the core support.

Computer.
With a 2000 and up, you can use your factory 0411 computer. It will need to be reflashed. Many places do this. I tried Wait4me, and got screwed. It did not work. Engine only ran on 5 cyl. I now have a Current Performance computer in there and it runs great.

Companies that do this:
Pcmforless
Current Performance
Black Bear Performance
And many others....

Harness.
On the 2000-2003, use your 4.3 harness. You only have to add the 2 injector wires, add a 1 wire knock sensor, and separate the low side ground for the O2 sensors. I will get into wiring specifics later.

Tranny.
The 4L60E will work fine. I am sure the 5 speed will work fine too. You will have to get different bellhousing bolts. The 4.3 are metric and the 350 are not.

Starter.
The stock 4.3 starter will work fine on either flexplate as long as the 5.7L was from a 1500 truck with 4L60e. My engine was from a 2500 with 4L80e so I could not use the flexplate. Again, the bolts on the 4.3 are metric and the 350 are not.

OK......next post will concern install. More to come.

Last edited by AVTekk; 09-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #2

Re: How to swap a Vortec 350 into a 4.3 S10/Sonoma

Now we are ready to do the swap. I found it easier to pull the motor and tranny together. There is not dust cover on the 4.3 bellhousing. You have to unbolt the flexplate/torque converter bolts thru the starter hole.....good luck doing that in the vehicle.

You need to "massage" a couple of places before you throw the 350 in. Passenger side will need a good hammering for the header collector to clear the firewall. You will also need to fold the seam back in the tranny tunnel. Took me a total of 10 minutes to do this.

On to install of the 350.

This should be real straight forward. MAKE SURE you install it with the headers. Otherwise you will be like me and be cussing when you have to halfway pull the engine back out.

Also, install it with the fuel lines. They are impossible to install with the motor in.

Motor mount adjustment:
Most of the mounts you buy have a top and bottom hole, and about 2" adjustment front to back. If you want to run AC and want your hood to close, use the bottom holes on the motor mounts.

If you do not want to shorten your driveshaft, put the motor as far forward as you can get it. I did this and still fit a clutch fan in front.

From here, its easy. All the 4.3 accessories will fit right on the 350 with no mods.

Just start bolting everything back up.....and now we are ready for the core support cutting and the wiring.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

I will start with cutting the core support. I will be pretty straight forward. I cut the top, some people cut the bottom. I will let the pics do the talking.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #4

Now its time for wiring. This is what most people want to know. You will want to wire it as a 2002 Express van with a 5.7. You will have to run 3 wires(4 if you turn on the electric fan pin). 2 injector grounds and a single wire knock sensor.

Wiring:
First thing you will need is some pins for the computer. You will get 2 off the old knock sensor pins, but you still need 2 more. Junkyard is the best place. Just cut off a whole computer harness.

Here is the injector pinout you will use. I am not going to resize it so it is easier to read.

The easiest way to do this is just swap the pics at the injector plug. You have to change it to the v8 one anyways. Just make sure the correct pins go to the correct injector. The pink wires are the 12v positive. Just splice the 2 added pink injector wires into any other pink.

And just in case the photo dissapears...

Injector 1: pin 36
Injector 2: pin 3
Injector 3: pin 4
Injector 4: pin 43
Injector 5: pin 76
Injector 6: pin 37
Injector 7: pin 44
Injector 8: pin 77

Now the knock sensor. Go to the hardware store and get a 1/4 brass NPT elbow. The knock sensor will not clear the motor mount unless you add the elbow.

The knock sensor will go to pin 51.

You will need Express Van O2 sensors, the Bosch part number is 13474.

My O2 sensors were taking forever to warm up, so I measured heater voltage at the O2 plugs and had zero. After a review of the wiring differences between the 2002 S10 and a 2002 Express van, I found that the S10 O2's used a PWM heater circuit driven by the computer, and the Express van O2's were just plain old fused 12V that are on anytime the key is in the run position. Well that explains it. Just the simple flash to the Express van OS in the computer makes them not work. This all comes back to the s10 using signal ground O2's, and the express van using case ground.

O2 heater wire pins on 02 S10, these pins are in the red plug:

Pin 74: O2 B1S1 and B2S1 high(+12V positive)

Pin 80: O2 B1S1 and B2S1 low(ground)

Pin 72 O2 B1S2 low(ground), after cat

The after cat O2 has its own 20A fuse in the underhood fuse box. I simply spliced into that wire at the fuse box plug, and ran it in the harness and tied it to the wire that was in pin 74. This 20 amp circuit should be more than enough to carry all 3 heaters.

The 02 Express van diagram showed the ground for the heater circuit tied into the alternator bracket, and sure enough there was a ground point on the side. so I ran the ground(pin 80) to this point, and finished it with a ring terminal.

This morning on a cold start it took about 5 seconds for my O2's to start switching, where before it took a good 3-5 minutes. And it really changed my fuel trims...for the good.

You will also need a mass air meter from the 5.7 engine. The 4.3 one will not work unless you tune it in.

And if anyone wants to review the ECU wiring diagrams all this info came from, here they are.

Various years S10:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...hiODIzMTRhNzdh

And the Vortec 5.7 0411 computer diagrams:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4qs...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by AVTekk; 09-04-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

that should about cover most peoples questions. Ifyou have any for this specific swap feel free to ask....I will gladly answer them.

One thing i forgot is the brake lines will touch the header. You will have to bend them out of the way.

And for some finished product pics...

Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
If ya aint 1st your last!

So have ya drove it with the clutch fan?

Im curious to how good it works cause Im thinking of running mine threw the winter and changing before next summer, however my 84 s10 is running a older carbed 350 and no ac or heater!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #7

looks nice and clean, im planning the same swap into my 98 jimmy, 4x4, i know i have to get the oil pan and such, but just out of curiosity, why not use the doner vehicles harness and ecm? and do all of your gauges work? id assume the only ones that would be affected is the rpm and temp? sorry for all of the questions lol, just trying to straighten everything out before i start
Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by 350Jimmy
looks nice and clean, im planning the same swap into my 98 jimmy, 4x4, i know i have to get the oil pan and such, but just out of curiosity, why not use the doner vehicles harness and ecm? and do all of your gauges work? id assume the only ones that would be affected is the rpm and temp? sorry for all of the questions lol, just trying to straighten everything out before i start

on the vortec swap, there is minimal wiring to be done. If you swap the harness from another vehicle, you are talking about tons of hours.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
If ya aint 1st your last!

whats the shroud from?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
where it all begann

i“m currently rebuilding a “99 4wd s10 truck.shall i switch to a “00 or newer pcm or can i use my original with the mentioned mods?,swedp
Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
whats the shroud from?

the stock one from the truck...just modified a bit
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #12

I've got a 02 with a 4.3 auto, the motor crapped the bed, and I want to do a swap, I did one old school on my 95, but I don't want to butcher up this truck, its really nice. I was wondering, if I could take a 350 that would bolt up to my accessories on the v6, and just do a carb and intake swap, would my gauges and speedo still work or would they not, because i'm not all that crazy about the throttle body injection on these motors. Hope I worded everything right, any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by GATORZQ8
I've got a 02 with a 4.3 auto, the motor crapped the bed, and I want to do a swap, I did one old school on my 95, but I don't want to butcher up this truck, its really nice. I was wondering, if I could take a 350 that would bolt up to my accessories on the v6, and just do a carb and intake swap, would my gauges and speedo still work or would they not, because i'm not all that crazy about the throttle body injection on these motors. Hope I worded everything right, any help would be appreciated.
you can make the tach work, but not the speedo. And they are not throttle body injected. They are full multi port.

Also found out you have to change your O2 sensors to a case ground style. 33474 is the Bosche part number.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by lwrs10
you can make the tach work, but not the speedo. And they are not throttle body injected. They are full multi port.

Also found out you have to change your O2 sensors to a case ground style. 33474 is the Bosche part number.
Thanks for the answer, I think I'll go with the injected style, just need to find a motor with the intake, was looking online to find a intake for the vortec motors and didn't realize that it was a two piece. guess Im to old school when it comes to my motors.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #15

One more question, does the two extra wires for the injectors, plug into the connector were the v6 connector is, is there room for the wires on the plug or do I need to the 5.7 plug
Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #16

One more question, does the two extra wires for the injectors, plug into the connector were the v6 connector is, is there room for the wires on the plug or do I need to the 5.7 plug
you have to use the 5.7 plug.

since you have the same year as I do...and i just did the swap on a 4.3 auto......PM me your number if you want and I can talk you thru it.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #17

you have to use the 5.7 plug.

since you have the same year as I do...and i just did the swap on a 4.3 auto......PM me your number if you want and I can talk you thru it.
I really appreciate the help, I have to get my motor, and then I'll pm you my number once I get the old 4.3 out, I found a pretty good deal on vortec 5.7's on ebay for 950.00 complete with harness and computer, and accessories. Its hear in florida, over in homestead. Which aint that far of a drive for me, since Im in fort myers.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #18

I read back over the thread, and I saw the O2 sensor has to be changed, when we change the headers, to we have to run o2 sensors on each side or do we keep them in the stock locations, also does the headers hook up to the stock exhaust. Just trying to put together a budget for the build, trying to think of all the possibilities of a snag.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #19

I read back over the thread, and I saw the O2 sensor has to be changed, when we change the headers, to we have to run o2 sensors on each side or do we keep them in the stock locations, also does the headers hook up to the stock exhaust. Just trying to put together a budget for the build, trying to think of all the possibilities of a snag.
you have to get new exhaust.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Afterhours Admin

Good how-to man, I'll add it to the forums database soon. I added the o2 info to the orig post as well. Let me know if you need me to edit anything.

On the radiator issue, I always use 4.3 rad for my v8 swaps, never had a problem. My buddy has the 5.7 swap in his s10, his rad blew a seal, and got the all aluminum vette rad even tho I told him not to, and it ran 20 degrees hotter than the 4.3 rad. He sent it back and replaced it with another 4.3 rad. As for placement, he has the condenser in the stock location, with the rad frenched in maybe half as much as your pictures, with efans. Ive never had to replace the stock condenser on a v8 swap, but I always run efans too.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #21

Quote: Originally Posted by AVTekk
Good how-to man, I'll add it to the forums database soon. I added the o2 info to the orig post as well. Let me know if you need me to edit anything.

On the radiator issue, I always use 4.3 rad for my v8 swaps, never had a problem. My buddy has the 5.7 swap in his s10, his rad blew a seal, and got the all aluminum vette rad even tho I told him not to, and it ran 20 degrees hotter than the 4.3 rad. He sent it back and replaced it with another 4.3 rad. As for placement, he has the condenser in the stock location, with the rad frenched in maybe half as much as your pictures, with efans. Ive never had to replace the stock condenser on a v8 swap, but I always run efans too.

I would love to see some pics using the stock condenser. Gonna be installing one this weekend and would like some more ideas.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
SSRT-S10

Not trying to upset anyone here.., I'm just curious. Is it just me or is the passenger side valve cover on backwards ??? OR was it the driver's side and it got flipped to the passenger side due to the position of the throttle body/air cleaner cover tube layout???

I noticed it from the oil fill tube sitting against the evap cover and thought that to be a wee bit strange.

BTW.., good how-to there..., I would love to see the pin-out conversion specs/sheet to convert the injectors/o2's (black box pcm) to the 0411 pcm(silver ribbed pcm)
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by my_nightmare
Not trying to upset anyone here.., I'm just curious. Is it just me or is the passenger side valve cover on backwards ??? OR was it the driver's side and it got flipped to the passenger side due to the position of the throttle body/air cleaner cover tube layout???

I noticed it from the oil fill tube sitting against the evap cover and thought that to be a wee bit strange.

BTW.., good how-to there..., I would love to see the pin-out conversion specs/sheet to convert the injectors/o2's (black box pcm) to the 0411 pcm(silver ribbed pcm)

you are correct! you have to swap the valve covers around or the oil fill tube hits the air intake tube. It has a good 2 inches of clearance.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
Afterhours Admin

I would love to see some pics using the stock condenser. Gonna be installing one this weekend and would like some more ideas.
No prob, he should be by again this week and I'll take a pic.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
Extended cab or no cab.

Awesome how-to! As someone who has done this swap in my '99, you hit some very good points. I switched from black box PCM to the 0411. Even with repinning the entire harness, it was a very simple and straight forward install with the 5.7.

I am running the stock 5spd, I used the 5.7 flywheel and clutch. Original starter and it meshed up fine.

I am surprised you got the clutch fan to fit. I have my radiator recessed into the core support and the engine all the way forward to keep my stock driveshaft and I only had about 1/8-1/4" of room with the clutch fan, I never drove it this way and added intrepid electric fans which are triggered in the PCM.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #26

Hi there, new here and want to do this swap. I noticed you said this is for the silver ecu.
I have a few questions about that
1) is the RHD model the same wiring harness?
2) what needs to be done for the black ecu?
I have a 2000 RHD Jap import blazer
Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #27

Hi I have a 98 dime with the 4.3l! Will the harness adapt the same as the 2000+?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #28

Here is the O2 low side pinout with the rear O2 sensors deleted. The high side remains untouched.

Bank 1 sensor 1: pin 29
Bank 2 sensor 1: pin 26

You will also need a mass air meter from the 5.7 engine. The 4.3 one will not work unless you tune it is.
How did you come to these two things? I've never heard them, but I've had a few problems with mine since I did the swap and these may be the problem.

Edit: I just ran part numbers for a '96 Sonoma, a '97 C1500, and an '01 Express van and they all came back with the same part number for the O2 sensors. The MAF part number was different.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
Slumerican Shitizen

User is: Online

How about doing this on a 95 with obd1?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #30

Quote: Originally Posted by RedNoma
How did you come to these two things? I've never heard them, but I've had a few problems with mine since I did the swap and these may be the problem.

Edit: I just ran part numbers for a '96 Sonoma, a '97 C1500, and an '01 Express van and they all came back with the same part number for the O2 sensors. The MAF part number was different.
because on a 2001-2003 s10's the O2 sensors are different. the 97 1500 maf and the 01 express use the same maf btw.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #31
95 extended cab

i have a 95 CFI 4.3 vortec and wanting to do this swap. from what i'm reading and seen i want a 96 and up 5.7 and not looking good for my year. what am i going to have to do here to make this setup work for me.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #32

Awesome write up, as I was reading I was visualizing every aspect...
Old 10-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #33
95 extended cab

Correction its a TBI.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #34

How much Crosses to a 4wd truck? Oil pan differences?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #35

Quote: Originally Posted by 82SROD
How much Crosses to a 4wd truck? Oil pan differences?
i think its just oil pan and headers.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #36

damn this thread died......just got my truck up and running again after a cam swap and custom intake.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #37

update to the wiring part. Admin please add this to the wiring post.

My O2 sensors were taking forever to warm up, so I measured heater voltage at the O2 plugs and had zero.

After a review of the wiring differences between the 2002 S10 and a 2002 Express van, I found that the S10 O2's used a PWM heater circuit driven by the computer, and the Express van O2's were just plain old fused 12V that are on anytime the key is in the run position. Well that explains it. Just the simple flash to the Express van OS in the computer makes them not work. This all comes back to the s10 using signal ground O2's, and the express van using case ground.

O2 heater wire pins on 02 S10:

These pins are in the red plug.

Pin 74: O2 B1S1 and B2S1 high(+12V positive)

Pin 80: O2 B1S1 and B2S1 low(ground)

Pin 72 O2 B1S2 low(ground), after cat

The after cat O2 has its own 20A fuse in the underhood fuse box. I simply spliced into that wire at the fuse box plug, and ran it in the harness and tied it to the wire that was in pin 74. This 20 amp circuit should be more than enough to carry all 3 heaters.

The 02 Express van diagram showed the ground for the heater circuit tied into the alternator bracket, and sure enough there was a ground point on the side. so I ran the ground(pin 80) to this point, and finished it with a ring terminal.

This morning on a cold start it took about 5 seconds for my O2's to start switching, where before it took a good 3-5 minutes. And it really changed my fuel trims...for the good.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #38

and if anyone wants to review the ECU wiring diagrams all this info came from, here they are.

Various years S10:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...hiODIzMTRhNzdh

And the Vortec 5.7 0411 computer diagrams:

Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #39

ok what about taking a 283, rebuilding it, putting a cam in it, putting like edelbrock vortec heads on it along with a port matched intake off of a 350 and wiring it up as you did. any thoughts on this idea? I have a couple 283s layin around and was tossing around ideas of what to do with them.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #40

Thinking about doing this to my 2002 GMC sonoma with the 4.3. Few questions.

Have you had to do anything to the tranny like a shift kit of upgrading it in anyway to handle the extra power?

What rearend are you using? Stock or switched it out and if kept stock did you change the gears in it like 3.73's?

Last question.

You said you put a cam in it. Can i also bore the cylinders and have bigger heads or is it plenty of power for the truck with just stock motor with cam and intake?

Thanks a lot and sorry for so many questions.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #41
Wanna Play a Game?

Very good write up brother!

This thread with all the links will get most of you 2wd guys 90% of the way done with your builds.

If anyone wants info on a 4x4 swap, look up my build thread: 96 Blazer V8 Build!!!

I did virtually the same swap in my 96 blazer!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #42

Will everything be the same with a 99 chevy s10? The Computer is black. Never seen a silver one. Ever.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #43

this thread is awsome. Answered many of my questions on my vortec 350 swap im looking to do in my 03 ext cab s-10 4x4
Old 06-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #44
Slammed 96

So is there a certain reason you can't just use the computer from whatever vehicle you get the motor out of? Then just pin in your select few wires and drive the thing. Or is there something in the leftlock to where you can't do that?

Just wondering cause I have an 02 Chevy express w/5.7L in the back yard that's wrecked. Also have a 99 GMC Jimmy/Envoy edition I wouldn't mind doing this swap on.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #45
Wanna Play a Game?

Quote: Originally Posted by JB87BlazerS
So is there a certain reason you can't just use the computer from whatever vehicle you get the motor out of? Then just pin in your select few wires and drive the thing. Or is there something in the leftlock to where you can't do that?

Just wondering cause I have an 02 Chevy express w/5.7L in the back yard that's wrecked. Also have a 99 GMC Jimmy/Envoy edition I wouldn't mind doing this swap on.

Sure can, the biggest thing is the wire harness. Most full size vehicles have the PCM on the drivers side of the engine. The s series is on the pass. side.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #46
Slammed 96

Quote: Originally Posted by Countryboy732
Sure can, the biggest thing is the wire harness. Most full size vehicles have the PCM on the drivers side of the engine. The s series is on the pass. side.
So you can use the computer and not have to pay to flash the other one OK thank you I'm going to try and do this as cheap as possible I'm ballin on a real short budget thank to the wife lol

On another note country boy I read through your thread since yours is 4x4 as is mine. But my ? Is would the stock pan clear or is it a guarantee you'll have to but an aftermarket pan.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #47
Wanna Play a Game?

You have to buy a pan no matter what. Before you go diving into the pcm situation, Double check that the jimmy has a silver (0411) PCM. If not, you'll have to repin the harness like I did. When you get serious about purchasing a pan, let me know, I solid axle swapped my truck and have no use for my pan that's on my motor already. I'm going to switch back to a stock pan. I'll let it go for cheap. I'll even throw in the pickup tube as well.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #48
Slammed 96

Quote: Originally Posted by Countryboy732
You have to buy a pan no matter what. Before you go diving into the pcm situation, Double check that the jimmy has a silver (0411) PCM. If not, you'll have to repin the harness like I did. When you get serious about purchasing a pan, let me know, I solid axle swapped my truck and have no use for my pan that's on my motor already. I'm going to switch back to a stock pan. I'll let it go for cheap. I'll even throw in the pickup tube as well.

Sounds good it'll be a little while before it all goes down I'm gonna rebuild the motor out of the van first and I believe I'll have to go through and Repin everything cause I'm almost positive my jimmy has the black top computer
Old 06-26-2014, 04:49 AM   #49
Slammed 96

Got another ? For you guys if my 0411 computer comes from an express van to begin with, will there be any flashing or reprogramming needed? I have been bouncing around from forum to forum and some say yes and some say no can one of y'all clarify for me please and thank you

Jake
Old 06-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #50
Wanna Play a Game?

Quote: Originally Posted by JB87BlazerS
Got another ? For you guys if my 0411 computer comes from an express van to begin with, will there be any flashing or reprogramming needed? I have been bouncing around from forum to forum and some say yes and some say no can one of y'all clarify for me please and thank you

Jake

There may be things in the tune itself you may want to change but as far as making the vehicle run and drive, no. My truck thinks it's an express van.

I've changed a few things within the tune itself but never had to completely re flash the PCM for the swap.

I'm running electric fans that I've got controlled by the PCM and have changed shift points and apply pressure but that's about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.