Hard starting with edelbrock 1406. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Hard starting with edelbrock 1406.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Pimp in training! I wish!

User is: OffLine
Hard starting with edelbrock 1406.

I am working on my 87 dodge ramcharger and I posted this same question on ramcharger central and the only awnser I got was to try a fuel filter without a return line to the tank. If you read the question I stated that before I adjusted the air fuel mix it started fine. I hope you guys can be more help just dont rip on me till you read it I am not proud of owning a dodge but it if fun having a big beater trunk.

I have searched all over and talked to all of the old guys I know but I don't know a lot about carbs and have not got it working right yet. I was told to try adjusting it with a vac. gauge and it was to hard to see a change on my gauge. I installed the carb an took off all of the emissions crap all at once. It started fine and I ran it a few times with no problems so I adjusted the air/fuel like in the dvd and went to a friends house while I was showing it to him I saw that I forgot the kick down linkage so I put it on. That was the start of the problem. I then stopped at a friends dads house and he checked the air fuel and it seemed fine. If it is cold it will crank for awhile then pop off but not run I can hit the gas a little when it pops and it will start. If it is warm it will crank for about 10 to 15 seconds then I can pump it a few times and it will start. I have tried one pump before cranking and it is harder to get going. No binding on anything and no vac. leaks and like I said before I adjusted the air/fuel it started with no gas after 2 to 3 seconds at most . I got the truck from my dad as a gift ( he gave it to me for sentimental reasons because it was the first brand new truck he ever bought and I was 4 yrs old and remember it like yesterday) and it is embarrassing to take it over to show off what I have done to it when I have to sit in front of his house cranking it all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
It's "Neanderthal"

Re: Hard starting with edelbrock 1406.

Is the electric choke adjusted? When you start it cold you should step on the gas pedal to the floor once, that sets the choke on and gives you a squirt of gas from the accelerator pump. When it's fully warmed up you should only need to turn the key to start it. Setting the idle mixture with a vacuum gage is a good way to do it, but remember, all that does is give you a stable idle, it has nothing to do with starting or even driving. Check over your initial timing, too much advance can make it hard to start, use 8 to 12 degrees.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #3

I fooled with mine forever in a day. Ended up replacing it with a holley and it went away. Same problems you are having. So I am of no luck. Except that it is stamped right there on the front of the carb "edelbrock". lol
Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #4

The choke is not adjusted or hooked up but I dont think that it has anything to do with it. I talked to a guy I work with and he said to check the float level and to see if it has a "bloody nose". It seam to make sence that if the float is to high or fuel presure is to high it could flood out when sitting but I cant see anything like that happening because it started just as fast as my 99 sonoma untill I adjusted the idle mix screws. I dont think I will beable to check it till sunday but for now thanks and anymore info would be awsome I am learning a lot from this whole project and want to know more for future things that come up and tuning for later mods.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
It's "Neanderthal"

The choke has eveything to do with it on a cold start.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #6

I know but it was never hooked up and at first started fine hot or cold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.